Chapter 29

Baby Don't Cry

 

Donghae’s POV
 
I finally proposed to Jieun and she said yes. I kind of expected that answer already. Umma told me how Jieun’s umma hinted that Jieun wanted to marry soon.  We were at our engagement party and everyone was complimenting the food.  I was glad that everyone loved the food.  I had to thank Kyuhyun for it.  
 
“Congrats hyung.” Taemin came over and told me.
 
“Thanks Taemin. Where’s Minji?” I asked him.
 
“Um, she had work so she couldn’t come.” He told me. I can tell that he’s lying.
 
“Hae. Congrats. I hope you have a great life with Jieun” Eunhyuk told me.
 
“Thanks. Where’s Bom?” 
 
“She’s busy so she couldn’t make it.” He told me. I don’t get why Bom didn’t go… Jieun’s her own cousin.
 
“I see. Thanks for coming guys.” I thanked the other guys.
 
“Hyung! Congrats on getting engaged! I always knew that you and Jieun noona were going to get married.” Kyuhyun came out of nowhere.
 
“Thanks. And thanks for catering for my engagement party! The food’s great especially the cupcakes. I ate like 4 already.” I told him.
 
“No problem. It’s all my workers. Two of them are here and one of them made the cupcakes! You should thank her.” He told me. 
 
“Alright. Where are they?” I asked him. He led me towards the table and I just saw one girl.
 
“This is Ri In. She made the cake hyung.” He told me. “I don’t know where the other one is. Where is she?”
 
“She said she had to use the bathroom.” Ri In told him. 
 
“Thanks for making the cake Ri In-ssi. It was really good.” I thanked her.
 
“No problem. Boss said he wanted it to be perfect or else he’ll kill all of us. He was trying to impress you.” I just laughed at what she said.
 
“Oh there you are. Hyung this is my other worker. She’s the one who made the cupcakes.” Kyuhyun told me and I turned around and saw Haein. What was she doing here? Wait… she catered my engagement party?! “Hyung this is Lee Haein. She’s one of my best workers! Haein, this is my hyung from high school.”
 
“It’s nice to meet you.” She told me while bowing. She’s just going to pretend to not know me? I felt a sting in my heart.
 
“De. It’s nice to meet you too.” Two can play the game.
 
“Haein, are you feeling better?” I heard Ri In asking her.
 
“What’s wrong with her?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
“Her hands were shaking and her face went pale.” Ri In explained.
 
“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked her. He seemed really worried about her. Is he interested in her?
 
“De. I’m fine. I’m just tired. Oppa, do you think I can go now? Or do you need me to clean up?”  Before he could answer, Jieun came.
 
“Oppa! Did you try the cupcakes?! They’re so good!” Jieun came over and held my hand. “Oh Kyuhyun ah! The cupcakes are great!”
 
“Thanks noona but it’s all Haein’s work.” He told Jieun. Jieun looked over and she was shocked that Haein was in front of her. I wonder how she’s going to act.
 
“Omo. Lee Haein? Is that really you?” Jieun asked her.
 
“You know her?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
“De. She’s my cousin’s best friend.” She smiled. “Your cupcakes are really great! Everyone loves them.” I could tell that Haein was uncomfortable.
 
“Thank you. Kyuhyun oppa, so can I?” She asked him again.
 
“Yeah. Go ahead. I’ll clean up the rest. Just go home and rest.”
 
“De. Thanks oppa. I’ll see you tomorrow Ri In. Bye. Congrats on your engagement.” She told us.
 
“Bye Haein. You should come to our wedding.” Jieun told her.  I looked over at Jieun and I saw a small smirk.  Before I could say anything, Haein already took off.  I wonder what’s wrong with her?  Is she really sick and if she drank any medicine yet? Wait why am I even worrying for her? I went back to my engagement party and had fun with everyone else.
 
Haein’s POV
 
I didn’t feel like staying so I asked Kyuhyn oppa if I could go home early.  I didn’t want to run in Jieun… two in one night would kill me.  I spoke too soon.  She pretended to be all nice to me and at the end she even smirked at me! I didn’t even do anything to her! I gave her Donghae back so she shouldn’t be such a !
 
“Haein ah!” I heard someone shouting my name and I turned around and saw Kyuhyun oppa running after me.
 
“What’s wrong oppa?” I asked him.
 
“I’ll give you a ride home. I just realized that we all came together.”
 
“It’s fine oppa. I can take the bus. Just go back in… it’s your friend’s engagement party.” I told him.
 
“Hyung will be fine without me. Let’s go.” He smiled at me and grabbed my hand and pulled me to the car.
 
The drive to my house was quiet.  I didn’t know what to say to him.  I can’t believe he knows Donghae and Jieun… they seem close with each other.
 
“Are you feeling better? Should we stop by and get you some meds?” He asked me.
 
“I’m fine. I just need some sleep then I’ll be fine.” I smiled weakly at him.
 
“It’s a small world that you know Jieun noona.” Why does he have to bring her up?
 
“I don’t really know her. I just know her from my best friend.” I told him.
 
“Ah I see. So what do you think of them?” He asked me. You’re killing me here Kyuhyun oppa.
 
“They’re cute.” I told him.
 
“Yeah they are.  They’re soul mates. Everyone back then knew they were going to end up marrying each other.  I can’t really see them with anyone else. I’m glad that they’re marrying each other. They’re the perfect couple. Donghae hyung really loves her and he’ll do anything for her.” Kyuhyun stated.
 
