Chapter 53

What If
Chapter 53

Yoomin's POV

"So what's your flight seat?" Sungmin asked, peeping from behind me over my shoulder as we stood in line to enter the plane.

I was pretty nervous about this flight. I mean, who knows, the plane could explode into pieces or we could crash into a mountain and die. Or worse, we could be stranded and end up dying slowly one by one from hunger and cold.

All these absurd thoughts had been hovering in my mind since last night when I couldn't sleep. I never liked being above the ground. Ship or plane. I liked my feet steady on the ground.

"Wah!" Sungmin exclaimed, snatching my flight ticket off my hand, comparing it with his. "Were flight buddies too! Is this fate? Or what?"

He raised his eyebrows at me and winked, causing me to blush despite being in an almost a nervous breakdown.

Then he handed me my ticket back, just as it was my turn to be checked by the flight attendant.

"This way please," she said gently, smiling wide and pointing to her left.

My pulse quickened as I entered the plane and began my search for my seat. Soon, Sungmin was behind me. Not long after, I found our seats. Ryeowook was already seated beside the window, busy watching his drama on his Galaxy Tab. Then it dawned on me, I was squeezed in between them.

Oh no, I mentally cursed. Why did this have to happen to me? Sandwiched between this two guys?!?! I clearly won't have an escape route. If only I could ask Sungmin to let me seat outside...

Sungmin pushed me slightly to asked me to quickly sit down. When we had both plopped down, I quickly buckled my seatbelts tight, knuckles turning white.

"Won't this be fun?" Sungmin whispered into my ear, his warm breathe against my neck.

No, don't even think about it, I thought.

.

.

Donghae's POV

I wonder how she's doing now.

I wonder if she's feeling alright.

I wonder if she's not sitting beside Sungmin.

Darn that jerk if he does anything funny with her! I will punch the daylight out of him.

Ahh, Yoomin why do you have to go on Valentines!!

Frustrated, I punched my pillow and rolled over, lying on my stomach, faced down on the pillow. I shouted into the pillow, muffling the sound.

"Huh..." I turned my neck to face sideways to let myself breathe, panting a little.

"Ah why?!" I whined, feeling so frustrated I started to kick my blanket and other pillows off down to the floor. "Ah why?!"

.

.

Yoomin's POV

"This flight will take off in 5 minutes time," the voice operator said.

The plane had barely even moved an inch and yet, my knuckles were already white, gripping the arm rest like as if my life depended on it.

Then, I remembered the question I had wanted to ask Sungmin. I turned to him, who was on his pink iPod nano (why does he have a pink iPod?!?!), listening to music. I let go of the arm rest for awhile, after being on it for almost the fifteen minutes we were seated, and tapped him on his right arm.

He turned to look at me. He then plucked out his earphone off his ear.

"Can I sit outside instead?" I mumbled, fingers mentally crossed (I can't let go of the arm rest...), praying he would say yes.

 

But of course, he just had to shatter that.

"No," he mouthed, then plugged his earphone on again, to listen to his music. He began nodding his head to the beat, deliberately pissing me off. He smiled at me annoyingly, eyes squinting.

I turned away from him, and planted my back against the seat, steadying myself as I felt the plane moving, proceeding to the runway. My pulse quickened and I felt my heartbeats turn erratic. I had a strong urge to call off the flight and get off before it was too late. But I couldn't seem to find a way to control my body because I stayed rooted to my seat, uttering nothing.

"Yah! What are you doing?" Sungmin asked, as I closed my eyes tight, feeling my stomach leaping all on it's own.

"Yah! Lee Yoomin!" he shouted, grabbing my left arm and shaking it vigorously. But I ignored him, hands clasping onto the arm rest for dear life.

The plane began to move, increasing it's speed as it go. I felt my dinner swirl around in weird patterns in my stomach.

"Lee Yoomin! You're white as a paper!"

Then plane was up in the air, and I felt like as if I had left my stomach and my heart back on ground.

Slowly, as my body got used to being up in the air, I managed to breathe easier. But my nervousness of being on the plane has prevented me from falling asleep or feeling like I could sleep even if I had wanted to. Instead, I spent my time drinking glasses after glasses of water served by the stewardess. Ryeowook who had felt sleepy already decided to turn off his drama but I asked if I could too watch, I didn't really like the movies available on plane. So he handed me his Galaxy Tab.

It was that famous Korean drama, Dae Jang Geum (Jewel In The Palace), the part where I was watching happened to be very dry and I wasn't sure when I had suddenly fallen asleep.

.

.

Donghae's POV

It's almost 3am and I have not fallen asleep yet. How am I suppose to go to school at 9am at this rate? Damn. Even if I put my phone on alarm, if I fall asleep, I don't think I'd get up.

Just then my phone buzzed.

So! I'm not the only one awake at this ungodly hour!

It was a message from Eunhyuk.

"Hey, got time to talk tomorrow? Need help with something."

Without wasting time, I quickly typed in my reply.

"I'm free, no problem. What about?"

Almost immediately, just as I was about to put down my phone on the bedside table, it buzzed again, signalling Eunhyuk's reply.

"Seonhee."

I stared at my phone. He wants to talk to me about Seonhee? Hmm, after refusing to tell me what was going on between them for the past few weeks, now he is willing to divulge the happenings.

"Alright."

.

.

Yoomin's POV

I felt my neck hurt, stiff, for having been sleeping with my head on a-

Then I realized, something was leaning on my head. As well.

My eyes shot open and I immediately straightened up from my seat, jerking the sleeping Sungmin awake.

The cabin was dark as the lights were all switched off except for the lights that lined the walkway between seats.

My pulse once again quickened, heartbeat erratic, but this time not because of the plane or the fact that my foot was very much far away from a steady ground.

I must have fallen asleep in the middle of watching Ryewook's drama and had inadvertently fallen asleep on Sungmin's shoulder. Then he too fell asleep, his head leaning against mine.

"You're awake," he said, one eye open. He yawned hugely and stretched his arms above him and pulled his jacket up to himself.

I couldn't look him in the eye, and remained quiet.

Ryeowook was still sound asleep beside me, a blanket pulled up close to himself.

Just then, I felt a very strong urge to go to the toilet, having been drinking glasses after glasses of water in order to calm myself. Now I have to be punished and pay back.

"Em, I need the toilet," I said to him, not quite looking him in the eye. The arm rest apparently has caught my interest.

"Oh sure," he replied, rubbing his eyes, absent mindedly.

As I was about to stand up, the plane jerked.

Not now, you plane! I need the toilet!

"Ma'am," the stewardess approached me. "The plane is experiencing some turbulence. It would be wise if you'd stay on your seat."

"Em, I really need the toilet. Very urgent," I replied, twisting my leg a little to hold the water in, hoping that they wouldn't notice.

"Alright then, but do be careful."

I watched as she walked down the walkway.

I stood up again and Sungmin, sat further into his seat, to make some space for me. Just as I was about to cross over him, the plane jerked hard again, causing me to fall over him.

Eek! Lee Yoomin!

I felt my face burning red (thank goodness the lights were off!).

"I'm so sorry," I tried to get up, flustered over that contact.

But apparently, luck is not on my side today and the plane simply jerked violently again just as I stood up. I slammed back down onto Sungmin, causing him to groan in pain.

Yah! What is this?!?!?!

My face was red and perhaps swelling to an enormous size already with embarrassment.

"Em, what are you two doing?" came the voice of Ryeowook.

Wow. I hate my life.