Chapter 20.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

“Aw crap! Ahh!” Baekhyun winced and pulled his hand up, grabbing his pointer finger in pain. He glared at the cheese grater like it was his enemy then searched the drawers for a band aid. After successfully finding a hello kitty band aid in Jaekyung’s washroom Baekhyun went back to the kitchen and washed the cheese grater. Baekhyun isn’t much of a cook when it comes to traditional Korean dishes but his spaghetti cooking skills are top notch. He glanced up at the clock; Jaekyung should be home in a few minutes. Using a spoon, Baekhyun took scoop of his tomato and mushroom sauce, making sure it tasted fine. Once he decided that the taste was acceptable he took two plates and set the pasta on there. He’ll pour the sauce over them once Jaekyung gets back.
 
Baekhyun practically shot up from his chair when he heard the rattling of key’s and the turning of the doorknob. He wonders if she heard his message and how her day at school was. Is she feeling okay?
 
“I’m ho-.” Before Jaekyung could finish greeting Baekhyun her eye’s enlarged at the sight in front of her. Baekhyun’s hair is disheveled with sweat on the sides of his forehead, her tiny hello kitty apron looked absolutely ridiculous on him and his slippers were mismatched.
 
“Hey noona, how was school?” Jaekyung tried her best to hold in her laughter but it didn’t work, she practically bursted.
 
“Haha!” Jaekyung closed the door while laughing and wiped the tears that formed at the corners of her eyes.
 
“What?!” Baekhyun stared at Jaekyung, confused. Why is she laughing so hard?
 
“S-sorry, but haha! Baek, did you do this on purpose to make me laugh? Cause it’s working! Haha!” Jaekyung clutched the sides of her stomach and tried to calm herself down.
 
Baekhyun cocked his head to the side then looked down, oh. He ruffles his own hair and smiled; if making a fool out of himself can make Jaekyung noona laugh like this then he’d gladly make a fool out of himself again.
 
“Aish, geeze! Stop laughing, come on put your backpack down, I’m sure you’re starving by now.” Jaekyung did as she was told but she couldn’t help but chuckle every time she looked at Baekhyun.
 
“Baek, can you take of the hello kitty apron please? I don’t think I can look at you during dinner if you keep that on haha.”  Baekhyun rolled his eyes in a joking manner and took the apron off, hanging it back onto the pantry door.
 
“There.” Baekhyun then proceeded to grabbing the two plates and pouring his pasta sauce on top. He placed the two plates onto the table and motioned for Jaekyung to take a seat.
 
“Oh wow, Baek this actually looks and smells pretty good. Not bad.” Jaekyung sat down and reached for the cheese only for Baekhyun to stop her.
 
“Just wait until you taste this.” Baekhyun grabbed the bowl of cheese he grated and sprinkled them onto her spaghetti. Jaekyung thanked him then grabbed a fork, taking a bite of the dinner Baekhyun made her.
 
Baekhyun kept his eyes on her the entire time, anxious to see if she likes it. Even though he made her lunch yesterday, she wasn’t in the mood to eat and she didn’t really taste the food. Jaekyung looked up after taking a bite and blushed at how close Baekhyun was, his eyes were wide and he was biting his lower lip.
 
“Baek, aren’t you going to eat?” Baekhyun moved back and stared at his own plate.
 
“Oh uh yeah… How is it though? Do you like it?” Jaekyung took another bite and looked up at Baekhyun with a smile. She brought her right hand next to her face and put her thumbs up.
 
“I love it.” Baekhyun lets out a sigh of relief and digs into his spaghetti with a giant smile plastered on his face.
 
After a few moments of silence, Jaekyung glances up and see’s Baekhyun looking at her. Baekhyun quickly returns his gaze to his food when he notices this, hoping she didn’t think much of that.
 
“Baek?” Baekhyun freezes when she says his name. Crap.
 
“I can expl-”
 
“Thanks.” Wait, what?
 
“Huh? Thanks??” Jaekyung sets her fork down and looks up at Baekhyun.
 
“I heard the message you left me on my IPod today, that was really sweet of you. Thanks.” Baekhyun in his breath at the words sweet. She thinks I’m sweet.
 
“Oh yeah, that was nothing really… I’m glad you like it though…” The look that Jaekyung gives Baekhyun causes his cheeks to heat up. Her smile is so beautiful.  
 
“Baek, are you okay? Your face is turning pink, are you sick or something?” Jaekyung reaches over to feel Baekhyun’s forehead but he stops her halfway, grabbing her wrist.
 
“N-nope, I’m p-perfectly fine. See.” He then flashes an awkward smile hoping she’d sit down and finish her food instead of leaning over so close. What if she hears his heartbeat racing? To Baekhyun’s dismay though, she gets even closer.
 
“Oh! What happened?” Jaekyung releases her wrist from Baekhyun’s grip and points at his band aid covered finger. Baekhyun pulls his hands back to his sides quickly at this.
 
“Nothing, I just cut my finger on the cheese grater.”
 
“WHAT?!” Jaekyung gets up from her seat completely and walks over to Baekhyun. “Let me see.”
 
“It’s nothing, just a small cut.” Jaekyung glares at Baekhyun reaches her hands out with her palms out.
 
“Let me see.” Baekhyun lifts his hand up and watches as Jaekyung examines his finger. The look of concern on her face make Baekhyun’s breath hitch and heart skip a beat.
 
“Baek! Your cut is small but it’s actually really deep. Did you disinfect it?” Baekhyun shook his head and heard Jaekyung tsk. She kept her grip on Baekhyun’s hand light and pulled him to the washroom. She opened up her drawer and pulled out her disinfectant and Q-tips.
 
“We wouldn’t want these pretty hands to get scarred now would we?” Dipping the Q-tip into the clear liquid, Jaekyung then carefully rubbed Baekhyun’s cut. Baekhyun flinched slightly at the stinging and felt ashamed for being so unmanly at a moment like this but he couldn’t help it. It stung! “Haha, stop being such a baby, it shouldn’t hurt that much Baek.” Baekhyun was about to pull his finger back and thank Jaekyung but stopped when she blew onto his finger before putting the band aid on for him.  “There, done. You’re like the kids I take care of Baek haha.” Jaekyung chuckled lightly but noticed that Baekhyun wasn’t talking. “Baek?” She looked up at him and his face was extremely close to hers; the look in his eyes different from how they were before.  
 
“I’m not a kid you know.” Baekhyun’s voice practically dropped an octave, sending shivers down Jaekyung’s spine.
 
“Huh? What? Oh yeah… fine, fine whatever you say Baek, you’re not a kid.” Jaekyung began to fidget and pull at the hem of her shirt, Baekhyun just got closer.
 
“No, I’m serious. Jaekyung, I’m not a kid.”