Day 71

2013, Year of Us

Tuesday March 12th, 2013

News on a university campus spreads fast. Even more so if the news was related to the most feared professor on campus. By late afternoon everyone had their gaze locked onto Yu-Ki. It wasn’t anything she wasn’t used to, everywhere she went attracted stares due to her status, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t unsettling. Even if she walked far behind her mother, people still knew to look for her. The damage was done. The short walk from her mother’s office to the lecture hall where her English literature classes were being held seemed endless. She could feel the weight of everyone’s stares and hear every single hushed whisper asking the same thing. Everyone was curious as to who she was and what her relation was to the one professor everyone wanted to avoid.

“When we get to the lecture hall,” Her mother said startling her, seemingly oblivious to the reactions of those around them.  “You can do whatever you want, I don’t expect you to sit there and take notes, but please don’t distract the rest of the class.”

Yu-ki nodded once though she doubted it would be possible. If a simple glance of her walking between classes was enough to have them whispering for the rest of the day, an hour and half of being in the same room is the equivalent of a years’ worth of conversation. Following after her mother, she took a deep breath before pushing the doors open to the lecture hall.

Almost instantaneously, she could feel 200 pairs of eyes staring her down. Slowly, Yu-ki began to lift her head and sweep the room. She could see everyone whispering to each other and looking her up and down. Finally, she saw what she was looking for. Answers.

 

 

She was here. Standing at the front of the room, she was here. Tao knew it would eventually happen, he just didn’t expect it to be so soon. He could vaguely register his friends and classmates talk about her, but all he could focus on was her. She was scared, uncertain. The was her eyes swept the room, taking in everything. It was too overwhelming. By now she had noticed him too, and the two were just simply frozen in spot staring as if no one else existed. Tao really wanted to reach out for her pull her closer and never let go, but he couldn’t.

“Alright, take a seat.” Professor Wu spoke breaking their trance. “Settle down.” Everyone promptly halted all conversations, but it didn’t stop their wandering eyes.

Tao paid no attention to what professor Wu was saying. He should have felt bad, but he knew that every single person in that class was currently more interested in the girl sitting in the front row all alone and watched as she fiddled with her laptop and camera. To everyone else it probably looked like she was actually getting stuff done, being busy with work, but Tao knew better. He knew that she wasn’t oblivious to the stares and was mostly like having an internal meltdown. Yu-ki was simply keeping her hands busy clicking away randomly at her keys. She felt uncomfortable in an unknown situation. It took her everything to keep from shouting out in agitation. There was only one thing keeping her firmly planted in place and Tao knew exactly what that was. Answers.

 

“I’ll see you guys on Thursday.” Professor Wu dismissed the class though no one was really paying attention in the first place. “Read Chapter 10 and review your material. Finals are coming in about a month.” People began to pack up though slower than usual as they wanted to stay and observe the mysterious new comer. Tao threw everything into his bag and turned to his friends who were, as expected, staring at Yu-Ki.

When everyone was finally packed up, Tao was posed with another problem. Yu-ki and her mother have yet to leave the lecture hall, and in order to get to the doors, Tao would have to walk past her. Taking a deep breath, he looked forward and made his way to the doors purposefully taking the long way around.

“Can I talk to you?” A voice called out. It took all of his will power not to look at her. He could practically hear what his friends were thinking. Taking a chance he turned to look at her. Bad idea. He could see the pleading in her eyes. Heaving a sigh, he swiftly left the room leaving Yu-ki and his friends frozen in place.

 

 

“Do you know her?” One of Tao’s friends asked after catching up with him.

“No.”

“Really? Because it seemed like she knew you.” he said looking back at Yu-ki who was frozen in spot. “She’s kinda hot, hey do you think I could get her number?” Tao whipped around fiercely, looking at Yu-ki over his friend’s shoulder. Slowly he brought his gaze back to his friends.

“No.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N]: This is just the beginning of the Tao/Yu-ki drama. The first bit was Yu-ki's POV and the second bit was from Tao's. The last few lines are more of a general POV but really shows Tao's personality and I promise their history together will become clear very soon. Tao has his reasons for acting hostile. I have a lot planned for the entire stay in Vancouver (like every day planned out). March will be the month where a lot of secrets are revealed and where things really pick up. In the beginning of the story, I was talking about how the entire year is split into three parts four months each and we are nearing the end of the first bit so expect lots of drama.

 

Follow me on social media! Twitter as well as Line and Kakao Talk (message for those). Have a happy day!