Day 39

2013, Year of Us

Friday February 8th, 2013

“What are you doing here?” Kris stopped dead in his tracks, his hand froze in the air, spoon half way to his mouth. Slowly he lowered his ice cream and turned to face his sister who was sitting at the kitchen table.

“What are you talking about?” he asked handing her the spoon along with the tub of ice cream. Yu-ki didn’t look away from for computer screen but took the spoon anyway.

“Why are you here in Korea?” she finally turned to look at him. “Why are you teaching English to some middle school students? You don’t even like kids.”

“Why do I need a reason?” he challenged. “Can’t I want to do something just for the sake of it?”

“Yeah, normal people can, but you’re Kris.” She told him, “You’ve never did something just for the fun of it.” Yu-ki took another bite of ice cream. “Even when you do something stupid, you always have a reason in the end. So,” she looked him in the eye. “Why are you here?” Kris sighed loudly taking the ice cream from her hands.

"I did this for you.” He said taking a bite of the icy treat. “You gave up so much by moving to Guangzhou. I had to make sure you were adjusting okay.” He had all of her attention now. “Since your father practically left you to take care of yourself, someone had to make sure you were doing okay. Mom couldn’t do it, so I volunteered.” Kris turned to look at Yu-ki with sad eyes. “It’s alright though. Minseok’s great and my colleagues are helpful. Even your friends are polite.” He said with a laugh. Never knowing what her brother did for her, Yu-ki wrapped an arm around his waist and lightly rested her head on his abdomen.

“My friends are only polite to you because you scare them.”

 

(Ten minutes later, Minseok found the two siblings still chatting and sharing the tub of ice cream. “Gross you two. If you’re going to finish a tub of ice cream at least have the decency to save some for me.” He said when he saw the two. Yu-ki generously offered him the spoon but he walked away muttering something about being an only child and proper utensil sharing etiquette.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N]: Is it weird for siblings to share spoons? I dunno.