Chapter 34.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

“A Fettuccine Alfredo for me, a Creamy Chicken and Rotini Primavera for my mother and Spaghetti and Meatballs for my girlfriend please.”  Jaekyung’s held in her smile as Baekhyun ordered for the three of them. She still doesn’t consider them official since Baekhyun has yet to ask her out but the fact that Baekhyun just called her that sent butterflies to her stomach. Baekhyun’s mother noticed this and raised her eyebrows, chuckling lightly at how Jaekyung then put on a poker face before responding to what Baekhyun had just called her.
 
“Girlfriend?”
 
“What? You don’t like me calling you that in public Jaekyunggie?” Baekhyun smirked thinking she was simply shy but boy was he way off.
 
“No, I don’t like you calling me that cause I’m not your girlfriend.” Baekhyun thought he had heard her wrong and furrowed his eyebrows.
 
“Huh?” Baekhyun’s mother leaned back on her chair and watched them in amusement. As a female herself she knew where Jaekyung was getting at.
 
“I said I don’t like you calling me that cause I’m not your girlfriend.” Yet she thought. Baekhyun was left absolutely confused.
 
“What do you mean?” Jaekyung rested her head on her right hand and smiled sweetly at Baekhyun.
 
“Mmm I don’t know… how about you tell me that?” Baekhyun’s mother laughed out loud as Baekhyun’s face grew even more confused. Well played Jaekyung, well played.
 
Baekhyun looked over at his mother after hearing her laugh and sighed.
 
“Omma, this isn’t funny! Help me; your son’s future is on the line here!”
 
“I can’t help you; you need to figure this one out on your own. I’m sure Jaekyung wouldn’t appreciate it if I told you what to do.”
 
“Precisely.” Baekhyun opened his mouth to protest but stopped as the waiter brought their food to the table. “Foods here!” Completely ignoring Baekhyun Jaekyung grabs her fork and digs in.
 
“Does your food taste alright Jaekyung?”
 
“Mmm! It’s delicious Mrs. Byun, you chose the perfect place.” Jaekyung put her thumbs up and smiled in an adorable fashion, causing Baekhyun to choke on his water.
 
“Omo!” Baekhyun’s mother grabbed a napkin while Jaekyung ran towards him, rubbing his back up and down.
 
“Baek! Don’t eat so quickly, look at you!” Jaekyung scrunched her eyebrows while reprimanding him. When Baekhyun’s breathing finally calmed down he took another small sip of water and took in a deep breath.
 
“Please don’t ever do that while I’m eating ever again.” Jaekyung cocked her head to the side in confusion.
 
“Huh?”
 
“That too! Ahh just aish! Never mind.” Baekhyun clutched the fork in his hand and began to eat again. That was embarrassing.
 
Jaekyung giggled as she got back to her seat, she was fully aware of what caused Baekhyun to joke, she isn’t an idiot you know? She had intended to a little more but decided against that, she’ll wait till Baekhyun’s mother isn’t here first.
 
“Jaekyung do you need a ride to school after we’re done eating today?”
 
“Oh thank you for offering but my classes are cancelled for the day. Someone tore the bag that contained biohazards so there’s quite a bit of toxic fumes in the area. It’s going to take all day for them to clear it up.”
 
“Oh! Then how about you join us for dinner then? You can help Baekhyun unpack his things too if you don’t mind.” Baekhyun’s ears twitched at his mother’s suggestion. While eating his lunch Baekhyun peeked up at Jaekyung, waiting for her answer.
“Sure, I’d love to!”
 
“Great, we’ll head straight home after we finish eating then.”
 
 
 
After the three of them finished their lunches they got into the car and headed for Baekhyun’s place. Jaekyung has never been there so she’s actually fairly nervous, it doesn’t help that she has yet to meet Baekhyun’s father.
 
“Jaekyung ah, are you alright? Are you feeling sick anywhere?” Baekhyun’s mother put her hand on Jaekyung’s forehead to make sure she wasn’t heating up.
 
“Hmm? Jaekyung’s sick?” Baekhyun brought his focus from the window staring outside to Jaekyung immediately.
 
“Oh no don’t worry about it Baek and I’m fine Mrs. Byun, just tired that’s all.” Baekhyun frowned as Jaekyung continued to deny his existence.
 
“Ahh of course, you have so many of your own things to do and you’ve been taking care of Baekhyun on top of that. Aigoo, I’ll get ahjumma to make you some soup tonight.”
 
“That would be splendid, thank you so much Mrs. Byun.” Baekhyun’s mother smiled and leaned over so only Jaekyung could hear.
 
“You’re very welcome; I hope to hear you call me omoni very soon.” Jaekyung blushed at the comment and looked away from Baekhyun’s questioning look.
 
“I hope so too Mrs. Byun.”
 
Baekhyun folded his arms and leaned back onto his seat with his eyes closed. They’re definitely hiding something from me.