Chapter 30

Baby Don't Cry

 

Haein’s POV
 
I’ve been busy planning what to cook for Donghae’s and Jieun’s wedding. I can’t believe Jieun had the nerves to ask me to do it out of all people.  Is this some way of her rubbing it in my face that she gets the guy and I don’t? I can’t believe I even agreed… I did it for Kyuhyun oppa since he’s been nice to me. What the hell is wrong with me? Why can’t I say no?
 
Jieun has been zilla.  She kept on demanding this and that…  and when I make it, she’s not happy with the turn out.  Why is she making my life a living hell?!  I noticed that Donghae’s not really with her whenever she’s planning the wedding… it’s mostly her just doing everything. Is he too busy to even plan his wedding?!  Everyone was getting ready to go home and go out and eat. They asked me if I wanted to go but I felt like staying back and baking.
 
It’s been a while since I baked for fun.  I asked Kyuhyun oppa if I can stay behind and I’ll close the store later.  He agreed and everyone left so it was just me in the shop.  I went to the cupboard and took out all the ingredients to make an ice cream cake.  After mixing everything, I put the batter of cake mix in the oven and waited for it to cook.  I sat on the counter and set the time for thirty minutes.
 
“Something really smells good.” I heard someone’s voice. I turned around and saw Kyuhyun oppa standing near the door.
 
“Oppa? What are you doing here? I thought you went to go eat with the others.” I told him.
 
“I was but then I remembered how you didn’t eat so I went to go buy food for the both of us.” He smiled at me and showed me the bag of food. “Let’s eat while you wait for the cake to be finished.”
 
“You didn’t have to oppa but thank you.” I smiled at him.  We were eating and talking to one another.
 
“I just realized this but I don’t know much about you Haein. You don’t talk about yourself a lot.” 
 
“Well, what do you want to know oppa?” I asked him.
 
“Hmm, do you have a boyfriend?” He asked me. Where is this coming from?
 
“No I don’t.” I told him and I saw him smiling. “What?”
 
“I have a confession.  Want to know the reason why I hired you right away that day?” He asked me. I nodded my head. “I was in awe with you. You were so pretty and the way you were smiling when you saw the baked goods made my heart stop.  There was something about you and I know that I had to get to know you better.  That’s why I decided to hire you. What I’m trying to say here Haein is if you wanted to go out on a date with me sometime.” He told me.
 
So he hired me because he was interested in me?! Even if I thought he was attractive, I can’t date my boss. It’d be too weird if things didn’t work out for us.
 
“I’m sorry Kyuhyun oppa. I can’t go on a date with you. I don’t like dating coworkers.  It’s too weird for me. I’m really sorry.” 
 
“It’s okay. I kind of expected that though.  It didn’t hurt to try right?” Oppa smiled at me. “Don’t worry, I won’t fire you.” He joked.
 
“Very funny oppa.” I told him.
 
“Well I’m going to head home now. Remember to lock up Haein.” I could tell that he was disappointed… I’m sorry oppa but you shouldn’t like a girl like me. I’m not worth it… You can’t be interested in me because I don’t believe in love anymore.  I won’t be able to love you.
 
Donghae’s POV
 
Eunhyuk and the guys called and said that they wanted to hang out so here we are at a bar.
 
“So how’s the wedding coming along Hae?” Eunhyuk asked me.
 
“It’s fine.” I told him.
 
“Fine? What did you guys book already?”
 
“I don’t really know. Jieun’s planning everything.” I told him.
 
“Why is Jieun planning everything? Shouldn’t you be helping her hyung?” Minho asked me.
 
“I’ve been busy. I help when I’m free but that’s rarely.” I told him and took my beer and drank some.  The guys were all looking at each other.  “Why are you guys looking at each other like that?”
 
“Hyung can you answer us honestly. Do you really want to marry Jieun noona?” Taemin asked me. Why are they asking me this?
 
“Of course I do. Why are you asking me this?”
 
