Day 64

2013, Year of Us

Tuesday March 5th, 2013

“When was the last time I went back home?” Yu-ki asked her brother as she burrowed into the couch. The two were passing the night with some much needed sibling time by watching their favourite movie. “Vancouver I mean. When was the last time I went to Vancouver?” she clarified though they both understood that Vancouver was her home and not Guangzhou.

“Let’s see,” Kris said as he walked into the living room with a bowl of popcorn. “Well, after that time you went there by yourself, I don't think you went back. So, almost 6 years.”

“6 years.” She let that information sink for a while. “That’s a long time. How’s mom? and Ta- everyone else? All my friends?”

Kris raised an eyebrow having clearly caught the name she almost said. “Mom is fine. She still teaches at the university so she’s probably super busy all the time. A few of your friends are in her class too. Not that it really helps them. She is ruthless in the classroom.” He joked. “From what I know, most of your friends are in university now. I heard one of them went into Journalism.” He hinted looking Yu-ki directly in the eye.

“That’s good. Following their dreams.” She whispered as she focused on the movie.

 

The siblings drifted off into silence as they watched the movie until the credits started to roll. Getting off the couch to stretch his long limbs, Kris turned to his sister who was struggling to stay awake. Gently rousing her from her sleepy state, he helped her up and towards the direction of her bedroom. “Go brush your teeth and go to bed.”

“Night Kris.” Yu-ki said as she yawned. “We should do this more often. I don’t spend enough time with you.”

“Just like old times right? Only I could do without the 20 questions. I honestly can’t help you with that.” He told her seriously.

“How did you know about that?” Yu-ki asked. She didn’t recall telling her brother about that.

“Chanyeol told me.” Kris shrugged like it was obvious. “That kid is weird. He likes updating me on random things that happen within your little group. I don’t even remember giving him my number.”

              

That night, lying in bed, Yu-ki thought back to her conversation with her brother. 6 years since the last time she went home. Maybe it was time to go back to where everything ended.