Day 54

2013, Year of Us

Saturday February 23rd, 2013

Yu-ki didn’t know if the others had already made plans for their last day in Hong Kong, but there were a few things she needed to do before heading back to Seoul.

“You guys go on ahead, I have a few things I need to take care of first.” She told the guys when they all gathered in the lobby.

“But without you we’re lost.” Jongdae said with a pout.

“You’ll have Yixing. He should be here soon.” Yu-ki glanced towards the doors. “Look, there he is now,” she said waving him over when he came into sight.

“You guys ready to go?” Yixing asked when he reached the group.

“You’re gonna have to have fun without me,” Yu-ki informed him getting up. “I will be doing my own thing today. I probably won’t see you guys ‘til tomorrow.”

“Where will you be going?” Jongin asked worriedly.

“Home.”

Two hours later, Yu-ki was in Guangzhou, the place that she spent half of her life in. Although she was born and raised in Vancouver, Guangzhou held a special place in her heart as the place she came from.

“LKY Group head office please.” She told the taxi driver, relaxing as she smiled at the familiar sights and sounds around her. Soon after, she had reached downtown Guangzhou and all around cars whizzed by and people rushed to get to work. The taxi pulled up in front of a tall building which Yu-ki vaguely recognized as her father’s head office. Thanking her driver, she slowly walked into the building.

 

 

"Do you not know who I am? I don’t need proper authorization.” Yu-ki said exasperatedly for the fifth time. She had gotten into the building easily enough, but actually accessing her father’s office proved to be a different problem. The offices of the higher ups had a separate reception area and security was much heavier.

“I’m sorry, but it’s company policy. I cannot let you through without a company issued identification card.” The receptionist explained once again. He was probably around her brother’s age and was probably on his first shift alone. “Even if you were the president’s daughter I still can’t let you through. I can however, help you schedule an appointment if you wish.” He tried helpfully.

"But that’s what I’ve been telling you, I am his daughter! I don’t need an appointment to see my own father do I?” Yu-ki was close to tearing up.

“I’m sorry, but I’ve been given strict instructions not to let anyone in without an appointment.” He faltered slightly due to her sudden tears, but stood his ground.

“Fine.” She blinked once, all previous traces of wet eyes gone. “But if my father hears about this,” Yu-ki threatened leaving her sentence hanging.

“Kaitlyn? Is that you?” She turned at the sound of a familiar voice behind her.

“Daniel!” she shouted. Yu-ki didn’t recognize the male, but only he called her by that name. “Good, maybe you can let me into the office.” She glared slightly at the boy behind the desk who bowed politely at his senior.

"She doesn’t need an appointment. Kaitlyn is the daughter of president Li.” Daniel informed the boy who immediately bowed to her.

“I apologize for my earlier behaviour Miss Li.” He apologized in fear for his job. “Had I known you were the daughter of president Li, I would have let you in immediately.” She simply waved him off and followed Daniel into the offices.

 

“Did you threaten him or something?” Daniel asked in amusement laughing slightly.

“What?” She defended herself. “He wouldn’t let me in, but I do find his need to follow company policy very commendable.”

"You shouldn’t do that to people Kaitlyn.” He scolded lightly.

“Oh, and please stop calling me Kaitlyn. You know very well that my given name is Katie.”

“Katie sounds like the name of a 12 year old. I’m just giving you a more sophisticated name to suit the young lady that you are.” He placed his things on his desk and went around to the chair. “He’s not doing anything right now. You can go in if you wish.” He pointed to the door behind him before getting settled into his work.

Taking two breaths, she knocked twice before opening the door.

“What is it Daniel?” Her father’s voiced boomed from behind his mahogany desk. “I’m a busy person. What is of such importance that needs my immediate attention?” He looked up and saw not his assistant, but his daughter. “Katie.” His voice dropped to a whisper.

Li Kwok Yeung. Founder and president of LKY Group. A leading figure in the business world who made his fortune through owning shopping malls across Asia. A person known for his terrifying nature and sharp tongue.

“Hey dad.”

He also happened to be Yu-ki’s father.

 

 

 

Next chapter they will be heading back, but since plane rides are boring and there's nothing to write, it will be a continuation of this. also, if you had read this before i edited everything, you will know that i used different colours to indicate the language changes. i haven't been adding those in, one becuase it is super annoying to manually do it, and second i think it takes away from the story? either way, i probably wont be doing that anymore...