Chapter 28

Baby Don't Cry

 

Haein’s POV
 
I can’t believe Donghae’s here.  It’s been two years since I’ve last seen him. I would be lying if I said that I haven’t thought about him these past two years.  What is he even doing here?  He still looks handsome as ever though.  He was dressed in a business attire.  I guess he’s working for his dad’s company now.  Bommie told me how all the guys left the gang world.  I sat down next to him… this was going to be an interesting dinner.
 
“When’d you get back?” Eunhyuk oppa asked me.
 
“Yesterday.”
 
“Are you staying or just visiting?” He asked me again.
 
“I’m staying. I finished school so I’m back now.” I smiled at him.
 
“Where are you living at now?”
 
“I’m staying at Bommie’s old apartment.”
 
“Ah. I see. So what are your plans now?” He asked.
 
“I’m not too sure. I’m just going to look for a job and I’ll start from there.”
 
“Ah. I see. So how are you? I haven’t seen you in the longest time. What have you’ve been up to?” Eunhyuk oppa asked me all excitedly.
 
“De. It’s been a while. I’ve been good. Just busy with school. How about you oppa? You look nice today! No more blonde hair huh?”
 
“I got rid of it long ago. I took over my family’s company and I’ve been working there ever since. I’ve been good. I’m glad you’re back Haein. We all missed you. We as in Siwon, Minho, and Taemin.” He told me.
 
“I missed you guys too!” I told him. “How are the other guys doing?”
 
“Well Siwon took over his dad’s company too so he’s working. Minho and Taemin are in school now working on their business degree.”
 
“That’s good. I’m glad you guys are doing so well. It makes me happy.” I smiled. I didn’t want to look over at Donghae.  Looking at him makes me think of the past… I didn’t want to be reminded of the pain he made me feel…. The things he put me through.  To an extent, he made me sick. I plan on ignoring him… I already cut him out of my life and I have no intentions of letting him back in.
 
The rest of the dinner went by fine.  It was just the three of us talking while Donghae sat there quietly.  Occasionally he would join in on the convo but then he’s quiet again.  We were finally done and I paid for the dinner.
 
“Are you sure Haein? You just finished school and the bill is expensive.” Eunhyuk oppa told me.
 
“I’m sure. It’s been a while since I last saw you guys so I wanted to treat.” I smiled at him.
 
“How about we go get some sweets now? It’ll be my treat?”  Bommie offered.
 
“As tempting as that sounds, I’m tired Bommie. I had a long day and I just want to go home and rest.” I told her.
 
“Oppa, I think it’s going to rain tomorrow.” Bommie told Eunhyuk oppa.
 
“Why?”
 
“Haeinnie turned down desserts! She never does no matter what the situation is!” Eunhyuk oppa and I both laughed at Bommie.
 
“Babe. You’re cute. She’s tired so just let her go home and rest.” He smiled at Bommie. “Hae, you still up for desserts?”
 
“I can’t. I have to go pick up Jieun. I’ll see you guys later. Thanks for dinner.” He told me before walking off. I guess he’s still with her. I shouldn’t care anymore. 
 
“I’m off now guys. I’ll see you later.” 
 
“Wait! Do you need a ride?” Bommie asked me.
 
“Ani. I’m going to take the bus. You guys go ahead first.”
 
“We’ll drop you off at the bus stop then. At least let us do that.” Eunhyuk oppa told me.
 
“Okay. Thanks a lot.”
 
After they dropped me off at the bus stop, I just sat on the bench waiting for the bus to arrive. I can’t believe I saw him my first full day back.  I planned on avoiding him at all cost but fate wasn’t on my side.  Why am I even thinking about him? I should be thinking of other things like where should I apply for a job or what am I going to do with my life now? Where’s the freaking bus?! It’s been twenty minutes already!  I saw a car driving up to me and it stopped right in front of me.  I couldn’t make out who was in the car since the windows were tinted.  The driver rolled down the window.
 
“It is you Lee Haein.”
 
Donghae’s POV
 
The dinner was really awkward. I could tell that Haein didn’t want me there… she didn’t even acknowledge me.  Haein was still the same Haein I knew two years ago.  Nothing’s really changed about her except the fact that she’s gotten prettier.  They wanted to go out for desserts but I think it’d be awkward if I went so I excused myself. I told them I had to go pick up Jieun when I really didn’t need to.  Why am I still thinking of Haein? I’m with Jieun now and I shouldn’t be thinking of any other girl especially if it was Haein.  My dad wanted me to marry soon so I decided to propose to Jieun soon.
 
