Titanic

What If

“I’ll get us drinks and snacks.”

“Get me nachos. Extra cheese on the side. Please.”

Seonhee gave me her signature sweet smile which is actually very annoying. She was queuing up to buy movie tickets for us both. When we found out that Titanic was refilmed and was starred by different characters with a slight twist to its own story, we hurried down to the nearest cinema to catch the first show. It was one movie we would not want to miss for anything.

I rushed and pushed my way through the crowd, ramming against bodies of some who were too rushing for various queues at the cinema. The cinema is full today indeed.

I could see the Snacks Station from quite a distance. As I proceeded towards the queue, I slammed onto someone who had just bought their food. Nachos.

The orange paste flew dramatically out of its container and happily made base on my white tank top. It made a sickening combination on my top, taunting me with its brightness. I never did like nachos and I do not think I will ever do. my face scrunched up in disgust as I hastily tried to wipe away the nachos with my fingers.

“I’m so, so, sorry,” the boy apologised copiously. “I didn’t see you coming and I… Here, let me help you.” He pulled a handkerchief from the back pocket of his pants and got down on his knees and began wiping the cheddar cheese off my top. Instead of making it better, the cheese simply spread further. It looked like as if I had puked nachos down my front. I started to get a little bit more frustrated.

“You know, its fine. I’m fine,” I tried to dissuade him from further ‘helping’. “It’s alright seriously.”

Why does this have to happen to me? I wondered, my eyebrows furrowing more obviously. He stopped wiping and got up. “I’m really very sorry," he whispered with a very soleful tone. He looked at me with his head tilted, almost as if he was too shy to look at me. Part of his brown hair, fell to conceal his eyes.

It was almost like as if I forgot to breathe. I had not noticed his face until then. His brown eyes, those brown orbs, so apologetic, it was beautiful. His mouth was curved into a perfect downward crescent and his lips parted just ever so slightly. I had a sudden urge to reach out to brush his brown hair off his eyes, but decided against it and held back. I shook my head to force some sanity into my blocked head.

When i finally found my voice and remembered to breathe, I told him that it was not his fault and that it was something inevitable with a crowd this huge at a tiny cinema. "It's really okay. Actually I like nachos a lot. This just makes it more convenient, right?"


Oh no, Min stop making a fool of yourself, i thought, my face blushing. He laughed. His laugh caught me by surprise. It had a tinkle to it and it was almost melodious, sending a cold shiver down my spine. It was not the bad kind of shiver though it made the hair on my arms stand.

“Yoomin-a!”

"Yoomin-a!"

“Hey, I’ve got us the tickets!”

Seonhee came bouncing up towards me and pushed the tickets in front of my face. She had not noticed him standing beside me yet and was annoyed that I had ignored her. I grabbed the tickets from her hands to get it off my face.

You’re blocking the scenery, I thought.

“Have you bought the drinks and the food yet?” Seonhee asked, apparently displeased at my disregarding her presence, hands akimbo. I was about to open my mouth to reply her when he coughed. Seonhee and I looked up at him.

“I think you should take my drinks Yoomin, and eh… what’s left of my nachos. Free of charge. For what I’ve done.” He handed the two cups of drinks to Seonhee and placed the nachos container on my hand. He flashed us a quick smile and rushed off and was soon swallowed up by the mass of crowd.

Both Seonhee and I were still looking at the spot where he stood, before Seonhee turned to me with a sly smile. I would recognize that smile anywhere.

“Who WAS that?” she asked, her voice a strange high-pitched tone, one that she uses only when her brain is doing a mega-work at calculating, thinking, imagining and even scrutinizing things.

“Someone who spilled nachos on me.” I grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the entrance of the theatre hall, my face a burning tomato. I had to hide my crimson cheeks. I was very sure that she would not let me go without a fight and because I know her all too well, she would ask for an answer if I do not keep her occupied with other things. Anyway, the movie was to start in about ten minutes; this would be a perfect excuse to avoid her interrogative questions. Until later, when I have already sorted out my mind and all that mind-bogging thing that happened.

I handed the ticket lady our tickets.

"You still have to answer me later anyway," Seonhee pouted. She pointed Seonhee to the right. As I was about to follow her, the ticket lady stopped me.

“To the left, miss,” she said and guided me to the opposite direction. I stared at Seonhee with a blank face. What is going on? I mouthed. I looked down at the ticket in my hand.

Our ticket seats were at a separate area; she was on the extreme right while I was seated on the other extreme left. I reluctantly handed her the nachos and took the other cup from her hand. I’m sorry, she mouthed as we parted. I smiled and simply shook my head. We were still watching the same movie anyway.

I turned towards the huge door to get to my seat on the other side of the theatre. As I entered the already darkened theatre, the movie advertisements had already begun. It took me some time before I could get my vision back and when I was finally able to see the steps on the floor, I tried to look for the row H. Someone was already seated on the outside. This movie was going to be awkward having to have only the two of us, strangers to each other, watching a romant-- It could not be.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So what do you guys think? I'll try to post the second chapter soon.. wait for it!!

 

AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE! You're comment guys are my only source of motivation!!^^

 EUNHAE FOR YOU^^