Chapter 13.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

Jaekyung grabbed her dirty clothes in disgust, good thing he only puked on her t-shirt. She shoved the shirt into a plastic bag quickly and put her tank top and skinny jeans on. Jaekyung felt uncomfortable wearing just a white tank top but she had no choice. With awkward steps, Jaekyung left the change room while hugging her bag close to her chest.

 
“Okay, let’s go.” Baekhyun chuckled at the way Jaekyung walked out and looked at her up and down to . “Stop it.”
 
“What? I’m not doing anything.” Baekhyun faked an innocent expression causing Jaekyung’s cheeks to heat up. She coughed awkwardly.
 
“… Just lead the way to your room before I change my mind!” Baekhyun looked around to make sure nobody was around before taking his sweater off, imagine how freaked out people would be to see a sweater appear out of nowhere.
 
“Here.” Jaekyung felt Baekhyun’s sweater drape over her shoulders and put it on quickly.
 
“Um... Thanks…”
 
“Don’t mention it.”
 
The two of them walked to Baekhyun’s room in silence, an awkward tension filling the air around them.
 
“We’re here; can you open the door noona?” Jaekyung nodded and pushed the door open slowly, a woman who she assumes is Baekhyun’s mother is sitting by his bed while reading a book. She looked up and stared at Jaekyung as she walked into the room.
 
“Who are you?”
 
“Oh… I’m… a friend of Baekhyun’s. I just heard about what… happened and thought I’d pay him a visit you know?”
 
“That’s nice of you; none of his other friends came back after visiting on the first day.” Jaekyung glanced at Baekhyun quickly, worried.
 
“I… um…”
 
“Don’t worry about it, they aren’t very good people anyways. You on the other hand, you seem like a nice young lady. How do you know Baekhyun?” Jaekyung’s eyes widened, she didn’t know what to say.
 
“Tell her the truth about you volunteering here, my friend Junghee ODed five months ago on ecstasy so tell her you met me then.” Shocked would be an understatement for how Jaekyung felt right now, Baekhyun’s friends overdosed on drugs? Wait does that mean… “I know what you’re thinking, no I don’t do drugs. I… just pay for them.” Baekhyun looked away, embarrassed and ashamed at what he told Jaekyung just now.
 
“Miss?”
 
“Oh, uh yeah. I um… I volunteer here and met Baekhyun when his friend was admitted to the hospital five months ago.”
 
“Volunteer? That’s nice; Baekhyun needs more friends like you.” Baekhyun’s mother sighed and looked over at her son, her eyes holding sadness that Baekhyun himself has never seen before. “That’s my fault though.” Jaekyung took in a deep breath then spoke again.
 
“Don’t say that… Baekhyun’s a really good guy, he cares about you. He just… needs some time to… figure things out.” Jaekyung wasn’t sure what she was trying to get at but she knows that Baekhyun really is a good person, simply misguided that’s all.
 
“I know. I just wish there’s more that I can do for him, as his mother I should help him live a proper life but… look where that brought him.” Baekhyun stayed standing in silence, his eyes never leaving his mother’s face.
 
“He’ll be okay.” Baekhyun’s mother looked up at Jaekyung’s eyes, they were filled with determination.
 
“You really think so?”
 
“I know so, and when he’s back I’m sure he’ll be a better person.”
 
Jaekyung remained in the room for a few more minutes; Baekhyun is currently sitting in the chair next to his mother. He felt so terribly guilty for making his mother feel this way. Jaekyung was in deep thought when Baekhyun’s mother spoke up.
 
“That’s… Baekhyun’s sweater you’re wearing right?” Jaekyung looked down at what she was wearing and nodded slowly.
 
“Yeah, he lent this to me and I… never got a chance to return it.”
 
“Hmm… He never lends his things out to people.”
 
“Huh? I uh…”
 
“No no, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. You must hold a special place in his heart. Were the two of you, close?”
 
“I guess you could say so. I haven’t known him for a while but he’s a good friend, I’m never bored around him haha.”
 
“Good to know I’m not the only person in this world that see’s my son’s positive points.” Jaekyung’s phone started ringing at this moment; it’s her alarm telling her that classes will start in ten minutes.
 
“I have classes now, it was… um nice talking to you. I guess I’ll see you the next time I come back. Bye Mrs. Byun.” Jaekyung bowed slightly and headed to the door, Baekhyun quickly getting up to follow her.
 
“Wait, miss, I never got your name.”
 
“Oh, sorry that was really rude of me. I’m Jaekyung, Choi Jae Kyung.”
 
“Well, it was nice meeting you Jaekyung, I hope to see you again.”
 
“Yes, me too. Bye.” Jaekyung left the room and looked over at Baekhyun, making sure nobody was in earshot before she spoke up.
 
“Are you okay Baek?”
 
“Yeah, I’m fine, thanks.”
 
“Don’t worry about it. Now come on, I gotta get you home fast so I can get to class.”