Chapter 17.

Seeing Through Her Eyes

 

After making Jaekyung her tea, Baekhyun walks to the living room and hears Jaekyung’s muffled cries again. He set the tea down on the coffee table and took a seat next to her; he pulls her into his arms and hugs her close. The two of them don’t say a single word for the next little while. Jaekyung’s glad to have Baekhyun by her side during a time of need while Baekhyun tries his best to comfort her. He also can’t seem to shrug off the feeling of how right it is to have her in his arms.
 
The rest of their day is spent quietly. Jaekyung took a warm bath to relax herself while Baekhyun volunteered to make them lunch. Very few words were exchanged while the two of them ate, Baekhyun didn’t want to say the wrong things and Jaekyung simply had nothing to say, her mind is preoccupied with thoughts about Woori. While picking at the cold pasta Baekhyun made Jaekyung finally asked Baekhyun a question.
 
“Baek…Do you believe in heaven?” Baekhyun finished chewing his food and answered Jaekyung quickly.
 
“Yeah, I do, you?”
 
“I don’t know… I guess. Do you think that… maybe, just maybe Woori is watching over us in heaven right now as we speak?” Baekhyun looked at the worry and desperation in Jaekyung’s face.
 
“Yes and I’m sure she’d want to see you happy again soon.” Like me.
 
“Hmm, I hope you’re right…” Jaekyung put her head down and took a small bite of the pasta; although she didn’t have the appetite to eat right now, she knows how bad it is to skip your meals.
 
 
 
 
 
“Tao!”
 
“Huh? What is it hyung?” Tao was stretching out his limbs when Chanyeol appeared.
 
“We’re in charge of getting Woori from the gates.”
 
“Woori?”
 
“Yeah, Woori, that little girl we saw at the hospital with Baekhyun and his soulmate.” Tao opened his mouth from remembering.
 
“Ooooh her! What?! She’s here already?”
 
“No not yet, we have to go get her in an hour.”
 
“Oh no, poor girl. She’s so young too…”
 
“I know, I know, it’s a pity she can’t live life and grow up like her peers.” Tao cocked his head to the side, Chanyeol’s been talking differently lately. He seems more… mature. Odd.
 
“Mhmm.”
 
“That’s why we have to help Baekhyun so he doesn’t put his life to waste!” Tao stared at the look of determination in Chanyeol’s face; he’s never seen his hyung like this before.
 
“Right.”
 
 
 
 
 
After lunch, Baekhyun and Jaekyung sat on the couch to watch some TV. She’s not in the right state of mind to get any work done and Baekhyun’s afraid to leave her alone. He wants to be there for her if she breaks down again. Jaekyung has been taking care of him over the past few weeks and just yesterday she was trying to help him with his problems, he wants to be the one for her to lean on now. He wants to show Jaekyung that he is someone she can depend on. He decides the first step to becoming that man would be to figure out what he wants to do with this life of his. Baekhyun stole a quick glance Jaekyung’s way and put his hand over his racing heart.