I was driving around Seoul since I didn’t want to go home yet.  There was work at home and I didn’t want to work yet.  I decided to drive to the Han River and clear my head.  No matter how hard I tried telling myself that I have Jieun, I still think about Haein. Why did I think of her so much? Is it because I feel guilty of what I did to her? I didn’t mean to hurt you Haein. I arrived at the Han River and sat at the hood of my car while drinking a can of beer.  
 
I heard two voices laughing and I turned around to see who was here also.  To my surprise I saw Haein and Lee Joon sitting on the benches laughing and joking around with each other.  They’re friends now?! After what Joon did to her she’s hanging out with him now!? Why do they look so close? Why am I getting angry? It’s Haein’s life and I have nothing to do with her life.  I got off my car and got inside and drove off. I didn’t want them to see me.  Are they together now? Haein was smiling a real smile at Joon. Does this mean she’s in love with him now?
 
Haein’s POV
 
“It is you Lee Haein.” I saw Lee Joon smiling at me.
 
“Joonie!” I smiled back at him. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I was driving and I thought I saw someone that looked like you so I decided to drop by to see if it was really you and it is!” He told me. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I’m waiting for the bus to come. It’s been twenty minutes already and it’s still not here.” I told him.
 
“I’ll give you a ride. Come on in.” He offered.
 
“It’s okay. It’ll be a hassle.” I told him.
 
“It won’t. Come in. Let’s catch up.” He smiled.
 
“De. Thank you.” I walked to his car and got in. 
 
“So where to?” He asked.
 
“My place. Actually do you want to go somewhere and catch up? It’s been a while. Well if you’re not busy.” I told him.
 
“Let’s go to the Han River then.”
 
“Okay. Let’s go.”
 
We were sitting on the bench by the Han River.
 
“How have you’ve been?” Joon asked me.
 
“I’ve been good. What about you? What have you’ve been up to?” I asked him back.
 
“I’m good too. I got tired of being in a gang so I quit.  I now work for my dad since he’s sick.  I didn’t want to worry my parents anymore.” He told me.
 
“Why is everyone working for their family now?” I laughed.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“The Super Junior gang broke up and they all work for their parents.” I told him.
 
“Oh yeah. I heard about that. Yeah, they’re really successful now. It’s been two years and who knew that this was going to be our future.”
 
“Yeah. Who knew?” I told him.
 
“Do you still love him?”
 
“Ani. I stopped loving him since the day I left for Paris. I want nothing to do with him now.” 
 
“Have you’ve seen him yet?” 
 
“De. I saw him today. It was on accident though.  I felt a resentment towards him.  I felt repulsed seeing his face.” I told Joon.
 
“I see. You know… you’ve gotten really pretty.  I remember when you dressed up like a boy. I don’t know why you do that… you’re a pretty girl yet you dressed in boy’s clothes.” He teased me. “I thought you were some kind of transgender.”
 
“I’M NOT A MAN! I’M A WOMAN!” I yelled at him while smacking his arm. We both laughed.
 
“It’s nice to have you back. Welcome back Lee Haein.” He smiled at me.
 
“Thank you. It’s good to be back. So what happen to that girl you liked two years ago? Are you guys together now?"
 
"We're actually on a break right now."
 
"I'm sorry to here that. I hope you guys work things out." I smiled at him.
 
"Thanks. Let's get you back home now."
 
It’s been two weeks since I moved back to Korea.  I finally found a job! I work at a catering place… I get to cook food and make cakes and other pastries!  The job paid very well and my coworkers were really nice people.  Even my boss was nice!  He was cute too but I shouldn’t get involved with my boss because that’s wrong.  My coworkers and I were planning for an event that we had to cater.  Apparently it’s an engagement party of my boss’s hyung so he wanted us to make everything perfect.
 
“Haein, what color did the bride want again for her cake again?” Ri In, my coworker, asked.
 
“I don’t know really. Kyuhyun-ssi said she wanted something along the line of pink or purple.” I told her. Kyuhyun-ssi was my boss. Well, our boss.
 
“Okay. I’ll go get the cake ready and can you go get the cupcakes ready?” Ri In asked me.
 
“De. I’ll go get the cupcakes ready.”  
 
