Chapter 11.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

“There, you’re all clean now.”

 
“Thank you Jaekyung noona! Can I go out and play now?”
 
“Yeah, just make sure you’re careful okay?” Hyunwoo nodded his head frantically and sprinted out to the back where all the other kids were. Jaekyung glanced at her watch and decided that now would be good time to take her twenty minute break. She started to go towards her locker room when she felt a tap on her shoulder.
 
“Noona, where are we going?” Jaekyung looked around to make sure nobody was there.
 
“I’m going to change and get a snack from my locker. Do you want one?”
 
“Um… yeah sure.”
 
Baekhyun waited for Jaekyung right outside of the locker room, his eyes lit up when she stepped out in a nurse’s uniform. She looked so pretty in a skirt.
 
“What? Is it awkward? I didn’t bring any extra clothes and Sooyeon had an extra uniform on her…” Jaekyung pulled at the ends of her skirt awkwardly as Baekhyun continued to stare at her.
 
“Ah, forget it, I’ll just go change back into my dirty clothes, I didn’t realize this looks that bad.” Jaekyung turned around to push the door of the locker room open when Baekhyun grabbed her arm.
 
“No… it’s not that noona, you just look different.” Jaekyung cocked her head to the side and looked up at Baekhyun with her eyebrows knitted.
 
“What do you mean different?” She was expecting him to but his reply was completely unpredicted.
 
“A good different, you look… um... good. Oh wait! I don’t mean you don’t look good usually though; just… uh… never mind.” Baekhyun scratched the back of his head and turned away nervously. Jaekyung laughed at Baekhyun’s reaction and handed him a chocolate bar.
 
“Haha thanks Baekhyun, I guess I won’t have to change out of this. Here take your snack and eat it before anybody else comes, I don’t want people staring at the floating chocolate bar next to my head.” Baekhyun took the chocolate bar from Jaekyung’s hand and followed her to the back room. The two of them sat there in silence as they ate their snack.
 
“I didn’t forget by the way. We’ll go visit your parents the minute my shift is over.” Baekhyun was taking another bite of his chocolate bar when Jaekyung spoke. He looked up at her and there was an unreadable expression on her face.
 
“Um yeah okay, they’re probably not even here yet anyways. My dad is always working... You know what never mind.” Baekhyun took another bite out of my chocolate bar and stared out the window. Even though they’re sick the kids still manage to have so much fun and smile like their lives were perfectly fine.
 
“Baek, is there something you’d like to share with me? You can talk to me about anything you know. I’ll be free after my shift for bit today.” Jaekyung looked at Baekhyun softly, making his heart skip a beat.
 
“No, I’m fine, it’s okay. You should probably get going, the kids are waiting and they all seem to really like you.”
 
“Haha, of course they do! I bribe them with candy, chocolates and bedtime stories!” Baekhyun looked at the bright smile on Jaekyung’s face and chuckled, no, they like you because you’re amazing.
 
Jaekyung crumple her chocolate bar wrapper and tossed it, sinking it into the garbage can perfectly.
 
“Swoosh! Haha, I still got it! Come on let’s go Baekhyun.” Jaekyung stood up quickly and walked towards the door, the moment she stepped foot outside she sprinted towards a group of girls jumping rope. Baekhyun walked under a tree to get some shade, leaning on it with his hands in his pockets. His eyes never leaving Jaekyung while she played with the kids.
 
“Jaekyung unnie.” Woori, a seven year old girl with leukaemia was getting pushed around the park in a wheelchair, she needed some fresh air.
 
“Oh, Woori!” Jaekyung excused herself from the kids she was skipping with and ran over to Woori. “How are you feeling today princess?
 
“I’m feeling better but noona, who’s that boy standing over there. Is he your boyfriend?” Woori pointed at the tree where Baekhyun was standing and Jaekyung’s eyes enlarged.
 
“Y-you can see him?”
 
“Yeah, why wouldn’t I? Is he your boyfriend?”
 
“Oh, um no, yeah of course you can see him. And no silly, he’s just a dongsaeng, what makes you think he’s my boyfriend.”
 
“He looks at you like how daddy looks at mommy so I just thought he was your boyfriend. Maybe he likes you.” Jaekyung blushed at the child’s comment, clearing quickly.
 
“What? No no, he doesn’t like me. I’m his noona.”
 
“Mommy is daddy’s noona as well.” Jaekyung’s ears were a bright shade of red by now.
 
“Um... do you want me to push you to the flowers Woori?” Jaekyung didn’t know what to say and altered the topic immediately.
 
“I guess so.” Jaekyung hurried to the back of Woori’s wheelchair and led her to the garden in the opposite direction of where Baekhyun was. Much to her surprise, Baekhyun left his spot and walked towards her.
 
“Who’s that?” Jaekyung looked over at Baekyun and began to blush immediately.
 
“She’s Woori, and… don’t freak out but she can see you.”
 
“She can?!” Baekhyun walked in front of the wheelchair and kneeled in front of Woori, taking his hand out to shake hers.
 
“Hi, Woori! I’m Baekhyun.” Woori reached out with her small frail hands and shook his.
 
“Hi Baekhyun oppa, do you like Jaekyung unnie?” Baekhyun was alarmed at the young girl’s sudden question and stood up, stuttering as he spoke.
 
“O-of course n-not! I’m just her dongsaeng, right Jaekyung noona?”
 
“Yeah, of course!” The pair glanced at each awkwardly while Woori looked at the two of them. Adults are so weird.
 
 
 

“Hyung! Look! They’re over there!” Tao tapped on Chanyeol’s shoulders frantically while pointing at Jaekyung and Baekhyun.
 
“Good job Tao! Now we just gotta wait till they’re in a secluded place without anybody else around.” Chanyeol led Tao behind a bush right next Jaekyung and Baekhyun. “Wait, are they talking to that little girl over there? She can see Baekhyun?!”
 
“Oh no, that only means one thing…” Chanyeol and Tao looked at the laughing little girl with sad eyes.
 
“She doesn’t have a lot of time left does she hyung?”
 
“I’m afraid she doesn’t Tao…”