Day 69

2013, Year of Us

Sunday March 10th, 2013

Tossing and turning in her bed, Yu-ki couldn’t take it anymore and threw her covers off the bed. Grumbling as she got up blaming jet lag for being awake at the ungodly hour of 6AM, on a Sunday no less, Yu-ki made her way to the bathroom.

Stepping back into her room, she marvelled at how her room had stayed exactly the same despite the 7 year gap. The walls were the exact same shade of white from her memories with striped wallpaper stopping about one third of the way up. Her desk still sat in the corner with a few pictures of her younger self, now covered in dust. Letting nostalgia overtake her for a second, Yu-ki took a deep breath before heading to the kitchen to herself breakfast.

Grabbing a bowl and a spoon, she poured herself some cereal. After spending three months eating rice and stew for breakfast, a nice simple breakfast sounded like heaven.

Shuffling out of the kitchen, Yu-ki made herself comfortable in front of the TV and did what she always did as a child. Watch Sunday morning cartoons.

 

“Good Morning Katie.” Her mother said waltzing into the living room giving her a kiss on the top of her head. “How did you sleep? What time did you wake up?” She asked from the kitchen setting up the coffee maker.

“I woke up at six.  I haven’t woken up at such an hour since-” she paused. The last time she was awake at this time was when she found herself in the hospital after a month long rest. “I slept fine.” Yu-ki went to answer her mother’s other question. “It was a bit weird to be sleeping in that bed again, but otherwise, I slept like a baby.” She grinned up at her mother.

“Good.” Her mother took a seat beside her. “I’ve missed you.” she said after a while. “It’s been far too quiet in this house without you or your brother. We haven’t talked in so long.”

“We talked like last month. For new years.” Yu-ki responded.

“Yeah, but not like this. I haven’t seen you in almost 6 years.” She laughed a little. “Last time I saw you, you were just thirteen. You had hopped on a plane and flew all the way here by yourself. I don’t even think you mentioned it to your father. You just up and left.”

“Yeah. Kris told me that.”

“Speaking of that good-for-nothing son of mine,” she began, “How’s life in Seoul treating him? Can he actually speak the language? He isn’t pushing all his responsibilities to you is he?”

“Kris?” Yu-ki mulled her mother’s question over, “For the first time in his life, he is doing things on his own.” She hadn’t really realized until now, but her brother had changed a lot. Before, everything was handed to him on a silver platter. Seeing him working to make a living was something that she never imagined him to do. “He still sleeps like a koala though.” Yu-ki added.

 

 

 

 

[A/N]: Some background on their family dynamic and Kris' background which I don't think I've ever talked about. His story will be fully revealed much later. Tao will show up in about two updates. Also, Katie has a Canadian Passport and Canadian citizenship (more on that later) and there was something else but I forgot....