Chapter 16.

Seeing Through Her Eyes
Baekhyun wakes up the next morning to the sound of keys rattling and the twisting of the doorknob. He takes a quick glance at the clock and starts to panic when he realizes that it’s nine in the morning. Jaekyung should have left for volunteering already and she shouldn’t be back until eight at night. Are her parents here to visit? Baekhyun scrambles to his feet and grabs the blankets lying messily on the couch; well if they are he’ll have to hide these! With the blankets in his hands Baekhyun makes his way to the back only to drop everything when the door opens. He’s greeted with the tear stained face of Jaekyung. Baekhyun felt his heart tug in pain from the sadness in Jaekyung’s eyes. He didn’t know what to say, he didn’t know what to do and froze when Jaekyung threw herself at him, burying her face into his chest as the tears continued to flow. Baekhyun’s hands remained on his sides awkwardly, why is Jaekyung noona crying?
 
“S-she’s gone. Baek… W-woori’s… She’s gone.” Jaekyung’s voice cracked as she choked out another sob. Baekhyun’s eyes widened in shock, so this is why Jaekyung’s crying. The usual cheery and strong willed Jaekyung looks so fragile right now. Subconsciously, Baekhyun’s hands reached over and held Jaekyung close.
 
“Shh, noona, it’s okay, let it all out, it’s okay. I’m here.” Baekhyun’s right hand brushed Jaekyung’s hair out of her face while his left hand her back in an attempt to comfort her. He’s never done this before and he has no idea if it’ll help but the least he can do is try. He could feel Jaekyung’s grip on him tighten. After several minutes Jaekyung’s sobs began to soften and her breathing returned to normal. Her face stayed buried in Baekhyun’s chest when she spoke.
 
“It’s n-not supposed to be like this.” Jaekyung then looked up at Baekhyun. “How can I be a doctor if I can’t even control my emotions?” Baekhyun stared at Jaekyung, stunned. Her tears began to fall again, an outbreak that scared Baekhyun beyond belief. No, no, no where is the strong Jaekyung that he’s grown to love? Wait love? Baekhyun shakes those thoughts out of his head, this isn’t the time. Right now Jaekyung is hurting and he has to fix it. She can’t really think this way!
 
“Noona, please don’t say that. It happens, you’re… you’re…” Baekhyun’s eyebrows furrowed as he searched for the right things to say. “You’re only human. It takes time to get used to these things; I’m pretty sure the doctors before you had grown attached to their patients before. They just learned how to control it over time. It’s not like you’re a certified doctor yet right? You still have time. Don’t think things like that ever again.” Jaekyung sniffled as she tried to regain composure.
 
“I know bu-”
 
“No buts. It’s normal for you to be upset about…” Baekyun didn’t want to use the word death and such and quickly looked for another way to say this “what happened to Woori. You’d be grieving if this happened to a friend and if anything, after taking care of her all this time, she’s like a younger sister to you. J-just… stay at home for the rest of the day and calm down. I’m sure calling in sick for one day to your classes can’t hurt.” Jaekyung nodded weakly against Baekhyun. Baekhyun took Jaekyung’s hand and seated her onto the couch.
 
“Sit here while I make you cup of tea okay?” Jaekyung’s smiled faintly at how Baekhyun tried to make her feel better. She sat down and stared at her hands, remembering how Woori’s smaller ones use to tug on them. She closed her eyes and let a new batch of tears fall, she couldn’t help it, and it just hurt so much. She wasn’t sobbing this time but the pain in her heart was just as strong as when she first got the news. Little did she know that a certain someone is hurting just as much as she is, seeing her cry made him realize something and confirm the question that’s been floating around in the back of his mind. Baekhyun loves Jaekyung and those feelings are all out of his control now. 
 
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some shameless self advertising, I have a new oneshot collection out and it would be awesome if you guys could check it out ^^

Four Seasons

Three hundred and sixty-five days, four seasons and twelve love stories to bring smiles, laughter and tears to those willing to open up their hearts.  When the people you know can impact your life in ways you could have never imagined and when the phrase “I love you”, means more than all the words our alphabet can create.