“We have a feeling that you really don’t want to. Answer us honestly Hae.” Siwon told me. “We’ve noticed that you didn’t seem that happy at your engagement party.  The smiles that you smiled were fake.  You seemed out of it.  And now we’re hearing that you don’t even help plan your wedding.  It seems that you’re not excited with this wedding. What’s going on Hae?”
 
Should I tell the guys the truth? They wouldn’t do anything right?
 
“If I told you guys then you guys can’t let anyone else know. You guys have to swear on your life.” I told them. They nodded their head.
 
“I don’t want to marry Jieun. I don’t even love her anymore.”
 
“WHAT?!” They all shouted. “Then why are you with her?! Is there another woman?!”
 
“I’m with her because I have to and I do have another woman.” I told them.
 
“WHAT?! HAE WHY ARE YOU SUCH A PLAYER?! AND WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE WITH JIEUN?!” Eunhyuk shouted.
 
“I still love Haein. She’s the other woman.” I told them.
 
“WHAT?!” I just laughed at their reaction.
 
“I’ll tell you guys the truth.”
 
Flashback.
 
“Who do you want to be with then oppa?” She asked me. Who did I want to be with? Haein or Jieun? I don’t know. Jieun’s my first love and I never really got over her… I think.  I don’t know how I feel about Haein anymore.  Was I really using Haein as a replacement?
 
“I want to be with you Jieun.” I told her.  I think this is the right choice. I know that I want to be with Jieun.
 
“Then you have to divorce Haein if you want to be with me.” Jieun told me.
 
Wait what? I have to divorce Haein. I don’t want to. I don’t want to let Haein go.  I can’t stand not having Haein by my side. She means a lot to me. I looked at Jieun… was I able to leave Haein and go to Jieun? I don’t think I can do that… It would hurt me too much to leave Haein. But can I leave Jieun and go to Haein?  The thought of that didn’t bother me. As long as I had Haein, then I’d be fine. I guess it’s Haein who owns my heart now. Jieun was just my first love but Haein is the one who has my heart completely.  She’s the owner of my heart.
 
“I can’t do that.” I told Jieun. She looked at me with wide eyes.
 
“What do you mean oppa?! You can’t still be married to her and make me the other woman!” Jieun yelled.
 
“I don’t plan on making you the other woman.  I know it was wrong of me to sleep with you last night.  I thought I was still in love with you but I was wrong.  I was caught up with the fact that you were my first love and confused that for the feelings of being in love.  I’ve realized that the love I felt for you back then was just a mere infatuation on my part. I’m sorry Jieun.  Haein’s the one that I want to be with.  She’s the one that I want to spend the rest of my life with.  I’m in love with her and I don’t want to fall out of love with her.  She’s the owner of my heart now. I’m afraid that I can’t love anyone but her.” I told Jieun.
 
“Is this some kind of sick joke oppa?” Jieun asked me.
 
“I’m sorry. We can still be friends.” I told her.
 
“YOU TOLD ME YOU LOVE ME LAST NIGHT AND YOU MADE LOVE TO ME!”
 
“I’m sorry. It was really wrong of me.  I really am sorry Jieun but I can’t leave Haein. I hope you understand.” I told her and started walking towards the door.
 
“If you don’t leave her then I’ll make sure she’ll get hurt.” I stopped at what she said. “If you don’t recall, Lee Joon is in love with me. He’ll do anything for me and I’ll just tell him to kill Haein.” She threatened me.
 
“You wouldn’t.  You’re not that kind of girl.” I told her.
 
“Try me oppa. I’ve changed oppa. I’m not that sweet girl back in the days anymore. I always get what I want now oppa. And if you go back to Haein, then I’ll just have her killed.  Even if Joon doesn't kill her, I have a lot of other people who are willing to do it for me.” She told me.
 
“Don’t hurt her.” I warned her.
 
“Then divorce her and get back together with me.”
 
I couldn’t let Haein get hurt anymore. She said she was sick and tired of my enemies kidnapping her. I can’t stand the thought of her dying. If this was my only way to save her then I’ll do it.  I’m only doing this for you sake Lee Haein. I’m sorry… I hurt you again.
 
End of flashback.
 
“WHAT?! JIEUN THREATENED TO KILL HER IF YOU DIDN’T LEAVE HER?!” Siwon shouted.
 
“WAIT TIL I GET MY HANDS ON THAT !” Eunhyuk added.
 
“Hyung, why didn’t you tell us? We could’ve helped you protect Haein noona!” Minho told me.
 
“It’s too late now. What’s done is done. I can’t go back in the past and change it.  Haein hates me now and that’s fine.  As long as she’s still breathing then I’m okay with everything.” I told them.
 
“But you’re in love with noona not Jieun noona. It’s not fair! Stupid Jieun noona. She was so nice back then… what happened to her now?” Taemin said.
 
“Don’t tell anyone okay?” I told them. They just nodded their head.
 
“Just tell Haein the truth Hae. Just let her know.” Siwon told me.
 
“There’s no point. It’s not going to do anything. Just let it go.” I told him. They all looked at me with sad eyes.
 
“Stupid . I hate her.” Eunhyuk said.
 
“I’m going to head home now guy. I’m tired. I’ll see you guys soon.” I told them and got up from my seat and headed towards my car.  I was driving home and saw a very familiar figure walking… is that Haein? I stopped in front of her and rolled down my windows.
 
“Get in the car.” I told her. She just stared at me for a second and walked off. I got off of my car and ran towards her. “I’ll take you home. It’s dangerous for a girl to walk home by herself.”
 
“It’s fine. I can manage.” She said and walked away. I grabbed her arm again.
 
“Please I insist. Just let me take you home.” She just ignored me and yanked her arm away from my gasp and started walking. This time I ran to her and picked her up and put her over my shoulders.
 
‘WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! I TOLD YOU I CAN MANAGE! PUT ME DOWN! I’M GOING TO SCREAM IF YOU DON’T PUT ME DOWN!!” She started yelling while she was kicking her legs.
 
“I already told you but you didn’t listen.” I told her.  I put her in the car and locked the doors to make sure she didn’t leave. “Which way is your house?”
 
She didn’t answer me and just looked the other way.  She was just staring outside.
 
“Fine I guess you’ll be spending the night with me then since I don’t know where you live.” I told her.
 
“FINE IT’S THAT WAY. GOD WHY ARE YOU SO ANNOYING?!” She snapped. I just chuckled and drove.  “What’s so funny?”
 
“Nothing. You just have a temper problem now.” I told her. She didn’t’ say anything and ignored me.  We finally arrived at her house and she left the car quickly. “Wait.” I called out to her. “Can’t we be friends?”
 
Even if I can’t be with her… I still wanted her in my life.
 
“You’re an you know that. You can’t expect everything to be fine after two years. I don’t want to be friends with you. I don’t want you in my life so from now on please leave me alone.” She told me and walked away.
 
I’ll make you my friend again Lee Haein. Just watch and see.
 
Haein’s POV
 
Who does he think he is?! He can’t just come back and waltz into my life again! That ! AHHH. Why can’t I catch a break?!
 
=Two Weeks Later=
 
I’ve been so busy with preparations for Donghae’s wedding.  Jieun is such a …. Why did I even agree to work in the first place?! Sigh. I’m doing this for Kyuhyun oppa….I just need to keep on telling myself that. Donghae has been bothering me a lot.  He’s been coming by a lot after work… I don’t get it… shouldn’t he be spending time with his fiancé?  He needs to leave me alone!  I had a day off today so I decided to spend the day with Bom and Minji. I haven’t hung out with them in a while.  We were at my apartment just catching up with one another.
 
“So I heard Donghae oppa and Jieun-ssi are getting married.  Taemin oppa asked me to go the engagement party but I refused to go. How do you feel about their engagement?” Minji asked me.
 
“Yeah! Hyukjae oppa asked me to go too. I would never ever go to that ’s wedding.” Bom added.
 
“I’m okay guys. Donghae and I are over. It’s been two years now. She’s still your cousin Bom. I’m fine with it. Want to know something? I’m the head caterer for their wedding. Jieun-ssi asked me to do it.” I told them.
 
“WHAT?!” They both screamed.
 
“ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND LEE HAEIN?! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU AGREE TO WORK FOR HER?!” Bom yelled at me.
 
“Unnie! What’s wrong with you?! Why would you do that?!” Minji added in.
 
“I’m doing it for my boss. He’s a good friend of theirs and I didn’t want to let him down. I’m okay guys. Your cousin gives me a hard time sometimes but other than that it’s fine. I get to bake too so it’s all good.” I assured them.
 
“Does that mean you see Donghae oppa too?” Minji asked me.
 
“Ani. He never helps her with the wedding preparations.” I told them.
 
“Wow. It’s his own wedding. Why isn’t he even planning it? Don’t tell me he’s cheating on her with another woman.” Bom said.
 
“So you don’t see Donghae oppa at all?” Minji asked again.
 
“I do see him a lot. These past two weeks he’s been bothering me.  He told me that he wants us to be friends again.  Ever since that incident, he’s been coming to the shop and been offering to take me home.”
 
“What’d you say?” Bom asked me.
 
“I didn’t say anything and just walked off.” I told her. “And last night, I couldn’t take it anymore so I blew up on him.  I told him that I hated him and I don’t even want to see his face.  Seeing him makes me sick and I hope that he leaves me alone from now on.”
 
“That’s harsh unnie.” Minji commented.
 
“Whatever. He hurt Haein first so she can be as harsh as she wanted to be.” Bom defended me.
 
“What was his reaction unnie?”
 
“I don’t know. I just left.” I told her.
 
“I see unnie.” Minji said.
 
“No more talk about this. Let’s watch movies and pig out! I brought lots of corns!!!!” Bom told us.
 
“Okay. Let’s start our girls’ night now!” Minji smiled.
 
Donghae’s POV
 
These past two weeks I’ve been trying to get Haein to be friends with me again.  I was trying to break down the walls and have her be my friend again.  I don’t talk to Jieun as much anymore… she’s been too busy with planning the wedding which was a good thing… I would be able to break Haein’s wall down.  I told the guys that I wanted to be friends with Haein again but they told me that wasn’t a good idea.  I’ve been going to Haein’s shop every night to offer her a ride home.  Every night would be the same… she would ignore me and walk away.  
 
But last night was different.  She told me that she hated me and didn’t want to see me… she told me that I made her sick and for me to leave her alone from now on.  Do you really mean what you said Haein? Do I really make you sick?  Maybe I should really give up on her now? I shouldn’t hold onto her anymore.  I was sitting in the bar drinking with Eunhyuk.
 
“Hae, what happened? Why do you look so beat up?” He asked me.
 
“She doesn’t even want to be my friend Hyuk.  She told me that I make her sick and I shouldn’t show my face in front of her anymore.”
 
“We already told you that being her friend isn’t a good idea.  You hurt her Hae… you can’t just expect her to be friends with you again.” He told me.
 
“I know that but I just wish we could be friends.  I don’t care what kind of relationship I have with her as long as she stays by my side.” I confessed.
 
“Why can’t you just tell her the truth?” He asked.
 
“I already told you… there’s no point in telling her the truth now. I doubt she’ll even believe me. It hurts so much that she feels this way Hyuk. I feel that I can’t breath.”
 
“Give it some time then Hae. She’ll eventually want to be friends with you again. But are you sure you just want to be friends with her? Can you live a life with someone you don’t even love while the person you love is only your friend?” Hyuk asked me.
 
He had a point.  Can I really live for the rest of my life with Jieun when I really love Haein?  Can I just see Haein as a friend and nothing more?  The answer is simple.  I can’t.  
 
“I-I can’t.  I don’t want to marry Jieun. I want to be with Haein.” I told him.
 
“Go get her then Hae. Prove to her that you love her. We’ll help you with everything else then.” Hyuk told me.
 
“Thanks Hyuk.” I told him and stood up from my seat.
 
“Where are you going?” He asked me.
 
“I’m going to get her back.” I told him and ran out the door.
 
Haein, I’m going to get you back whether you like it or not. I’ll prove my love to you… just wait and see.