I didn’t want to hear this anymore… I could care less about them being soul mates. I don’t give a damn.  Why are you being so cruel to me fate? Why can’t you just let me live in peace? Why add drama in my life when I don’t need it?
 
“I see.”
 
“Are you okay? You’re not talking much.”
 
“I’m just tired. Can you just drop me off here? I remember I have to go do something.” I told him. 
 
“Okay.” 
 
I got off the car and said bye to him and left.  I couldn’t stand being in the car with him if he was going to talk about them.  It’s like everywhere I go I would have to hear about them… it’s like the world revolved around them. Sigh. I walked home and went straight to bed.  I just wanted to sleep and escape reality.
 
Donghae’s POV
 
It’s been a few days since our engagement party… Jieun and I were in my office trying to plan the wedding out. I don’t know why but I didn’t feel like planning the wedding right now… I’m not excited to plan it. Why am I not even excited? It’s my own wedding. Something’s wrong with me.
 
“Oppa. Why don’t we have Kyuhyun cater our wedding too? Everybody loved the food and I want Haein and that other girl to be in charge of everything.” Jieun told me.  Why does she want Haein to be part of this wedding?
 
“Why?” I asked her.
 
“I already said it. The food’s good and everybody loved it so why not?” She looked at me.
 
“We can ask Kyuhyun to cater but why do you want Haein to be in charge? You have other people you can hire but why Haein?” I asked her curiously.
 
“Why can’t I? Just because you guys had a past doesn’t mean I can’t hire her.  Her cakes were delicious. Don’t tell me you’re not over her yet?” She told me.
 
“What are you talking about? I’m over her. I chose you didn’t I? And I’m not thinking about myself. I’m thinking for her too. It’d be awkward for her and it’s not fair for her.” I told Jieun.
 
“Who cares about her? She has to act professional so there’s no need to worry about her. You said I can plan this wedding and this is what I want.” She told me. I don’t know why but she’s pissing me off right now.
 
“Whatever then. Can you leave? I don’t feel like planning anymore and I want to get back to work.” I told her. She just glared at me and walked off.  
 
“You better keep your words Lee Donghae or else.” She warned me.
 
I just stayed in my office doing work for the next two hours. I don’t know why but no matter how much I drown myself in work, I still think about Haein.  Why can’t I just forget her?  It’s all Jieun’s fault.  I can’t help but feel pissed… why is Jieun even doing this?  Why is she being so unreasonable and selfish? I already did what she wanted me to do so shouldn’t she keep her end of the bargain? I felt my phone vibrating.  Kyuhyun was calling.
 
“Hyung?”
 
“Oh Kyuhyun. What’s wrong?”
 
“Jieun came to visit my shop a while ago and told me the plans. She wanted us to cater your wedding and she wanted Haein to be in charge of everything.” He told me. I don’t get why Jieun is in such a hurry!
 
“I see. Did Haein agree?” I asked him.
 
“De. She did. So Jieun sent Haein around to do some errands and I was suppose to pick Haein up fifteen minutes ago but I’m busy. Do you think you can pick her up hyung? Plus, it was your fiancé that put Haein in this mess. Please hyung.”
 
“Fine. Just text me the address and I’m heading there right now.” I told him. Why is Jieun bossing Haein around already? What’s Jieun’s intentions?
 
“Thanks a lot hyung!”  
 
I grabbed my coat and headed for my car.  I entered the address on the GPS and headed towards my destination.  I finally arrived but I don’t see Haein anywhere. Where is she?  I got off my car and walked around to see if I can see her.  She was standing in front of the store with bags in her hands.  She looked like she was having a hard time holding the bags.  I ran up to her and grabbed the bags from her hands.
 
“Thank you.” She started. “I thought I was going-” She stopped once she realized it was me.  She tried to grab the bags back but I didn’t let her.
 
“Let’s go.” I told her. I started walking and she didn’t walk… she just stood there.
 
“I’m waiting for Kyuhyun oppa. Can you please give me my bags back?” She told me. That’s the longest sentence she’s ever said to me ever since she came back.
 
“Kyuhyun couldn’t make it so he asked me to pick you up.” I told her.
 
“Well, you don’t have to. If I knew I would’ve gotten a cab. I can go home on my own now. You can leave.” She told me and grabbed the bags from my hands and walked away.  I ran up to her and grabbed the bags with one of my hand and grabbed her hand and pulled her towards my car. “What are you doing?”
 
“Kyuhyun will kill me if I didn’t take you home.” I told her. She yanked her hand away from my grasp.
 
“It’s fine. I’ll tell Kyuhyun that you did drop me off.”
 
“Ani. Let’s go.” I put the bags in my car and closed the trunk. “If you want your stuff back then you have to let me take you home.” She didn’t say anything and just stared at me. I knew she was mad.
 
“Fine.” She rolled her eyes and got in my car.  I couldn’t help but smile.
 
“So where do you live?” I asked her.
 
“Just drop me off at the store. I’ll go home from there.” She told me.
 
“Ani. I’ll just drop you home.”
 
“I still need to do some things at the shop so just drop me off there please.” She told me without even looking at me.
 
“Alright.” We finally arrived at the store and she thanked me and left.  She didn’t even look at me and just walked off quickly.  Do you really hate me that much Haein?