Chapter 27.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

Jaekyung’s shift for the day ended half an hour ago but she stuck around the hospital, going through the hallways and such to look for Baekhyun. He wasn’t in his room, he wasn’t at the garden and he wasn’t with Jaemin either. Jaekyung was started to get worried as she took a look at her watch. She’ll have to get ready for school soon but she doesn’t want to leave without Baekhyun. He wouldn’t just leave without a word. What if he’s in trouble?
 
Another half an hour went by and still no signs of Baekhyun. Jaekyung didn’t want to go but she had no choice, she has an important lab to do today. Taking one last peek at his room then Jaemin’s room, Jaekyung left the hospital, worried.
 
 
 
 
 
“Good job guys, his spirit is safely secured now.” Tao and Chanyeol sighed a breath of relief after Kris double checked Baekhyun’s condition. “He should be up in about a weeks’ time.” 
 
“A-a week?!” Guilt began to creep up on Chanyeol, he knew Baekhyun wouldn’t get up right away, but a week?
 
“Yes a week. He should be able to hear others talking to him in about two days, he’ll be able to feel sensations in another three and after a week he should be awake and perfectly fine except for the injuries he sustained during the accident. Be sure to check up on him every day though, just in case.” Chanyeol and Tao nodded their head in acknowledgement of Kris’s words.
 
“Got it.”
 
“Alright, now that this is settled, you guys have been assigned another child to welcome at the gates. His name is Jaemin and he’ll be there in three days at noon. Don’t forget okay?”
 
 
 
 
Classes went by quickly for Jaekyung, although she was preoccupied with thoughts about Baekhyun the dissection lab went well. By the time Jaekyung got home she was absolutely exhausted, the mere action of taking her keys out of her bag took quite a bit of effort. As she pushed the keys into the key hole she expected Baekhyun to be sitting on the couch watching TV, preparing herself to scold the younger male for disappearing; but when she entered her apartment the lights were turned off and the living room was empty. It’s been a while since Jaekyung returned home without seeing Baekhyun watching TV or making a mess or even cooking in the kitchen. It was odd. Worried that he might be trapped in the hospital somewhere Jaekyung pushed aside her fatigue and ran downstairs, catching the first bus to the hospital.
 
As the bus stopped in front of the hospital Jaekyung sprinted inside and headed straight for Baekhyun’s room, ignoring the greetings from her fellow volunteers, the nurses and the doctors that have gotten to know her. Standing in front of his door, Jaekyung took in a deep breath and knocked, please be in here.
 
“Oh, hi Jaekyung.” Baekhyun’s mother looked pleasantly surprised at the fact that Jaekyung is here to visit again and at such a late hour as well. It’s almost nine.
 
“Hi Mrs. Byun.” Jaekyung bowed before walking inside, looking around the room quickly to see if Baekhyun was around, well his spirit that is.
 
“Here, you can sit next to the bed; I have to get a glass of water anyways.” Baekhyun’s mother pulled the seat out for Jaekyung then excused herself, a smile never leaving her face as she looked at Jaekyung. The moment Baekhyun’s mother left the room Jaekyung took a seat on the chair.
 
“Baek, where are you? If this is another one of your tricks or jokes, it isn’t funny.” Jaekyung looked around the room, hoping to hear Baekhyun laugh or apologize but nope, nothing. She sighed fixed Baekhyun’s bangs again before grabbing his hand.
 
“You didn’t just disappear right? You’re not leaving as well right?” Jaekyung too another serious look at Baekhyun, he’s so pale and fragile while lying down in the hospital bed, the complete opposite of his spirit form. “Are you here right now? Did you perhaps find a way back into your body?” Jaekyung held his hands tighter and bit her lips. “It doesn’t feel right going home without you there Baek, please be okay.”
 
With a heavy heart, Jaekyung left the room before Baekhyun’s mother came back. Dragging her feet, Jaekyung took the bus home set her things down. She needs some shut eye.