Chapter 23.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

Jaekyung headed for the change rooms and grabbed her things quickly before going to see if Baekhyun’s parents are still here with him. It’s getting late but his room isn’t limited to visiting hours like the public rooms so it’s a possibility that they’re still there. The two of them walked to his room, a small sliver of light peaked through the cracks, someone is here. Jaekyung knocked on the door lightly and held her breath hoping that it isn’t a nurse who gets the door. Please be one of his parents.
 
“Oh Jaekyung, you’re here again.” Jaekyung bowed quickly and smiled.
 
“Hi Mrs. Byun, I hope you don’t mind.”
 
“Of course not! Come on in, it’s good to see someone other than me or Baekhyun’s father come visit him.”
 
Baekhyun’s ears perked up at his mother’s words, his father comes here too?
 
Jaekyung followed Baekhyun’s mother inside and sat down on the seat next to the bed. She placed her right hand onto the Baekhyun lying down and used her left hand to fix his hair. She’s sure the Baekhyun behind her right now is cringing at the sight of his bangs looking that way. The next part was when it became difficult, she can’t just come in and not do anything, it would be too suspicious.
 
“Baekhyun shii, I hope you recover soon. Your friends and family are really worried about you. Everybody wants what’s best for you and for your life to go into the right direction again, please wake up and show them you can be all that and more alright?”
 
“Thanks.” Jaekyung smiled after hearing Baekhyun thank you, his mother getting teary eyed from the words she spoke.
 
“No one other than his father and I has ever thought that Baekhyun could be capable of becoming a great person. Not even Baekhyun himself. Thank you Jaekyung.”
 
“You’re very welcome Mrs. Byun, I’m sure Baekhyun will start believing in himself soon. He has a caring mother like you by his side supporting him. I guess I’ll take my leave now; I just wanted to come and check up on him. I hope I didn’t intrude on your own visit.”
 
“Oh no, it’s alright. Please do come whenever you’d like, you’re very welcome here.”
 
“That’s good to know, thank you Mrs. Byun. Good night, get some rest, Baekhyun wouldn’t like to see you tired yourself out watching over him.” Jaekyung bowed again and left the room with Baekhyun following closely. Once his mother was out of ear shot you spoke to Baekhyun.
 
“I knew she’d be here taking care of you, your mother is a wonderful lady Baek. Make her proud.”
 
“Yeah…” Baekhyun continued to follow Jaekyung out when she stopped abruptly.
 
“You think we’ll be able to find a way to get you back to your body? It’s been a while now and… well… I worry sometimes… that… you know… that”
 
“That I’ll die?” Jaekyung couldn’t say it but that’s exactly what she was worried about. After what happened to Woori and the fact that Jaemin can see Baekhyun now as well it scared her. Why is that Woori passed away after she was able to see him? Is it because he’s dying as well? Is that it?
 
“Yeah, I’m worried and those thoughts, they scare me.” Baekhyun placed his hands on Jaekyung shoulder then flicked her forehead lightly.
 
“Babo, getting worried won’t get us anywhere or fix anything. Just live in the now, I’m still here right?”
 
“Yah! Who are you calling babo? I’m your noona Baek.” Jaekyung feigned an angry expression but couldn’t hide the smile that formed seconds later; Baekhyun’s presence had this way of making her feel better. Baekhyun chuckled and held her hand in a friendly manner, swinging it back and forth like a child.
 
“Come on noona, let’s get home, you’re probably exhausted from working so hard today. Stop getting worked up about things we don’t have evidence for either alright?”
 
Jaekyung doesn’t know why but lately she’s feeling less and less like the older one around Baekhyun. She can’t seem to regard him as the same kid she met a month ago anymore. She also hates the fact that her common sense and intelligence seems to dissipate with him around these days. How is it that he always knows what to say? Isn’t she supposed to be the one helping him? Little did Jaekyung know though that Baekhyun feels the exact same way about her even though they’re both listening and helping the other equally.
 
 
 
 
Tao flew across the sky as he watched Jaekyung and Baekhyun walk home together, he’s changing. This is perfect, Chanyeol will be so happy to hear the news. It’ll be time for him to go back soon, just a little more.