Chapter 48

What If
Chapter 48

In Japanese Class

Yoomin's POV

"Okay class, listen up!"

Ms Ukiro spoke with a loud but rather squeaky voice, like as if her voice was in capable of going an octave higher. She clapped her hands above her head in an attempt to get the rather rowdy class' attention.

"Excuse me," she squeaked, pushing her round-rimmed spectacles up the bridge of her nose. She cleared before attempting to speak again.

"Asffhgjjksllshha idjdudhddjjjksksk asffgjkskslsg shhhskeiisjjjfk," she spoke in Japanese, the class now more quiet.

I turned to Sungmin, frowning a little before I whispered, "What is she talking about?"

Sungmin turned back to me and said, "She said, as she had previously mentioned 8 months ago and reminded three weeks ago, all of us would be going for a trip to Japan so as to enhance and improve our Japanese language."

A trip to Japan? How come I didn't know about it??

"That's because you hardly pay attention in Japanese class recently, what with the problems you were having with Seonhee," he spoke, answering the thought that lingered in my head.

"But I did write a note for you, over here," he continued and then began flipping through pages of my notebook.

 

"There," he pointed at the pink post-it note.

"Compulsory Japan Trip from February 13 to 19 for all Japanese language students. Parents had been informed through sent emails."

How the heck did I missed this note?? I shook my head in disbelief.

"Thanks," I muttered. He smiled back at me and nodded.

"The teachers and I, well actually just me, have decided that you will be buddies and roommates with your current project buddy so that it would be easier for everyone. Your adults I trust you won't be doing ehem stuff," she continued, incurring groans and some cheers from the class.

Wait, what? Roommates with your project buddy?? Wait. I'm not getting the point.

"What's with your confused frown? We're not just going to be buddies, but roommates as well, isn't that going to be fun?" Sungmin smirked, turning around his seat so that his body was facing me.

I felt my face flush red, and I turned away from him to hide my tomato face.

Isn't it going to be fun? Isn't it going to be fun?? He actually dared to say that? Ohgawd, my face, my face. Why can't you just be of any help to me? Do you seriously need to turn into a chili pepper red to make your point across?? Yes, I'm very much flustered by this. For one thing I'm not even prepared for this trip and second he is going to be my roommate! I think I won't be able to live through that long trip.

"We can play lots of games through the night, like that peppero game, huh?" he whispered close to me, his breathe tickling the nape of my neck.

Is he freaking teasing me??

All memories of that night at my birthday came rushing back to me, that brown Teddy bear which is sitting on top of my bed in my bedroom, that ki-kiss. If it was possible for me to turn any redder than what I was, I think I would have. I felt my saliva choking me and I began to cough violently.

Sungmin's smile disappeared and replaced by a look of concern and he began patting my back to ease my discomfort.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"You dare to ask?!" I retorted, looking up at him when I could finally regulate my breathing as per normal.

"I was kidding alright!"

"Still!"

"I didn't mean anything!"

"Then why say it when you don't 'mean' anything by it?"

"Okay, remind me not to argue with Law Kids," he said, raising his arms in surrender.

I shook my head at him, a triumphant smile pasted on my face.

But that did not cover up the redness of my face.

13...14...15...16...17...18...19! That's seven days!! Oh please someone please kill me now!

.

.

Jiyoo's POV

"So it's just us two?"

Leeteuk slid to the seat next to mine. We were at the cafeteria at our usual table. Our usual table that no longer felt as familiar as it used to. With Seonhee and Eunhyuk gone, it felt like as if the whole table was empty. Their constant cheesy and corny exchange of affection was annoying, true, but somehow if we could manipulate how things are going now, I would rather choke and retch on them than watch them from afar.

Judging from the short exchange of words I have with Eunhyuk in our classes, their relationship was dry much strained as well. Eunhyuk and Seonhee was always arguing recently, which never happened for a whole 8 months they were together. They were a perfect example of how a couple should give and take.

"She's different now," Eunhyuk said, confiding in me once during Siwon's lessons. "She still hasn't truly explain to me what's going on. Jiyoo, I don't know what's going on and what's going to happen."

"We hardly get time to talk just us two, because Sooyeon was always with us," he continued, shaking his head profusely.

As much as I wanted to do something about all the things that were happening, Seonhee and Yoomin, Seonhee and Jiyoo, there was nothing I could do.

"I guess so," I replied back, continuing to twirl the spaghetti with my fork absent-mindedly.

He hummed softly and we both started eating our food silently, sitting side by side like we always did. I liked this feeling of being comfortable sitting beside him. It wasn't awkward and I know I don't have to try hard to start up a conversation. We could just sit down and enjoy the silence that was enveloping us. It was almost like a getaway from all the 'noise' of the drama in our lives.

"I don't know if anyone has actually asked you after all these things..." he suddenly spoke, after swallowing a mouthful of his pizza. I turned to look at him.

"How are you holding up?"

I felt a tugging pain in me. I bit the inside of my lips, trying to hold back a tear in my eyes. I blinked an looked away from his intense gaze.

My fingers curled into a fist feeling all the strong emotions within me gushing out, feelings I've bottled up and never spoke of, not even to Siwon.

"Jiyoo," he spoke, leaning close to me. He reached out and held my hands, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"I know Seonhee no longer speaks to you.."

Another tug at my heartstring.

"And Yoomin is busy with her own sets of problems..."

Again, a painful pull.

"And I don't know if you talk to Siwon, but," he paused.

I turned to look at him, my eyes already wet and red.

"Don't keep it in. Talk to me."

"I don't know, I really don't know," I mumbled a reply, shaking my head violently, feeling hot tears threatening to spill over. I leaned over the table feeling hopeless and desperate. Not knowing what to do.

"I'm so sorry," Leeteuk replied, patting my arm lightly.

"I honestly cannot say I understand your situation because I'm not you," he continued, slowly pulling me closer to the warmth of his chest. "But if you need anyone to talk to, I'm here."

I let him pull me into his embrace, my tears spilling out, and wetting the front of his blue polo shirt. I let him hold me still, my comfort. I was surprised as how much I felt better with him just holding me like this.

"I've always been here for you."