Not Too Young

When I'm with You
----------------
 
“You’re kidding me right.” You leaned on the kitchen counter and messed up your hair in frustration.
Your mom patted your back. “I’m sorry honey, but there’ll always be a next time.”
 “Why did it have to be next week? Why can’t we go the week after?” you complained.
 “Your cousin Sandy is getting married. That’s why we’re going. And besides, it’s been a while, you should go back and visit also,” said your dad.
“Who’s Cousin Sandy?” Zelo asked.
“You don’t remember? The lady who gave the bucket of popcorn the last time you visited,” you replied.
“OHH! Popcorn lady? I like her, she’s really nice. Even though I had no idea what she was saying to me in English.” He laughed and you shook your head.
“Who is she getting married to?” you asked your parents.
“You don’t remember? She’s getting married to the guy who helped tutor you in seventh grade.”
“You mean William? I didn’t know they were dating.”
“Hey mom, dad. You know who else is dating someone?” A huge smile appeared on his face and you knew what was happening next.
“Who?” They asked.
You eyed him. *Don’t you dare say anything Zelo.*
“Why don’t you ask the person next to me.” They all looked towards you.
“______, what is he talking about?”
You shrugged. “I have no idea what he’s talking about either.”
Zelo rolled his eyes. “_______’s dating someone.”
You mom’s mouth started blabbering out stuff. “Who? Is it Minhyuk? Oh I knew he would ask you someday. I’m happy for you _________.”
“No mom, it’s not Minhyuk,” you said.
“Oh. Then who is it?” your mom asked.
“Ilhoon,” you replied.
“Oh. I like him too. That boy is really nice.”
Your dad halted the conversation. “Wait hold on. Shouldn’t we be the good parents we are and disapprove of our children’s relationships during high school? They are still young and should be focused on school.”
“Oh come on. I know what you were like in high school. Dating girls one after another,” said your mom and your dad cleared his throat.
“How would you know? Didn’t you meet dad during college?” you asked.
“We’ve been to his high school reunions and I’ve met the girls he had been with before,” she replied.
“Really? What were they like?” Zelo asked.
Your mom laughed, “Well, let’s just say that they’re all married now. The funny part is that they made fun of your dad. Like how in the 11th grade your dad-“
“Yah! Don’t tell them!” said your dad.
Zelo whined. “Noo! I want to know what dad did.”
Your dad pushed the two of you out of the door way. “Nope, story time is over. Get back to whatever you were doing you two.”
 
You went back to your room and sat back in front of your computer. You sighed. *Now I need to tell Ilhoon about it.* You went to see if he was still on but he was offline. *Where’s my phone?* You looked around your desk, checked your bag, and felt your pockets but you couldn’t find it. *Whatever, I’ll tell him tomorrow.*
 
You laid on your bed and just looked blankly at the ceiling. *If did go to the dance, it would probably be over by the time I get there… This .*
 
The next morning, you told Ilhoon the news before school started.
“Oh, is that so. I guess we could go to the next dance together…” said Ilhoon.
“I’m sorry. I was really looking forward to going with you. It’s just that I might not be able to make it before the ship leaves the dock.”
“It’s okay. You can always make it up to me.” He smiled.
 
During lunch, Jiyeon called you over to sit with her and her friends. You sat next to her and then decided to tell her about it also.
“What! But this is going to be one of the best school dances in the school year! Well besides prom but you still shouldn’t miss it. It’s going to be better than the rest of the dances,” said Jiyeon. “We were going to have so much fun…”
 
Jiyeon spotted Minhyuk, Ilhoon, and Peniel getting their lunches. She waved to them and motioned them to come and sit with her. They came and sat in the empty seats around the table near you. Ilhoon sat down across the table from you. Jiyeon got up. “Ilhoon! Sit here instead.”
“Uhh. Okay,” he replied. They exchanged places and Ilhoon sat down next to you.
 
“Oh come on. You guys look so awkward with each other,” said Jiyeon. *That’s because you guys are here* Ilhoon thought. Jiyeon grabbed your hand and Ilhoon’s then put them together. She smiled. “Just helping you guys. Hehe.”
 “Ohh, Ilhoon you’re happy aren’t you,” said one of Jiyeon’s friends.
You had your head down to prevent others from seeing your face turn red.
“I knew you had something for ______,” said Peniel. “I can’t believe you guys are dating now.” 
 
As lunch went on, the conversation moved on to different topics. Jiyeon looked over to Minhyuk who was sitting next to her. She noticed that he was just eating and staring at his lunch and wasn’t really involved in talking with them.
“Is something wrong?” Jiyeon asked. “You seem a bit quiet today.”
“Nothing. I’m just a little tired,” he replied.
“So what do you think of Ilhoon and _______?” she asked him.
Minhyuk looked up at the two of you. His and your hand was still locked with one another. “Erm, yeah… I’m happy for them,” he said and went back to staring at his lunch.
*Doesn’t seem like you’re happy.* Jiyeon thought.
 
In PE your teacher made the class run 5 laps around the track field. After you finished running, you were exhausted. Ilhoon appeared in front of you and handed a water bottle. “Good job.”
“Thanks,” you said before taking a gulp of water.
 
Minhyuk was with his class and watched when Ilhoon ran over to you. He remembered the time when he offered you a water bottle during basketball practice.
 
“You ran pretty fast. You should join the track team,” said Ilhoon.
“No, I hate running and besides, there were a lot of people who were in front of me,” you replied.
“But those were all guys. You were the first girl to finish.”
 
“Ilhoon! Get back here and join the class!” The two of you heard his teacher yell out to them.
“I’ll see you later,” he said and left.