Chapter 73: Healing

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just as Wonwoo promised, he gave her the space she did not even admit she needed. He even went out of his way and got out of their hotel room while she was washing up and did not come back until later, handing her bars of dark chocolate, which usually helped her when she had cramps. She was not suffering from that, but the gesture was enough to make her feel better.

He also did kiss her forehead, goodnight, before turning the lights off, though, and it brought that same old butterflies flutter in her stomach. She always had trouble sleeping alone in hotel rooms and it would help if Wonwoo caressed her hair like he usually did before, but he stayed in his bed, staying up reading things off the internet on his phone. She let herself be contented knowing he was a few feet from her.

She closed her eyes but sleep did not come until two hours later. Not until she heard the soft snore come out of a sleeping Wonwoo was she able to relax and drift off. Yeah, she needed that distance, alright.

Eunhye was awaken when she felt her bed shift, and her eyes shot open. She found Wonwoo gently shaking her through the duvet.

"Do you want to go get breakfast?" he asked softly. "Or at least coffee?"

"Good morning," she said, sitting up while rubbing sleep off her eyes. "Yes, coffee sounds good."

Wonwoo watched her longingly, but his hands stayed where they were on his lap. She stared at him with the same intensity and then reached out and held one of his hands. She saw his shoulders slump down as the tension eased from them and he squeezed back, giving her a small smile.

But that was it and he moved away so she could prepare for their day. He went ahead while she washed up and changed. When she got down to the dining hall, he waved her over, having already filled some plates with pancakes, waffles and scrambled eggs along with a steaming mug of coffee.

"Don't worry," he remarked, noticing she was eyeing the eggs suspiciously. He pointed to the part of the counter where a hotel crew was cooking eggs, and pushed one plate towards her. "They cooked it, not me. That's a cheese omelet with some mushrooms."

"Thanks," she said with a smile as she dug in. She did not recall telling him she liked her omelet with mushrooms but he guessed anyway. "So what are the plans for today?"

She was good at making her own plans, and she actually searched for good places the other day while they were on the train, but she knew how much Wonwoo liked to do it. Besides, she never really usually stuck to her plan, anyway, so it was better the follow his. Eunhye also learned Wonwoo did not like surprises very much, and if she wanted their day to be good, it better go his way.

"A temple," he answered, chewing on a waffle. "I had actually wanted to go before 5AM and see the sunrise, but you were sound asleep so I let you."

And Eunhye thought he woke her early because it was just half past seven. "Didn't really sleep well last night," she admitted. "No one was my hair. And someone snored."

He pressed his lips together, hiding a smile, knowing she was teasing him. He took a strawberry with his fork and put it on her plate. "YOU snored."

"Shut up, I did not."

Soon, they were done with their light breakfast--both of them were not used to eating that early, but had to because of their plans for that day--and stopped by in their room quickly before heading out. Every time their bodies would be close together, she had the urge to pull him to her, but she always held herself back. He was right. They needed the space.

It was foreign. She had just gotten used to the openly touchy Wonwoo, and now it was as if they were back to that time when they were hiding their relationship from their friends, except there was no one but the two of them.

The plus side, though, was that it gave her the chance to focus on their surroundings. Feel the vacation. As they walked to the temple, both sides of the road were filled with trees and forests, so different from the ones in Seoul. It was good to breathe fresh air and she felt herself getting cleansed just by inhaling it.

Wonwoo was chatty that morning, telling her things he remembered when he was little. He grew up in Changwon, which was almost like Seoul, but he would also visit his grandparents on the countryside of Gyeongsang, and he told her stories about his adventures with his childhood friends, cousins and brother. He also asked her about her childhood memories, and she would tell him some of them, which was mostly with Chanyeol. When they talked about grandparents, she would always remember her grandma's place in Anyang, where she met Mingyu. She made a mental note to call her later that day.

"She had this garden," Eunhye told him about her grandmother. "And she let me do what I want with one side of it. That was when I discovered I liked bonsai."

"I would never have the patience for that," Wonwoo confessed. He always liked looking at bonsai trees but he knew the hard work that came with it and did not think it was his cup of tea. "That would take months and years to develop before you could see the effect of what you did."

"That's what makes it rewarding," she argued. "When I would be there, I did not have to worry about anything. Just whether the branch I was bending would grow the way I want it to or not."

"I always knew you liked manipulating things."

She burst out laughing. Indeed, she had a tendency of being a control freak, but she could never do that with him. "One of these days, I'll get you a plant and teach you how to take care of it."

"Yes, ma'am."

That brought out another chuckle from her. That was when they came to the actual temple and the view took the breath out of her, quite literally. fell open as she took the sight in. The ancient architecture fused with nature made her revere the place even if she was not a Buddhist.

There were some tourists with them, too, and they, too, fell quiet as they entered the place. The waves crashed to the rocks on the cliff where the temple was built, and it was like music. She and Wonwoo walked side by side, sometimes drifting away from each other to take pictures, as they took in the wonder of the place.

The sight seeing was not over yet because Wonwoo took her to another park called Taejongdae. There, they walked along the cliffs as Wonwoo read to her the history of the place like a good tour guide. Everything he was saying, she already read somewhere (just because she liked reading), but she listened all the same. He could talk all day and she would never get tired of hearing his voice.

For lunch they had barbeque, both hungry from all the walking and talking. They compared photos on their cameras and agreed to put it somewhere they could show it as a collection. Soon, they were making plans about a vacation scrapbook.

"I'm never good at creative stuff," Wonwoo admitted when he realized she was giving out most of the ideas. "Which is why Mingyu was the one who took design as his major."

"You have me," she assured him with a wink. "I know if I gave you a pad of decorative stickers, you'll just stick everything everywhere whether they matched the picture or not."

He laughed because she was spot on. "Sorry for not having a creative bone in my body."

Eunhye waved him off. "Are you kidding me? I saw the photos you took, and I'm sure we would be using most of yours. I just can't always get the lighting right, for some reason."

"Maybe YOU should take those elective photography classes," he suggested.

"Maybe," she agreed right away. She suddenly seemed sad she was graduating soon.

"Ready for more walking?" he asked as she put away her chopsticks, declaring she was full.

It was window shopping next, as they visited the markets that Busan was known for. Of course, they avoided the ones that sold raw seafood, and went straight to Gukje, enjoying the free taste of street foods and ending up ordering that they could eat for snacks, and then the Biff Square for even more of that. She ended up buying a couple of vintage dresses in Gwanbokro, and him, a shirt that she insisted looked good on him.

"You look like my mom," he commented

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter