Chapter 18.

Seeing Through Her Eyes
The smell of bacon, eggs and pancakes filled the apartment, causing Baekhyun’s mouth to water and forcing his eyes open. He sat up from the couch and stretched out his limbs before going to the kitchen. He half expected a frowning Jaekyung cooking her sorrows away but she looked okay, absolutely normal. He walked over to the plate full of pancakes and attempted to take a piece when Jaekyung’s hand gave his a light smack.
 
“Not until I’m done making everything else, go get ready first.” Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck and smiled sheepishly. He turned away and headed for washroom but stopped half way to take another look at Jaekyung. The way she looked in her apron in front of the stove made Baekhyun’s imagination go haywire, he wondered what it would be like to see that every single morning for the rest of his life, what it would be like to have a family with a girl as perfect as Jaekyung.
 
“You know, staring at me isn’t going to help me make the pancakes faster.” Baekhyun felt his cheeks heat up from the way Jaekyung spoke to him. He cleared his throat awkwardly and sped to the washroom.
 
 
Jaekyung flipped the rest of the pancakes and set them nicely onto her’s and Baekhyun’s plates. The bacon and eggs were placed on the side. She poured herself a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice for Baekhyun, after living with him for so long she learned that milk in the morning upsets Baekhyun’s stomach. After she finished setting their breakfast on the table Jaekyung sat down and stared at the string bracelet that Woori made her. She’s still upset about what happened but she decided it’d be better for those around her if she kept it to herself. She’s thankful that Baekhyun was there to support her yesterday but she doesn’t want him to worry, with time, she’ll be okay again. She heard light footsteps and looked up at Baekhyun with a light smile.
 
“Come on, you rarely wake up until after I leave for school or volunteer, I don’t feel like eating on my own today.” Jaekyung pushed Baekhyun’s plate closer to him and handed him the fork.
 
“Ahh thanks noona.” Baekhyun sat down quickly and dug into his breakfast, Jaekyung’s pancakes are ridiculously delicious. After finishing is first piece he looked across the table at Jaekyung.
 
“How are you feeling?”
 
“I’m… alright. Thanks for asking Baek, I’ll be okay soon and before you know it I’ll be… well, me again.” Baekhyun was relieved to hear that, he knows it’ll take a while for her to get over Woori’s death but at least she’s having positive thoughts again. He was so worried last night.
 
“That’s good to hear.” The two of them spent the rest of breakfast eating in silence but it wasn’t awkward at all, the silence was comfortable, they simply had nothing to say and wanted to enjoy the amazing food Jaekyung prepared. Once Baekhyun finished his food, he suddenly remembered that he wanted to ask Jaekyung something but completely forgot because of what happened last night.
 
“Hey Jaekyung noona.”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“Do you think I could start going to your volunteer shifts with you from now on? I promise I won’t bother you.” Baekhyun bit his lip nervously and waited for Jaekyung’s answer.
 
“Yeah, of course! You want to see your mother more often right?” Baekhyun nodded and smiled brightly.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Haha no need to thank me, it’s fun to have you around as well; I’ll have someone to talk to when I’m bored.”
 
“Ahh okay, good to know then. And um… so do you have morning classes today or a morning shift?”
 
“I have morning classes today and a two hour break before my shift. I’ll come home make dinner and then we can head out together. Sound good?” Baekhyun thought about it for a moment and decided that he should help Jaekyung lesson up the load.
 
“How about I make dinner tonight? You can fit in some extra time for homework that way.”
 
“Mmm, okay sounds good to me. Just don’t burn the house down or make a mess.”
 
“Haha, I won’t, don’t you have faith in my cooking skills?” Jaekyung scrunched her face and shook her head.
 
“What?!”
 
“Haha! I’m just kidding! Anyways, I have to get to class now, are you okay with helping me with the dishes?” Jaekyung stood up and set her plates in the sink.
 
“Yeah, you made the food, which tasted awesome by the way, so that’s the least I can do.” Baekyun got up and set his plates into the sink as well. Now that he’s thinking about it, he hasn’t done much to help Jaekyung out and he’s been living here for a while now.
 
“Thanks Baek, you’re the best.” Jaekyung leaned over and gave Baekhyun an innocent peck on the cheek as way of thanking him for not just the dishes but for being such an amazing friend to her last night as well.
 
“I’ll see you later then.” Jaekyung grabs her backpack from the front door waved goodbye to an extremely flustered Baekhyun.
 
“Y-yeah… s-s-see you later.”