Chapter 14.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

Jaekyung spent the next five hours attending her classes, it’s already ten now and exhaustion would be an understatement for how she felt right now. Stuffing her books into her backpack Jaekyung sprinted out of the classroom and down the stairs to catch her bus. If she misses the “early” bus, she’ll have to wait ten minutes for the next one. Panting and breathing heavily, Jaekyung let out a sigh of relief as she got on the bus with only moments left before it leaves. With an IPod plugged into her ears Jaekyung took out her notebook to plan out her schedule for the coming week. She hasn’t been as organized lately and Jaekyung absolutely hates that. She likes knowing when she should study, when she should start heading to class, the promises she’s made to the kids at the hospital and everything else that she had to do. Jaekyung took out a red pen and wrote in capital letters “BEDTIME STORY FOR SORA AT TEN!” on the very top of her schedule for tomorrow, she’s not going to miss that again. Sora doesn’t get enough attention from well... anybody and Jaekyung wanted to try her best to help Sora. After going through the assignments and exams she had coming up, Jaekyung created her new study schedule while she waited for her stop. Within the next ten minutes Jaekyung arrived, setting her notebook into her backpack and heads to the front of the bus.
 
“Thank you!” Like always, Jaekyung never forgets to thank the bus driver, they have a tough job you know?
 
“You’re very welcome young lady, have a good evening.”
 
“You too!” Jaekyung bowed then hurriedly got off the bus so that the people behind her wouldn’t get annoyed. Although exhausted, Jaekyung’s bright eyes and soft smile never left her face as she made her way through the front doors of her apartment.
 
“I’m home!” Jaekyung set her backpack down and locked her doors before grabbing a drink of water from the kitchen.
 
“How were your classes today?” Baekhyun turned away from the television and looked over to Jaekyung.
 
“Exhausting like usual but the profs didn’t assign a lot of homework today. Exams are coming up and everybody’s rushing to cram in as much studying as they can.” Jaekyung took another gulp of her water and plopped down on the couch to join Baekhyun. She can afford half an hours’ worth of lazing around, just for today.
 
“Hmm… sounds awful to me. I don’t get why you volunteer on top of doing all this. The amount of school work you have is like a full time job already as it is.”
 
“Cause, I enjoy it.”
 
“That’s it?”
 
“Well, what more of a reason do I need?”
 
“Hmm… true, but don’t you think you could take a break from volunteering during your exams at least?”
 
“I’ve thought about that, but seeing the kids give me encouragement. They’re so… alive; I need some of their energy haha.”
 
“Hm, you’re pretty energetic yourself.”
 
“It’s not the same though, they’re so innocent.”
 
“Eh, whatever, I don’t get you sometimes but whatever floats your boat. So much work…”
 
“It’s not hard work if it’s something you’re passionate about. Don’t you have something you like Baek?”
 
“Not really, I just wanna get by in life and have fun really.”  Jaekyung looked at Baekhyun worriedly; maybe this is what his mother was talking about earlier.
 
“You need to have some sort of dream though, isn’t there a job of some sort that you want?”
 
“Mm, I’ve never really thought about it. I’ll probably just end up taking over my dad’s company it’s not like I have a choice anyways.” Jaekyung’s eyebrows furrowed at his reply.
 
“So, it’s not that you don’t actually have something you want to do, you just never thought about it cause you don’t believe that you have a choice? Baek… everyone should have the right to choose their own path, don’t do something just because it’s expected from you. I’m probably the last person on Earth that people would have expected to want to become a doctor but look at me now.”
 
“Why wouldn’t people have expected you to become a doctor? You seem like the perfect person for that job.”
 
“I wanted to be a fashion designer ever since I was five, I used to run around the house with my drawings and stick my best ones on the fridge but my dreams changed after I turned ten."
 
“Hm… fashion designer hey? Yeah I can see that too, you don’t dress like a med student haha.”
 
“Um thanks haha.” Jaekyung smiled awkwardly at Baekhyun’s compliment before snapping back to reality. “Baek, stop distracting me! We’re talking about you right now. So… tell me do you really not have some sort of a goal or are you just saying that?”
 
“Meh, I actually don’t. It ever really mattered to me…” Baekhyun shrugged it off like it didn’t mean a thing to him but in actuality it did, he doesn’t want to take over his father’s company and he hates being in the faculty of business but like he said, he doesn’t have a choice.
 
“Baek, don’t lie to me, I can tell that this is bothering you.”