Apparently the bride wanted to do mini cheesecake cupcakes.  I went to my side of the kitchen and started getting the cheesecake cupcakes ready.  She wanted half of it to be oreo cheesecake cupcakes and it would be decorated as a tux while the other cheesecake would be strawberry.  The outer part would look like a pink dress with a pearl in the middle.  I thought the idea was cute and I was excited to decorate the cupcakes…. But I had to make over 300 of them since there were going to be many guests.  I wonder who they are.  They must be really rich. After two hours, I finished doing the cupcakes and put them in the box so they can be delivered.
 
“Haein, can you go check if all the other food are ready to go.” Kyuhyun-ssi told me.
 
“De. I’ll go right now.” 
 
I went inside the other kitchen to see if everyone else was done with the appetizer and the main course meals.
 
“Seulgi unnie, are the appetizers done and are the main courses ready to be packed and delivered?” I asked Seulgi unnie. She was the head chef and she was really nice.
 
“Almost done Haein. I’ll send them out once I’m done.” She told me.
 
“She’s almost done Kyuhyun-ssi.” I told my boss.
 
“Okay. Just go help Ri In with the cake. And don’t call me Kyuhyun-ssi. You make me sound old… call me Kyuhyun oppa.” He told me.
 
“De oppa.” I went over to Ri In and helped her finish the cake.  She just needed to frost it. I helped her with frosting it and after we were done, we put it in a box and wheeled it to the van.  We took the cupcakes and all the other food and loaded it in the van.
 
“Ri In and Haein, I want you guys to go with me and set up.  Can you guys serve it too?” Kyuhyun oppa asked us.
 
“De. We’ll do it. Let’s go Haein.” Ri In answered.
 
“Okay. Thanks. Wait here. I need to go change and we’ll all head there together.” Oppa told us.  We were waiting for oppa to come back. He finally came back and was dressed in a tux.  He looked really handsome in his tux.
 
“Let’s go shall we.”
 
We got in the van while oppa drove us to the venue.  The place was huge!  It was decorated with lights all over the room while each table had a vase of pink and white flowers.  Clear rocks circled around the vase.  The chairs had peach pink seat covers with bows on them.  The place was perfect. It was so beautiful…. Whoever the bride is, she must be really happy.  This was the perfect engagement party. I know they’re not marrying yet but still… if I had an engagement party like this I would be so happy.  The groom must really love his bride.
 
“Yah Haein. I know the place is pretty but can you help me here!” Ri In pouted at me.
 
“De. I’m sorry. Here let me get that for you!” I ran over to her and took the boxes from her and started setting up the table.  Once we placed all the food and desserts on the table, we just looked around the room in awe.
 
“Girls, the guests are coming so just stand in the corner of the room if you like. I’ll introduce hyung and his fiancé to you later.” Kyuhyun told us. 
 
“De.” Ri In told him. Kyuhyun walked off and Ri In turned to me. “This place is so pretty! I wish I was able to rent a place like this! I need to find a guy first!”
 
Guests started coming and there were so many of them.  I then saw Minho, Taemin, Eunhyuk oppa, and Siwon oppa.  What are they doing here? They didn’t see me though.  I guess they all know this person.  I wonder who it is.  I just shrugged it off.  I didn’t pay attention to who else was coming anymore.  I just stared at the table full of food. I saw a box of cupcakes left and decided to take them out of the box and place them on the plates.  I walked over to the table and took the box and started placing them one by one on the plate. The presenter finally came on and he started to speak.
 
“Please welcome the newly engaged couple: Lee Donghae and Jung Jieun. Congrats you two.” He said and everyone was applauding.  
 
I dropped the cupcake on the floor. Did he just say Donghae and Jieun?  So this is their engagement party?  I felt my hands shaking… what is wrong with me? Why am I being like this?  I looked up and saw him in a tux while Jieun was in a pink strapless dress.  They were smiling and they really looked happy.  I felt someone standing next to me.
 
“Haein, are you okay?” Ri In asked me. “You’re hands are shaking! You even dropped a cupcake! Are you okay?” 
 
“De. I’m fine. Can you clean this up for me? I’m going to use the bathroom. I’ll be back.” I told her and ran off. 
 
I ran into the bathroom and locked myself in a stall.  Why is fate being so cruel to me? Why out of all people do I have to cater for him?  Especially when it’s his engagement party.  I don’t even know why I’m crying… why do you get to be happy while I’m hurting.  It’s not fair… you were the one who did wrong yet you’re getting your happy end.  When will I get mine?