Chapter 55.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

“Hurry up Baek!!!” Jaekyung stuck her tongue out at Baekhyun as she raced in front of him, making her way to the front door of the hospital.
 
Baekhyun simply chuckled at the jingling bells on Jaekyung’s reindeer headband while hurrying to catch up with her, the Santa hat on his own head bouncing up and down as he ran. By the time he finally caught up to Jaekyung she was already talking to one of the doctors.
 
“Oh Jaekyung! Right on time just like last year, you’re such a sweetheart. Don’t forget to spend some time enjoying yourself today as well alright? Merry Christmas!”
 
“Haha don’t worry, I’m definitely enjoying myself this Christmas. Merry Christmas to you too sunbae, don’t work too hard!”
 
Jaekyung bowed and waved goodbye before turning around and bringing her attention to Baekhyun.
 
“Who’s that? He looks a little young to be a doctor…”
 
“Oh Doctor Kim? Yeah, he’s practically a genius! Only twenty three and already a pediatrician! He was in charge of helping out with the volunteers when I first came here; he’s a really friendly guy.” Jaekyung let out a dreamy sigh, irritating Baekhyun. Baekhyun turned his head around and narrowed his eyes at Doctor Kim who was currently giving talking to one of the nurses about a new patient that has just arrived. Tche, he looks like a child himself.
 
“Baek? Hello???”
 
“Sorry, just kind of zoned out just now. Yeah… he seems like a pretty cool guy.”
 
“Yep, I’m sure the two of you would get along well if you got to know each other. Anyways come-on we gotta hurry and give these cookies to the kids before they get too cold!” Jaekyung tugged onto Baekhyun’s arm and lead him to the children’s ward.
 
The couple was greeted by a cute scene of the children singing Christmas carols together along with a few other volunteers. Those who were well enough stood as they sang while those who weren’t were accompanied by a nurse or their parents. Jaekyung smiled as she watched the kids sing together, her eyes scanning the group for familiar and new faces. She spotted one particular person that caught her interest, Sora’s uncle is here. When the song ended Jaekyung and Baekhyun walked in and greeted everyone.
 
“Merry Christmas guys!” Jaekyung’s eyes disappeared into two small slits when she saw how happy some of the kids were to see her.
 
“Unnie! Oppa!” She gave a quick hug to Sora while Baekhyun ruffled Hyunwoo’s hair; A few other kids coming in for a hug as well once Sora was done. After greeting all the kids Jaekyung asked the other volunteers for help with the cookies. She didn’t want to accidently give one of the new patients a sugar cookie if they had high blood sugar levels.
 
Baekhyun was surrounded by a group of younger girls, a few tugging on his hat as he handed them their cookies. Although it was annoying when his hat would fall off, the adorable laughter and giant smiles on their faces made all of it worth it. Baekhyun finally realized why Jaekyung found volunteering so fulfilling and why she’s pursuing such a difficult job despite all the hardships she had to go through.
 
The smile on Jaekyung’s face never faltered as she passed the cookies around, wishing all the kids, new and old a merry Christmas. To say that Jaekyung loves the children here more than she loves herself would be an understatement, she cares about each and every one of them genuinely and the way her eyes shined at their happiness is evidence of this.
 
After Jaekyung made sure that all the kids had gotten cookies Baekhyun s his arm around her waist and held onto her close.
 
“You’d make a great mother you know.” Jaekyung blushed at Baekhyun’s statement and shoved his chest lightly. “What? I’m just telling it as I see it.”
 
“Jaekyung-shi?” Jaekyung rolled out of Baekhyun’s embrace and turned around to see Sora’s uncle standing in front of her.
 
“That’s me and you’re Sora’s uncle right?” Jaekyung glanced down at Sora and grinned at how her little hands are holding onto her uncle’s larger ones, she’s not hiding her scars anymore.
 
“Yes, I just… I just wanted to thank you for treating Sora with so much care. She has told me lots about you and I feel ashamed that I haven’t been able to do half of what you have done for her.”
 
“You’re very welcome and really, don’t be so hard on yourself. What Sora really wants is to be a part of a family and you’re giving her one. I’m sure she’s excited to go home with you once you’ve got things settled.” Jaekyung crouched down and patted Sora’s head lightly. “Right Sora?”
 
“Yep!” Jaekyung stood up looked up at Sora’s uncle with sincere eyes.
 
“I hope she’ll find a sense of belonging and happiness in your household. She’s a really sweet girl, I’m sure your family will grow to really love her.”
 
“Thank You Jaekyung-shi, I’ll be sure to love Sora as if she was my own child.” Jaekyung felt Sora tug onto her hand and looked down to see Sora holding up a sheet of whiter paper with a drawing on it.
 
“Unnie, I drew this for you. See that’s you, Baekhyun oppa and me standing next to the Christmas tree!” Jaekyung took the drawing from Sora’s hand and looked at the three stick figures that stood next to each other.
 
“Oh this is amazing Sora, thank you so much, unnie loves it!”
 
“Really?!”
 
“Yes really.” Jaekyung crouched down and gave Sora another hug while Baekhyun and Sora’s uncle watched with warm hears.
 
“Unnie?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“We’ll still see each other even after I leave the hospital right?” Jaekyung looked up at Sora’s uncle for a sign of approval and smiled when he nodded.
 
“Of course, I’ll visit you for sure and you’ll have to visit unnie here as well okay?”
 
“Mm! I’ll visit you and Hyunwoo oppa all the time! You have to come visit me though; I want to show you that I’ll be a good unnie when the baby is born as well. You will visit right?”
 
“Definitely.”  Sora held out her hands and stuck her pinky out towards Jaekyung.
 
“Pinky promise?” Jaekyung held out her hand and hooked her pinky with Sora’s before pressing their thumbs together.
 
“Pinky promise.” 
 
 
 
 
 
 
------------------------------------
I'm slowly tying up the story now. I'm getting very few comments compared to before so I hope you guys are still enjoying this!