Chapter 22.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

 
Jaekyung’s eyes widen at his question, Jaemin can see Baekhyun?
 
“Yeah, he’s noona’s friend. His name is Baekhyun.” Jaekyung walks over and pulls Baekhyun into the room, although smiling her face was pale. She must be thinking the same thing as Baekhyun when Jaemin smiled at him earlier.
 
“Baek, this is Jaemin.” Baekhyun kneeled down and reached his hand out for Jaemin’s.
 
“Hi Jaemin, it’s nice to meet you.” Jaemin shook Baekhyun’s hand, clearly happy that he’d have another friend.
 
“Hi Baekhyun hyung! I’m sure you’re an awesome person if you’re Jaekyung noona’s friend.” Baekhyun chuckled at the child’s words. Although he was weak and wearing a hat to cover his bald head, Jaemin was a happy and bright kid.
 
“Haha, you’re quite awesome yourself Jaemin.” Jaemin looked up at Jaekyung and put his thumbs up.
 
“Noona, I like Baekhyun hyung, you should bring him here more often.” Jaekyung kneeled down next to Baekhyun and patted Jaemin’s head.
 
“I’ll bring him here every day.” Baekhyun turned his head slightly and faced Jaekyung; he could tell she was worried. As the two of them got up Baekhyun grabbed Jaekyung’s hand and squeezed it lightly, a way of reassuring her that the thoughts they were thinking could be wrong. No words were exchanged but they could tell what was on each other’s minds.
 
“Jaemin, Baekhyun is going to stay with you while I warm up your water and get your vitamins okay? I’ll take you out to where the other kids are afterwards.”
 
Jaekyung hurries out of the room and spots Sora sitting on the chairs with Hyunwoo. They must be waiting for her. Jaekyung walks over to them and tells them to wait in the playroom with the other kids.
 
“I have to get Jaemin’s vitamin’s first, the bottle in his room is empty.” Hyunwoo nodded and grabbed Sora’s hand.
 
“Come on, let’s go wait with everybody else, Jaekyung noona is busy.” Jaekyung smiled at the scene in front of her, other than Woori and herself, no one has ever held Sora’s hands before. Although no one has made fun of her burns either, they were all much too afraid to touch the scars that formed on her little hands.
 
“I’ll be fast.”
 
Jaekyung walked over to the front where Sooyeon was and asked her for another bottle of the vitamins prescribed for Jaemin. She takes the bottle and thanks Sooyeon.
 
“Thank you.” Jaekyung was about to leave but stops when Sooyeon calls her name.
 
“Jaekyung, you holding up alright? You can take some time off if you’d like you know. Most volunteers don’t work five days a week like you do. This is the first time you’ve encountered a passing and it’s always the hardest the first time around.” Jaekyung felt grateful for Sooyeon’s words and the fact that she was worried about her.
 
“I’m fine, thank you for asking Sooyeon. Don’t worry about it, it’ll be better for me to do the usual and keep my schedule the same.” Jaekyung bowed her head lightly then left for Jaemin’s room.
 
She walks inside to the sight of Baekhyun laughing with Jaemin, it seems like the two of them are getting along quite well.
 
“Oh, noona’s back!”
 
Jaekyung walks in with a new bottle of vitamins and takes two of them out. She then pours a cup of warm water from the kettle she was heating up and walks over to Jaemin.
 
“Here Jaemin.”
 
“Thank you Jaekyung noona.” Jaemin grabs the pills from Jaekyung’s hands and eats them quickly, his face scrunching at the awful taste that filled his mouth. He takes a large gulp of water, letting his face relax again after the taste is washed down.
 
“Awesome job Jaemin. Let’s go to the playroom where everybody else is okay?” Jaekyung sets the cup down and puts the bottle of vitamins into the drawers before taking the handle of Jaemin’s wheelchair. Eye’s glancing down at him every now and then.
 
“Are you still worried?” Baekhyun whispers so that only Jaekyung can hear him.
 
“About what?”
 
“You know what I’m talking about.” Jaekyung bites her lower lips as tears slowly form in her eyes. She nods slightly and continues to walk.
 
“Don’t think about it too much alright? I know what you’re thinking and I thought that as well, what if Jaemin will be like Woori but I pushed them away. We don’t know how everything works so it’s best to not worry. Just do as you always do.” Jaekyung looks up at Baekhyun, thankful that he’s here with her right now. She feels comforted knowing that she has a caring friend like him.
 
“Thanks Baek.”
 
 
 
 
Jaekyung spends the next hour keeping an eye on the kids, making sure the ones who required medication or vitamins took theirs at their specific times and that no one got hurt while playing. When it reached ten o’clock, Jaemin’s nurse took him back to his room while Jaekyung gathered the rest of the kids and read all of them a bedtime story. It’s been a while since she came here at night and the kids loved the way she reads.
 
After reading her story, most of the kids went back to their rooms on their own while the younger ones like Sora stayed around and waited for Jaekyung to take them. Hyunwoo told Jaekyung that Sora’s uncle didn’t visit her again today so Jaekyung paid extra close attention to the five year old. She brought her to her room and tucked her in bed personally.
 
“Sweet dreams Sora, unnie will be back in two days.” Jaekyung brushed Sora’s bangs to the side and kissed her forehead.
 
“Bye, thank you for coming today unnie.”
 
Baekhyun watched as Jaekyung brought the kids to their rooms and tucked Sora in, amazed at how perfect she looked while doing so. Jaekyung would make a great mother. The way she looked at the kids with care, and the amount of effort she put into the things she did made Baekhyun wish he could find passion towards a career like Jaekyung. Meeting her has been the greatest thing that ever happened to him. Who would have guessed that someone as spoiled as Baekhyun would actually want to do something in his life that didn’t involve partying or wasting his day away with the wrong crowd?
 
“Baek, Baekhyun?” Baekhyun didn’t even realize that he had completely dazed out until Jaekyung waved her hands in front of his face.
 
“I’m done; you want to go see if your parents are here right?”
 
“Huh? Oh right, yeah. If it’s alright with you I’d like to go see if they’re still here.”
 
“Of course it’s alright with me.”