Chapter 44.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

 
“I’ll pick you up at noon tomorrow okay?”
 
Jaekyung quickly typed Baekhyun a reply after reading the text message he sent her just now.
 
“Okay, sounds good Baek. I should be done my final by then. I’ll see you tomorrow.”
 
Before Jaekyung could even set her phone down Baekhyun had already sent her a reply.

“Can’t wait, I haven’t seen you in a week =(.”
 
“I know, I know… but I’ll be free soon!”
 
“Hmm, that’s true…Anyways I’ll stop bothering you now haha. Hwaiting Jaekyung-ah! Don’t study too hard and get some sleep okay? I love you, good night sweetie. <3”
 
Jaekyung felt the corner of her lips rise at the ending of Baekhyun’s text message before looking up and sighing. She stared at the pile of notes that she has still yet to go through then back at the text message Baekhyun sent her. Maybe I’ll get to bed before midnight today.
 
“Thanks, I’ll try not to ><. Love you too, nights Baek <3”
 
 
Baekhyun set his phone aside after reading Jaekyung’s text message and took a quick note of the time. 8:30PM. Running back down to the kitchen Baekhyun rummaged through the pantry as an idea popped into his head. She’s going to love this.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Two hours Chanyeol, two more hours until D-Day and nothing has happened yet!!!!” Chanyeol covered his ears with a pillow but it couldn’t block out the yelling Tao.
 
“Tao, how about you get some sleep? It’s another two hours until D-Day but no one celebrates their coming of age until the evening, which means we’ve got a solid twenty hours before anything happens.” Chanyeol sat up and stared at his panda eyed friend. “Baekhyun hasn’t done anything crazy in months and we haven’t had to pick up anybody in weeks. This is the first time I’ve gotten ready for bed before two in the morning Tao, don’t ruin it for me.” Chanyeol flopped back into bed and turned to face the wall so that Tao was looking at his back.
 
“Sorry… I guess I’ll try to get some sleep or something.”
 
“Good. Night Tao.”
 
“Night Chanyeol.” Chanyeol could hear Tao walking towards his own bed, dragging his feet the entire time.
 
Ten minutes passed and Chanyeol was finally starting to fall asleep when Tao’s voice caused his eyes to shoot open.
 
“Hey, you still awake Chanyeol?” Chanyeol groaned and stuffed his face into the pillow, his answer to Tao’s question coming out distorted and muffled.
 
“I am now.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Done.” Baekhyun wiped his hands across his apron as he looked at his creation, a small strawberry shortcake decorated with a thick layer of white whipping cream and slices of strawberries across the top. Thanks to his mother’s love for baking his pantry held a large variety of boxes for him to go through before he found a plain white one to go with his simple cake. He set the cake inside of the box carefully then placed it into the fridge, a soft smile sitting on his face. Looking around the kitchen, Baekhyun starts to clean up the slight mess he made before going upstairs and getting ready for bed, feeling relieved for the first time since he’s found his calling.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Bye Jaekyung! See you after the break! Have a nice holiday!” Jaekyung waved goodbye to her classmates as she stepped outside, the cold winter breeze hitting her face. The exam had gone better than she expected, putting her into an extremely good mood. She’ll have less to worry about during the exams after her winter break.
 
“Jaekyung-ah!!!” Jaekyung didn’t even leave the front gates before a beaming Baekhyun came sprinting her way, his arms outstretched and reaching for her. As he got closer he threw his arms around Jaekyung and pulled her into a tight hug. “I missed you so much, how did the exam go?”
 
Jaekyung giggled as Baekhyun placed a sweet kiss on her lips.
 
“I missed you to Baek and the exam went much better than I thought.”
 
“That’s good, how about we go to my place to celebrate?” Baekhyun freed Jaekyung from the hug but quickly clasped his hand around hers as they headed towards his car.
 
“Mmm call!” The two of them laughed at Jaekyung’s slight burst of aegyo and reached the car with bright smiles on their faces.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once the couple arrived at the Byun residence Baekhyun rushed out of the car and helped Jaekyung out before their usual worker does. Baekhyun still hasn’t gotten over the first little exchange he and Jaekyung had.
 
“Thanks Baek.” Baekhyun held onto Jaekyung’s hand tightly and lead her into the house, his mother shouting to him from the living room the moment the door slammed shut.
“Baekhyun, did you bring Jaekyung over?!”
 
“Yeah, she’s right here omma!” After confirming that Jaekyung is actually here Baekhyun’s mother got up from her comfortable seating position to go see Jaekyung.
 
“Ahh Jaekyung! I haven’t seen you in a while, how did your exams go?”
 
“Hi omoni, it went really well thank you for asking. How have you been? Is your health alright? You had a slight cough the last time I came to visit.”
 
“That’s good to hear and I’m perfectly fine now Jaekyung, thank you as well.”
 
“Omma, she hasn’t even taken her shoes off yet you can talk to her in the living room while I make us lunch okay?”
 
“Baek.” Jaekyung whispered at him before playfully smacking his arms.
 

“What?” Jaekyung shook her head as Baekhyun’s mother chuckled at the two.
 
“Haha it’s fine Jaekyung, Baekhyun was right. Come on, let’s get your shoes off then head to the living room, you’ve been working so hard let Baekhyun treat you today.”
 
“Okay omoni, I have to ask you about that, anyways.” Baekhyun’s eyebrow rose at Jaekyung’s comment.
 
“About what?”
 
“Girl talk Baekhyun, girl talk. Don’t be nosy and leave Jaekyung and me alone while you make us food okay?” Baekhyun pouted and grumbled out of his breath as he watched them head to the living room.
 
“Fine, it’s not like I want to know anyways.”