Day 6

2013, Year of Us

Sunday January 6th, 2013

It was working. Yu-ki was remembering. Nothing as major as understanding a new language, but small things like where the cups were kept in the cupboard or how she liked her coffee (or that she even liked coffee in the first place). Although she could understand Korean well enough, given you spoke slowly and clearly, she still had difficulty speaking it. Perhaps being in familiar environments really did help. The most familiar of places right now was her house, more specifically, her bedroom.

Wandering about the room, she stopped at the desk. On top of it laid several pictures. She must have been working on a project before leaving for her party. Picking up one photo gently, she examined its image. It was a portrait of a young man in black and white. She didn’t recognize him. She did however, recognize the room it was shot in. The chair and picture hanging on the wall was an exact likeness of the living room she had passed on the way to her bedroom. This person must have been someone she knew and trusted as she had invited them over to her home. There were two other pictures of the same shoot with different people, one of which Yu-ki recognized as her brother.

Going through the other things in her room, she located a bright box labelled ‘Memories’. Well, that’s convenient. Tossing the lid off the box, Yu-ki found it to be filled with photos. I guess majoring in Photography meant that the past few years were well documented. Grabbing a handful, she started to go through them. Pictures of Kris. Pictures of the boy from the other day, Kim Jongin. Pictures of those two mysterious males from her living room. Pictures of Minseok. And pictures of strangers who Yu-ki assumed were friends and acquaintances. The backgrounds varied from outdoors to what looked like a studio and even a few from stage shows.

 It felt weird. She had no recollection of any of these moments and made her feel like she was going through other people’s things.

In the sea of faces, a piece of writing stood out.

Park Chanyeol Do Kyungsoo
December 16th, 2011
First Snow

She flipped it over. It was a picture of two males surrounded by a flurry of falling snow. Both were around her age, and both strikingly handsome. Were all the people she surrounded herself with this beautiful? Jongin whom she had met the other day was above average in terms of looks and she had to admit, even her brother had changed drastically, last she remembered, he was going through that awkward stage of life. Yu-ki on the other hand, was still coming to terms with her own beauty. She couldn’t get used to the face staring back at her in the mirror every morning. To her it was a different person. It might as well be, that person, she didn’t know her.