Chapter 18

What If

Yoomin's POV

It has been a week since the school started. It has almost been 6 days since the last time Donghae had spoken to me. Well he did speak to me, it's just that it's like as if he don't. Because his eyes hardly ever set on me anymore.

We spent two hours in class in silence except for the occasional grunts and hellos. At other times, during Legal Comm class, Siwon would suggest for us to do pairwork, giving us the chance to at least talk. Or more like exchange answers for the task at hand. At many occasions I had strong urges to apologize or bring up what I had said to him last tuesday morning.

But my pride always took over.

Jiyoo and Seonhee had taken it upon themselves to constantly reprimand me over my actions. Never taking my side.

Now, I stand infront of the school gate at 8.40am. It's the Monday morning.

Here goes nothing.

Legal Comm Class:

Yoomin's POV

I plopped down on my seat at the back of the classroom and took out my Legal Comm books and started reading. We had a Legal Comm test in 15 minutes.

"Hey."

I looked up to see a smiling Donghae. He sat down beside me, and took his books out as well to start revising for the test. Awkward moment, I thought.

 

I willed myself to tear my gaze from him and instead told myself to concentrate on my book.

"You want to test one another?"

I looked up at him. He was smiling so hugely and I of course, after a week of not being able to get him to smile at me, let alone talk to me without having to do it out of compulsion, agreed.

15 minutes later, as students slowly sifted in, we are laughing aloud. I told him about Jiyoo and Siwon's Tuesday escapade. It was almost like as if that tuesday morning did not happen. I felt a heavy load in my heart get lifted up.

 

It's good to have you back Donghae, I thought to myself, smiling inwardly. I'm sorry by the way.

Mr Siwon then came into the room, followed by a blushing Jiyoo. I pointed this out to Donghae who raised an eyebrow at Jiyoo as she approached us.

 

"So Mr Siwon fetches you from home too?" Donghae teased.

Jiyoo just gaped at Donghae, shocked that he finally spoke and with his question. Donghae shrugged and turned his attention to Mr Siwon who started explaining something about some legal stuff.

Jiyoo stared at me, mouthing 'You told him?' and smacked me hard on my right arm. I yelped.

Donghae looked at me and smiled.

It's really good to have you back Donghae, I thought again.

Donghae's POV

Yoomin, you don't know how it hurts to have to pretend when I'm around you, I thought to myself, wishing I had that much of a courage to tell her.

I tried to forget you, but I can't. Maybe I need more than a week to. Maybe all I need is to have someone else.

I smiled at her when she yelped having been smacked by Jiyoo who sauntered in after Mr Siwon.

Why does it have to be this way?

At the cafeteria:

Yoomin's POV

"Donghae spoke to me during Legal Comm today," I whispered to Seonhee, who was hardly paying attention to me as Eunhyuk was holding her hands under the table. Although they weren't speaking to each other, I could tell that she was not with me.

I was sitting beside Seonhee, who was next to Eunhyuk. Opposite Eunhyuk was Leeteuk who was sitting next to a very quiet Jiyoo.

"Hey are you even listening?"

"Wha-what?"Seonhee said breathlessly.

I shook my head. What kind of friend are you really? I thought to myself.

And where is that Donghae?

At that moment, the door to the cafeteria opened. Donghae entered. He was smiling and in his arms a thin girl had attached herself.

That girl. I will recognize her anywhere.

He walked in with her and both of them slid on a table nearest to the window. Although their table was a good seven tables away, I could hear her laughter clearly ringing in my head.

I looked down on my half-eaten lasagna, and tried to find interest among it's sauce and cheese.

He did not even glance at us. He did not even look at me.

"Hey it's Yoona!"

Leeteuk stood up from his seat and walked towards Donghae and the Yoona girl's table.

So when we were spending lunch at the Business School cafeteria, he spends his time at the high-class cafeteria with that girl.

I felt my stomach churned uncomfortably and stood up to run to the nearest toilet, feeling the taste of my partially digested lasagna make it's comeback up my throat.

I did not even say goodbye to my friends and I didn't even notice a certain someone who smiled at me as I passed by him.

Donghae, was it that easy to forget me?

I locked the door of the toilet cubicle before heaving out my lunch. I feel almost empty.

Physically. And emotionally.