Day 48

2013, Year of Us

Sunday February 17th, 2013

University students are known for being lazy, sleeping in whenever they have time. Perhaps it was force of habit, but at 7AM sharp, Yu-ki was already up and getting ready for the day.

“Yooki, are you ready?” Jongin’s voice drifted through the door with a soft knock.

“In a sec.” she yelled back checking herself one last time in the mirror before grabbing her purse and walking out the door. Yu-ki had opted to dress lightly as it was much warmer in Hong Kong than in Korea.

“What’s the plan for the day?” she asked the group as they walked out of the hotel. Even though it was early morning, that didn’t stop people from making their morning commute as the streets were filled with traffic.

“Well, we wanted to ask you where you wanted to go.” Kyungsoo piped up from beside Jongin. “You do know this place best. Surprise us.”

              

“What is this?” Chanyeol asked bending the card between his fingers.

“This is your octopus card. It’s the Hong Kong equivalent of Seoul’s T-money card.” Yu-ki explained. “I thought you guys said you’ve been here before.”

“We have.” Baekhyun said. “But this is our first time alone. I told you, you never allowed us to come here.” He beeped his card and walked down to the subway lines. The others followed, leaving Yu-ki to her thoughts.

“You coming?” Jongdae prodded her. She nodded once and made it just in time to pull the boys off of the wrong train.

 

  40 minutes later, they made it to their destination.

“This is where you wanted to take us?” Kyungsoo held up a hand to block the sun. “You wanted to go on the cable car.”

“Hey, I remember reading about this while I was in Vancouver.” Yu-ki defended. “I really wanted to come here back then.” She walked forward towards the line-up.

              

"Welcome to Ngong Ping 360, how may I help you?” the ticket sales man said from behind the glass.

“Hi, can I get 6 round trip tickets in the crystal cabin please.” Yu-ki responded.

“Yooki, what is he saying?” Chanyeol asked trying to push his way in front of the glass window. “You said you were going to translate for us.”

“I can translate!” Jongdae shouted happily.

“No you can’t.” Kyungsoo scoffed. “You can barely speak Mandarin, what makes you think you know Cantonese.”

“Oh my god, can you guys shut up, you’re attracting attention.” Baekhyun tried to hide his face form the nearby judging stares.

“Jongin,” Yu-ki hissed to the boy beside her. “Can you please tell them to be quiet before we get kicked out for being a public nuisance?” she turned back and tried to smile at the man behind the counter.

“A-are you Li Yu-ki?” he stuttered. Yu-ki nodded once slowly not sure where he was going with this. “I’m sorry, but do you mind waiting a bit?”

“Why is he picking up a phone?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “Is he going to call the police?”

“I told you we were going to get kicked out.” Jongin explained.

“You’re not a wanted criminal here are you?” Baekhyun asked walking to stand beside her. “Is that why you always refused to come here?” Yu-ki couldn’t even make a proper retort because she honestly didn’t know if that was true.

“Li Yu-ki?” another man had appeared behind the glass.

“Yes?” She answered nervously not sure what to expect. “Is there a problem?”

“No, no problem at all.” Yu-ki heaved a sigh of relief. “We just wanted to upgrade you and your friends to the private cabin. Your father’s outlet mall beside us had given us a lot of tourist attraction, and we would like to thank you for it.”

 

 

 

 

Day one in Hong Kong is spent at Ngong Ping (Running Man went there!). There's also a bit of her family business revealed there. And yes there is an outlet mall next to the cable car. Things will become more clear in the future.