The Square

Spoiler


"It's been a while, Sung Im." told the person, with a familiar voice, on the line. She looked at Jong Kook when she heard the voice of the said caller. He looked at her, and she tried to force a smile when she answered, "Long time, no nothing. Have you been well?" Her jaw dropped when the caller told her that they have to meet at the restaurant later. When the person on the other line asked whether she heard what she said, she quickly replied, "Oh, yes! Sure, I'll be there." 

Jong Kook felt something strange when Ji Hyo suddenly looked at him blankly. "Is there something wrong?" he asked. She smiled at him and shook her head. "May I ask who the caller was?" he asked again. She looked at him and answered softly, "You'll get to know that person pretty soon." He could feel the sudden change of her mood so he asked whether she's hungry. She nodded at him with a smile, so he held her hand and directed her to a nearby restaurant. 

After almost half an hour, Ji Hyo looked at Jong Kook, who is sitting in front of her. She knows that he can't see her looking at him intently because he was busy removing the skin of the chicken that he ordered. When he looked up, he saw her looking at him. He smiled cutely at her, so she smiled back. She noticed that there's a grain of rice on the side of his mouth so she rubbed it with her index finger. He looked at her in the eye, and smiled. "Thank you." he said. "I just rubbed the piece of rice, no need to be that grateful." she said.

Jong Kook held her index finger before he told her 'thank you'. When he heard her reply, he kissed her finger and explained, "Just like how you rubbed the piece of rice, you also rubbed the sadness and emptiness in my heart. I really must be grateful for that. I am really grateful because of you, so I want you to know, that I really want to say, thank you." Her heart raced again upon hearing Jong Kook's loving words. "You're like wine. I'm getting drunk with your sweetness. I think I'll be alcoholic soon." she then said.

She tried to force a big smile when he looked at her for a long time. Their intent staring was only stopped when someone called him. He excused himself before he answered the said phone call. "Why must it be today? When I have just started to love you more and more each day?" she murmured while looking at him talking to someone on the phone. "Later?" she heard him asked the question. Her heart stopped beating for a second when she heard his additional words, "Alright. I'll be there at 6:30 PM. See you all at the restaurant."

He put down the phone and apologized to his woman. "My Mom called me. She said our family will meet your family again later." he announced happily. "We can just go there at the same time later." he added. She nodded as a reply. "I wonder why my mom's voice was sad though. I wish everything is fine." he then told Ji Hyo. "Don't worry, nothing will go wrong. You should just remember that your family will be a good help to another family." she then said. Jong Kook nodded his head and smiled at her as he said, "Let's eat."

Few hours after, it's now time for them to get to the restaurant where the Kims and the Songs will be meeting. Jong Kook opened the car's door for her so she can go out. "Let's go." he then said with a pretty smile. She held his hand as she stepped out of the car. They were almost at the entrance door when she decided to stop walking forward. He looked at her and asked, "Are you okay?" She looked at the man and asked, "Can we not meet them?" He smiled as he jokingly said, "Ji Hyo-ya, do you want to be alone with me tonight?"

He was pretty surprised when Ji Hyo nodded her head. He smiled lovingly as he patted her head and said, "There's a time for that." She shook her head and said, "This might be the first and the last time, I would just like to spend more time with you alone." He smiled again and put his muscular arm around Ji Hyo's shoulders as he said, "After we meet our families, we'll spend more time together, okay? We should keep up with the promise that we gave them." She then hugged him and said, "Then let me hug you more for a little time." 

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were surprised when a group of young ladies suddenly screamed upon seeing him. "Isn't that Kim Jong Kook?" asked one of the young ladies. "Whoa! He's so handsome, and the woman he's hugging is so lucky." added another lady. Both of them smiled upon hearing their warm comments. He held her hand to guide her to enter the said restaurant. Her heart was thumping really fast as they near their families' table. She can see from afar that most of the family members are already there waiting for their arrival.

Before they could enter the restaurant, someone from behind pulled her away from Jong Kook. Jong Kook and her quickly looked at the person. She didn't know that both of them were surprised to see Choi Jin Hyuk at the said place. "What are you doing here?" asked both of them. Jong Kook and Ji Hyo looked at each other upon hearing their question in unison. "You two shouldn't be there." Jin Hyuk told the two of them. She looked at Jong Kook again when she realized what her former boyfriend means. "Leave." Jin Hyuk added.

Jong Kook, who has no idea at what's going on, was about to ask something from Jin Hyuk, however, the young ladies from earlier caught their attention again when all of them screamed at the beauty of a woman, who just stepped out of a very nice car. Upon seeing the woman, Jin Hyuk looked at Ji Hyo, who looked at Jong Kook. Jong Kook looked at Ji Hyo when the pretty woman smiled at her as she runs to give her a warm hug as she asked, "It's been a while. I have been missing you while I was away. How have you been?" 

Ji Hyo stared at Jong Kook, who was still looking at her. The woman, who hugged her, noticed where she's staring so she looked at the man beside her. Her eyes sparkled upon knowing that it's Kim Jong Kook. She smiled prettily as she offered her hand and introduced herself, "Kim Jong Kook-ssi, I never thought that I will meet you this early. This woman, named Cheon Sung Im, is one of my closest friends. My name is... --" The woman looked at her without realizing that Jong Kook's surprised reaction is already melting her.

Jong Kook was really lost for words when the woman, who just hugged Ji Hyo, claimed that she's one of her closest friends. He was lost for words when the woman called Song Ji Hyo with a different name. His mind repeated the name that the woman uttered, "Cheon Sung Im." He looked at Ji Hyo's direction to confirm whether he heard the woman right, but she's avoiding his stare as she shook her head hardly as a warning for the woman not to reveal her name, however, the said woman was not able to see her shaking her head as she revealed, "I am Song Kang Ho's daughter ---", as she uttered her name with a smile, "Song Hye Kyo."