Chapter 63

What If

 

JiYoo's POV
 
I was walking around the mall alone. It was the holidays, yeah, but with so much happening in the past weeks, it doesn't even feel like a break from school. YooMin was returning from her Japan trip in a couple of days and she and SeonHee still hasn't patched back. I'm tired of being caught in the middle so I haven’t been in contact much with either of them. SiWon, has been rather distant ever since his mother made a surprise visit to his home while I was around. I've asked him countless times what was bothering him but he always shrugs it up, saying that it was work. We almost even argued over that issue because he refused to speak. DongHae is fighting his own issues with YooMin while EunHyuk is having trouble with SeonHee. 
 
What has happened to all of us? We were all so happy and carefree just weeks ago, why the change now?
 
I sighed deeply as I passed by shop after shop, unaware of the shoppers around me.
 
Suddenly a figure stepped out of a shop and I was unable to step back, causing me to bump into the said person.
 
"Sorry." I continued looking down and hastened my pace. But before I could step away, a hand shot out and pulled on my right hand.
 
I looked up, surprised at the act and was about to tell the stranger off when I saw LeeTeuk smiling at me.
 
"Hey Stranger." 
 
Too surprised to even speak, I nodded and attempted to smile at him.
 
"What's wrong? You look down." he asked in concern, letting go of my hand.
 
"You have time for coffee?" I asked
 
He led me to StarBucks and offered to get my order for me.
 
As I watched up walk to the queue, a suddenly thought bugged me.
 
LeeTeuk. I've seen him with YooMin having lunch together more often during the last week of school. I never thought of it much when I saw them as the other problems were more pressing. But as I look at him now, he seemed to be the only one who was happy in our little clique. Not that I didn't want him to be happy but I had a suspicion that he had feelings for YooMin. Ever since I caught him berating himself at the poolside after YooMin's 18th birthday, I had a nagging suspicion that "her" he was referring to was YooMin. During that period, YooMin was already caught in between SungMin and DongHae. He must have felt that he couldn't make his move, with 2 guys already clamorous for her attention. But what about now? Just because YooMin is in a vulnerable state with her friendship issues, he decided to tell her? What about DongHae? He's his best friend.
 
Anger bubbled forth within me as I thought of the situation.
 
-What is wrong with you? You don't even know if what you're thinking is true. You're just jumping to conclusions. YooMin's your best friend. You should give her some credit, if not LeeTeuk. You don't even know for real that he likes her.-
 
My brain began reprimanding me and I swallowed, guilt overcoming me as reflected on my thoughts a while ago.
 
"Here's your tea." 
 
I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't realize LeeTeuk returned with our drinks. He put them on the table and took the seat opposite me. 
 
"So, what's bothering you?"
 
-You.-
 
I sighed, giving myself a mental facepalm as I shook my head.
 
"Everything. You've seen how is it. Our group's in a mess. YooMin and SeonHee. Me and SeonHee. EunHyuk and SeonHee. Me and Si-."
 
I couldn't go own. My voice cracked at the mere utterance of SiWon's name and I took a deep breath, forcing the tears that threatened to fall to return.
 
I didn't realize that LeeTeuk had moved from his seat to sit beside me on the couch. He placed a comforting arm around me and shushed me.
 
"It's gonna be okay. Time will solve all this."
 
I bit my lip and sighed, pulled myself away from him and took a sip of my tea.
 
"Thanks."
 
We remained silent for a while and I contemplated on changing the topic, maybe getting him to admit that he liked YooMin could cheer me up.
 
"So how are things with you and the mystery girl?"
 
He almost choked on his frap as his eyes widened.
 
"What mystery girl?" he spluttered.
 
"Oh I don't know," I said as innocently as I could, "A little bird told me that there's a girl that you like but you're unable to confess to her yet. So have you done it?"
 
He stared at me like a deer in headlights before he finally understood me.
 
"Oh at the pool." 
 
I nodded triumphantly. 
 
"So. Is she anyone we know?" 
 
I noticed that he fidgeted slightly in his seat and was turning red under my gaze.
 
"So it's someone we know." I continued. "Is she part of our clique?"
 
I continued watching him, amused as he continued blushing and refusing to say anything.
 
"You do know silence means consent, right? So she's part of the clique? There's only 3 girls in our clique you know."
 
He let out a sigh and stood up, and walked back to his original seat, "Can we not discuss this?"
 
His voice was cold and harsh, and it took me by surprise.
 
"Okay, fine. Don't have to be snarky I was just concerned and was hoping that of we could discuss it, we can avoid anymore issues. Our circle of friends is messed up enough."
 
He glanced up and shot me a perplexed look.
 
"Come on, everyone is having problems. I don't think YooMin and DongHae need any more drama. And you're DongHae's friend, how could you do this to him?"
 
I watched as LeeTeuk took in my outburst, his expression changing from shock to anger.
 
"What?"
 
I refused to falter under his glare and gave him a challenging look.
 
"You like YooMin. I've seen you two lunching together often and the look in your eyes when you guys are together. You may have hidden it from DongHae and YooMin, but not from me. So, before things go haywire, you need to stop."
 
He looked at me and I saw him beginning to shake, probably from shock.
 
"So even if I like YooMin, what is it to you?" He asked, his tone was icily cold.
 
"I thought you had enough common sense to know to not do this. I thought our friends meant more to you."
 
"I don't see why we have to discuss this. I'm sorry but I've got to go." he began arranging his outfit and began pushing in his chair as he stood up.
 
"Why are you avoiding this?" I asked, equally angry that he was running away from the topic.
 
"I'm not. And YooMin and I are just friends. The feeling between us is mutual. And I'm not in love with SeonHee."
 
I looked up at him and gasped.
 
"You're the smart one. You do the math."
 
With that he left, leaving me in total utter shock.
 
-It's not YooMin, it's not SeonHee.-