Chapter 36.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

Weeks went by after the day Baekhyun asked Jaekyung to be his girlfriend and the feelings they had for the other only continued to grow. As the school year started to reach a close though, Jaekyung became even busier with her studies. Her volunteering schedule is currently reduced to once a week and the time she spends with Baekhyun involves him walking her to school and the two of them volunteering together. While Jaekyung is working hard at becoming a doctor though, Baekhyun himself has been trying his best to find his “calling”. He wants to get somewhere with his life, he can’t just sit around and do nothing while his girlfriend works day and night towards her dreams. On accident while walking Jaekyung home last night, his eyes caught sight of her bills. He had no idea that she was in so much debt from her student loans. Now that he thought about it, she didn’t work and volunteered all the time. How did she pay for everything? Baekhyun wanted to ask but didn’t know if he should…
 
“Baek, are you alright? You’re really quiet today.” Hands intertwined, Baekhyun and Jaekyung were making their way to the hospital while trudging through the melting snow.
 
“I’m fine but can I ask you something?”
 
“Yeah of course, what is it?”
 
“I saw your bills last night by accident and um… if you want I can help you with them.” Jaekyung felt her heart warm up at Baekhyun’s offer but there is no way she would take him up on that.
 
“Don’t worry about it Baek. I work once the school year’s over to cover those; it’s no big deal really.” Baekhyun tightened his hold onto Jaekyung’s hands and pecked her cheeks.
 
“Alright, but if you ever need my help with anything don’t be afraid to ask.” Jaekyung’s smile was so bright that people miles away could see the happiness in her eyes.
 
“Thanks Baek, I’ll be sure to do that if I ever need anything, but for now, I’m content with just having you by my side.” This time Jaekyung kissed Baekhyun’s cheek as they swung their hands back and forth on their way to the hospital.
 
 
“Unnie!!! Oppa!!!” Sora sprints towards the couple and jumps up as Baekhyun catches her.
 
“Yah, no running at the hospital you little rascal.” Baekhyun pinches her cheeks and holds her as he makes his way to where the other kids are. Jaekyung smiles at the scene and heads to the back to put her things away.
 
“Baekhyun, give me your coat, I’ll put it into my locker since you don’t have one yet.” Baekhyun puts Sora down and takes his jacket off, handing it to Jaekyung.
 
“Thanks.” The pair kisses each other lightly then parted ways.
 
“Oppa! Can you sing me a lullaby to sleep tonight after Jaekyung unnie tells us a bedtime story? Byun ahjumma said that you’re a good singer the last time she came to visit us!” Baekhyun coughed lightly at Sora’s question but couldn’t say no after looking at her adorable little eyes.
 
“Yeah, why not? Oppa will sing you a lullaby tonight.”
 
“Yay! Come on let’s go!” Sora held onto Baekhyun’s hand and dragged him towards the centre of where all the kids were playing. A few new faces have appeared since he last came to visit while a few others have been discharged. Even though he has known them for a short period of time, he feels down when saying goodbye to the ones that leave. He can’t imagine how Jaekyung feels. He now knows why she was so torn during the two incidents.
 
After putting her things away, Jaekyung took a step outside and smiled as she watched Baekhyun play with the kids. She couldn’t peel her eyes away from the innocent smile displayed on his face. It’s hard to find a guy who sincerely enjoys the time with the kids while volunteering so Jaekyung felt really lucky to have Baekhyun as her boyfriend.
 
“Hey guys, looks like you’re having fun with Baekhyun.” Sora nodded her head and got up from their board game.
 
“Mm, Baekhyun oppa is really nice. Just like you unnie!” Jaekyung laced her fingers with Sora’s and took a seat next to her.
 
“Really now?”
 
“Yep!”
 
Baekhyun sneaked over to sit on the other side of Sora and reached over to hold Jaekyung’s hand. Jaekyung felt a soft tug and knew what Baekhyun was thinking. They can play monopoly with one hand, there’s no problem with that at all. Not for Jaekyung and Baekhyun at least.
 
 
 
 
 
 
“I can’t take this anymore, they’re too lovey dovey all the time.” Chanyeol laughed and punched Tao’s arm lightly.
 
“Don’t worry, only a few more years until Baekhyun turns twenty-five and no longer our problem.” Looking through the hospital window Chanyeol takes a sip of his hot chocolate before passing it to Tao. “Don’t feel too sad Tao, you’ve got the rest of eternity with me.” Chanyeol flashes Tao a giant smile and gives him a thumbs up.
 
“Ughh, don’t remind me.”
 
“What?! I’m awesome, you should be happy that we got paired up. Would you rather spend the rest of eternity partnered up with grumpy old Kris? Lay’s the only person who can stand him for more than an hour.”
 
“I guess…”
 
“Haha come on, let’s go. I think we’ve seen enough for the day.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Alright guys, Baekhyun and I have to go now that I’m done reading. We’ll be back the same time next week.” Jaekyung set the book down and made sure all the kids went back to their respective rooms when Sora tugged onto her shirt. “Oh Sora, it’s time for bed.”
 
“Baekhyun oppa said he would sing me a lullaby tonight.” Baekhyun walked over from setting the toys away and kneeled down so that he was eye level with Sora.
 
“That’s right, oppa will sing for you once you get to your room okay?”
 
“Okay.” Sora held onto Baekhyun with one hand and Jaekyung with the other, dragging the couple to her room. “Unnie should listen too!”
 
“I never knew you could sing.”
 
“I can’t, my mom just thinks I can.”
 
“I’ll be the judge of that.” The three of them finally reached Sora’s room, Jaekyung tucking her in before Baekhyun walked over.
 
“Alright, don’t blame me if your ears start to leak brain.” Jaekyung laughed and took a seat next to Sora.
 
“Are you sure you want to listen to Baekhyun oppa sing?”
 
“Yep! Don’t you unnie?” Jaekyung beamed and nodded her head.
 
“Yeah… Unnie wants to hear as well.”