Day 67

2013, Year of Us

Friday March 8th, 2013

“Hurry up Kris. I’m already late to meet the others.” Yu-ki rushed her brother from the passenger seat.

“Well, if you hadn’t spent half an hour on your hair we could have left a long time ago.” Kris retorted back.

“You should not be speaking. You stared at yourself in the mirror for a good ten minutes before leaving.” She responded incredulously.

“What? Is it a bad thing that I want to look good in public?” He asked.

“You look fine without having to do anything!” Yu-ki shouted in the small car.

“I know.” He smirked.

“Just hurry up.”

 

“I’ll be in the main auditorium!” Yu-ki shouted as she left the car the moment it was parked. As she approached the building, she slowed down and fixed her hair calmly walking into the building ignoring the cameras stationed at the doors.

“Sorry I’m late. Kris was taking forever.” She said with a roll of her eyes as her friends took notice of her. Their group was seated near the back as the front was reserved for press and sponsors and the subsequent rows for prospective students.

“Says the person who took half an hour in the bathroom.” Kris shot back coming up behind her exchanging greetings with her friends.

“Nice to see you made it out Baek.” Yu-ki said to the male half hiding behind Chanyeol. He shrugged like it was no big deal, but Yu-ki knew it took a lot out of him to be here.

 

The main auditorium staged a variety of performances to promote the Arts Department, the most anticipated of which was a dance performance by both undergraduate students as well as graduate students. Yu-ki watched in amazement as the familiar routine by Yixing and Jongin from a month ago had come together along with five others. Taking the stage after them, was a series of vocal performances, one of which was Kyungsoo singing with Yixing on piano accompaniment. The final performance of the night was a short drama play by the fourth years. By that time, Yu-ki was getting restless and had excused herself from the group. She made her way to the front foyer of the main art building where the visual artists had displayed their work. Walking over to the photography exhibit, Yu-ki was surprised to see the biggest display was hers.

 

 

 

“It’s hard to believe that these photographs were taken by a rookie. The way she is able to capture a split second of emotion is something that I will never be able to do. Sceneries don’t move. They don’t have a mind of their own.” Lu Han looked to his left at the girl standing beside him. “This photographer is good at what she does.”

“And how do you know all this.” Yu-ki said not taking her eyes off her own work. She had to admit that Lu Han was right. Even though she had no recollection of taking these photos, she could still see an inkling of the story behind them.

“We’re good friends.”

“Oh, are we friends now?” Yu-ki finally turned to face Lu Han. “I thought friends were supposed to be truthful with each other.”

“I didn’t lie to you. But I didn’t tell the truth either.” He spoke enigmatically. “Tell your friends that they did well on their performance.”

 

 

A picture is worth a thousand words. Someone once taught me that one single picture can tell infinite amounts of stories. No matter how many times you read a book, the words never change. The ending stays the same. Photography has the ability to evoke different emotions from different people. You see what you want to soo. It’s about being in the moment, the then and the there. Capturing one second of time to be remembered for all of eternity.

-          Lee Yooki

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some important things to note, the conversation with Lu Han is sort of in his POV in a way, and the little bit at the end is an artist statement of sorts. Since her work was on display, they usually require a little paragraph about the artist and their worl. Umm, as mentioned before, the dance performce I am referencing is 'Specturm' and Kyungsoo can be singing whatever you want him to sing. I didn't want to go into super detail at that point because it's not really relevant.

There is camera crews nearby because it's a fairly big school and they have some sponsors which would likely cause news stations to be present. I will talk about this in a few updates I believe.

Lu Han's bit is super important in a way. I honestly think he plays a bigger role than I originally intended, but it's all coming together so I'm not worried.

Next chapter will be a Minseok moment at the airport, then it's adventures in Vancouver meaning....TAO!!

If you have any questions regarding anything, please don't hesitate to ask!