Fifty four

Butterfly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

'' Hello, Mrs. Park '' Jiyong greeted and the old woman smiled.

'' Hello '' She greeted back '' I hope I didn't make you wait for long '' She spoke as they took their seats. 

'' It's okay, I just got here a few minutes ago '' The waiter then came and took their orders. 

Once he was gone, Mrs. Park took the napkin and put it on her lap then she looked around at the forks and knives put on both sides of her plates. '' So, Mr. Kwon, what's the occasion for this lunch? '' She asked but there was no sign of annoyance or discontent, she was really nice and her face made him feel comfortable '' It's not usual for us to do this '' She added.

Jiyong raised his eyebrows slightly as he took a breath. He put both of his hands on his thighs and nodded. '' You're right '' He agreed '' Actually, I am here today to ask a favor from you and I hope you won't let me down '' He said and looked at her. Mrs. Park looked at him curiously for a few seconds then she smiled. 

'' Let's talk after we have our dinner, shall we? " She suggested and Jiyong nodded. A few minutes later, two waiters started coming with their food. 

 

 

The restaurant was filled with people from the upper class of society and they were all engrossed in their own conversations. Although the place was nearly full, there was not much noise. A piece of slow classical music was playing on the background and a few waiters were sometimes walking between the tables to attend the orders. 

 

'' How is your father? I just heard that he was admitted to the hospital '' Mrs. Park asked when they moved to their main dish. It was a very appealing beef steak and the smell was mouthwatering. 

'' He's better now, he has been discharged today, actually '' He revealed and the old woman nodded as she cut her steak and was satisfied to find it cooked the way she asked. 

'' That's good to hear... He should take care of himself more, he still has a lot of time to live '' She spoke and they both shared a look and a smile. After that, they both went quiet. 

 

 

It was only when their dessert came, that Mrs. Park finally asked him about the reason for their meeting. 

 

 

'' It's actually a long story '' Jiyong started with a deep intake of breath '' You know, Mr. Lee Ki Nam, right? '' He asked and the woman nodded with a slight frown that was quickly gone. 

" He's your father-in-law, isn't he? '' She inquired. 

'' Yes '' Jiyong answered then he stopped playing with his chocolate pudding. '' I heard that he was a good friend with your late son, Mr. Park Il Sung '' He said and Mrs. Park's whole facial expression changed and she held on the small fork tightly. 

'' What are you getting at Mr. Kwon? '' She asked, her voice a little bit different than it was earlier. 

Jiyong got a little nervous at her reaction but he didn't let it show. '' I'm sure that you're aware that he had something to do with the financial deficit Park Co. had gone through over 22 years ago... '' He noted but she didn't say anything and looked down at her plate. He knew then that she indeed knew it was Mr. Lee who was behind it. '' After I looked into the matter, I found out that Mr. Lee faked some documents and he stole a lot of money from the company and blamed your son for it. All the lost money caused the three main projects that the company was working on to stop and that angered the investors and caused great problems between the shareholders and the board directors. '' He added and then looked at her, he was for a few seconds and when she didn't say anything, he continued '' The share dropped tremendously and if immediate and complete weren't made, Park Co. could have announced it's bankruptcy. And the first thing that was done was removing your son from his position and kicking him out '' He stated and Mrs. Park closed her eyes. 

Her hand was trembling a little bit as all the memories were rushing back to her. '' I knew it wasn't Il Sung who stole the money and forged the signs. '' She sighed '' I couldn't do anything to help him back then and when I was finally able to prove his innocence, he was already gone '' She shared. Jiyong felt sorry for her especially with how troubled she looked. For an instant, he felt a little bit guilty for bringing out the miserable past but he had no other choice. 

'' I know that Mrs. Park '' He said and she looked at him. 

'' What's the point of all this, Jiyong? What do you want? '' She dropped the formalities. 

Jiyong nodded then he let out a deep breath '' He did the same thing to me '' He revealed and the old woman's mouth went slightly opened. '' Two years ago, he set me up and I was trapped into signing a deal that could ruin my whole company and put me in jail for God knows how many years '' He looked at his dessert and his eyes hardened and he clenched one of his hands '' When I found out about it, he told me that he won't do or tell anyone if I agreed to marry his daughter... I refused at first and even left the company '' He sighed bitterly for the nth time '' Eventually, I had agreed because... Because he killed the man that was able to help me then, he tried to kill the woman I'm in love with... '' He explained and Mrs. Park's eyes widened '' I was helpless and I was afraid that I'd lose her so I agreed and married his daughter... For the last couple of years, I kept looking into Mr. Lee's past and with my father and my friend's help, we were able to find some really interesting things but if I faced him by myself, I'm afraid that he'll be able to run away from it '' He told her '' That's why I asked you to come here tonight, I want your help to take revenge from Lee Ki Nam '' He finally stated and the two looked at each other. 

Mrs. Park was hesitant for several seconds, then she looked down. '' Il Sung and Ki Nam, they were really good friends. Although Ki Nam came from different social class, we accepted him as his friend because Il Sung trusted him. My husband and I tried to help Ki Nam as best as we could and we even paid for all education fees, both at high school and at college. I never thought that he'd be able to do such hideous thing and maybe that's one of the main reasons I didn't believe Il Sung when he came and told me that it wasn't his fault '' She nodded her head then she looked back again at Jiyong who listening to her carefully. 

'' I didn't realize this before but Ki Nam was in love with Young Won... my daughter-in-law '' She shared and Jiyong was surprised with the new information. '' She was enrolled in another university but since her father was a businessman, she and Il Sung met quite a lot in charity events and dinners. They started going out together and after she was done with her med school, they got married... From what I learned a few years after they disappeared, Ki Nam loved her and even proposed to her but she rejected him. That must have hurt him and he thought that she refused him because he wasn't rich... That's when he started to loathe my son and began plotting to hurt him '' 

'' I'm sorry to hear this, Mrs. Park '' Jiy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter