Karma

When I'm with You

 

 
-----------------------
You sprung up from the water gasping for air. You swam over to the edge of the pool and wiped the water off your face. *Thank god mom forced me take swimming lessons last year.*
 
The clicking of heels came towards you. “A bit of a mess you are in aren’t you?” A smirk appeared on Yumi’s face.  “Take this as a warning.” She took out her phone and there was a sudden flash. She held the phone to you showing you the picture she had just taken and walked away.
 
People crowded around the pool. You had make up running down your face and your dress was entirely wet. They pointed to you and laughed.
 
“_______!” Ilhoon pushed through everyone. He helped you get out of the pool. “What happened?” he asked. “Did Yumi do this to you?” You nodded. “You must be cold. Here.” Ilhoon took off his blazer and put it around your shoulders. “Thanks.” “Move out of the way!” Jiyeon, Zelo, and the other members of BTOB ran to you. ”_______!” “Are you okay?!” “You’re all wet!”
 
“Let’s get you dried off before you get sick.” Jiyeon walked with you to the bathroom. On the way there, Minhyuk came out of the men’s restroom and saw you two. “What happened?” he asked. “Yumi pushed _______ into the pool,” she said and went into the bathroom after you.
 
Minhyuk took out his phone and called Yumi but she didn’t pick up. *Where the hell is she?* He thought and went to look for her.
 
“That Yumi, I want to beat her up so badly. Who does she think she is pushing you in the pool like that?” Jiyeon was leaning against the counter waiting for you to finish changing. “Why were you with her in the first place?” she asked. “I was just outside and she came to me telling me to stay away from Ilhoon. I just tried to ignore her and she pushed me,” you said.
 
Jiyeon sighed. “There still an hour until the ship gets back to the dock,” she said. “What are you going to do now?” You came out of the stall now all dry except for your hair. “Let’s go back to the guys.”
 
Yumi found Ilhoon outside staring out at the water. She walked up behind him and put a hand on his shoulder. He was taken back by the sudden feeling. “Why are you alone here?” she asked.
 
He took off her hand. “Why did you push _______ into the water?” Ilhoon asked her.  “She was being rude to me.” “Don’t lie.” “I’m not lying. She was ignoring me and tried to walk off. I had every right to do that to her,” she said.
 
“No you didn’t.” Ilhoon looked at her “Yumi, when will you understand that you and I will never be together? I will never in my entire life want to be with you.”
 
“But I can change that-“
 
“You can’t and you won’t. Even if you’re the last person on this ing universe, I wouldn’t want to be with you.” Yumi’s smile faded. Her feelings were now hurt and Ilhoon saw that. *Was I too harsh?*
 
“I’m not the guy you’d want to be with. I’m sure there are plenty of other guys that you would be perfect for but I’m not one of them,” said Ilhoon. He watched as she slowly walked away back into the ballroom.
 
Yumi was thinking about what Ilhoon had just said to her. *Should I give up on him…*
 
She went to the food table to get a refreshment. While drinking, someone accidentally bumped into her and her drink spilled onto her. “Aish, my dress is ruined! ”She sent him a death glare. “Opps, hehe… sorry,” said the person and slowly smiled away. Yumi grabbed some napkins and tried to wipe it. *This won’t do. I need to wash it off before it’ll become a stain.*
 
Yumi headed to the exit but before she could, she tripped on someones chair and fell in the middle of the walkway. People around looked at her then laughed and giggled. They started taking pictures of her. Her face turned red. *This is so embarrassing.* She kept her head down and quickly ran out of the room.
 
While passing by the pool to get to the bathroom, one of her heels suddenly broke and she went falling into the pool. “AHHHHHH!”
 
Minhyuk watched her as she fell. She sprouted from the water and was surprised to see Minhyuk bent down in front of her. “Minhyuk.”
 
He smirked. “Karma doesn’t it.” “Shut up and help me.” Minhyuk lent a hand and pulled Yumi up. “No one saw you. They’re all inside right now.” Yumi was quiet. “Having fun?” he asked. Minhyuk tilted his head to look at her. “Are those tears or water from the pool?” he laughed. “Wait, let me go get you some napkins or maybe if I can find a towel somewhere…”
 
Yumi stood there and waited for him. A few minutes later, he came back with a towel and handed it to her. She wiped the water on her face away but there were still water dropping from her eyes. “Are you… really crying?”
 
“Everything is just wrong! No matter how much I try, Ilhoon won’t accept me. I tripped was humiliated in front of everyone. Now, my heel broke, I fell into the water, and I’m all wet. Why is this all happening to me?!” She cried harder and leaned on Minhyuk’s chest. He was startled by her but awkwardly patted her back.
 
She sniffed and looked up at him. “Why are you being so nice to me?” she asked. “Erm, well… You’re my cousin and we’re family… And you’re getting me wet.” “Oh, sorry.” She pulled back.
 
“Maybe, if you were a nicer to people, better things would happen. But, like I said before, the world doesn’t revolve around you. If you don’t want anyone to see you like his, I suggest you get dried now.” Yumi nodded and left. *Where am I going to find spare clothes…*
 
You and Jiyeon saw Minhyuk alone near the pool. “Minhyuk, what are you doing here by yourself?” Jiyeon asked. “And why is your shirt wet?” “Huh? Oh, I spilled some water on it. No biggie.” Minhyuk looked towards you. You had your normal clothes on and you were holding onto Ilhoon’s blazer. “You’re hair is still wet,” he pointed out. “Yeah, it’ll dry off,” you replied. “Let’s go back in, it’s getting cold out here.”
 
Walking back into the ballroom, you felt out of place. The three of you went back to BTOB’s table and sat down. You handed Ilhoon back his blazer. “Thanks, I’m sorry I got it wet.” “It’s alright.”
 
After the dance was over, everyone got off the ship. You and Zelo waited outside for Hoya to pick you guys up. Minhyuk’s aunt called him and told him to take Yumi home. He waited outside the ship for her and after 10 minutes she cam staggering out.
 
Yumi was still in her wet dress and her hair was still damp. “Where were you?” Minhyuk asked. “Were you in the bathroom the entire time?” She nodded and said, “Let’s go.” She sat shotgun next to Minhyuk in the car. “Are you sure you’re okay?” “Yeah, I’m just tired." 
 
She looked out the window and still thought about Ilhoon's words. "I’m sure there are plenty of other guys that you would be perfect for you, but I’m just not one of them." *Are there really?*