Why not?

You Are Not My Boyfriend

 

“Number 27,” the teacher called in.

You nervously walked into the room while clasping your hands tightly together.

“Give us a little introduction of yourself.”

You bowed and nodded your head, “Neh, Anneonghaseyo, my name is Lee Jenny and I major in vocals and composing and producing music.”

The teachers nodded their heads and gestured for you to proceed with your audition. You pulled out your CD and handed it to the judges. After you sung your lungs out, you pursed your lips together and took in a deep breath.

The teachers looked at your files and talked amongst themselves before looking back to you.

“Jenny, it says on your records that you come from quite a wealthy family. Why are you trying to get a scholarship?”

You bit your bottom lip and hesitated before saying, “Why not? I mean- why does someone’s financial background determine whether or not they make it into an arts high school? I believe that if I don’t make it as a scholarship student here, then I don’t deserve to go into this school and I would still need to practise and retry again as a second year student next year.”

“That’s enough for now.”

“Thank you. Good bye.” You bowed before walking out of the room.

As soon as you stepped out of the hall, you let out a huge sigh of relief.

“Dear god that felt like forever” you put your hand on your chest and let out deep breaths.

“So how was it?” Som asked you.

Your eyes widened and you puffed up your cheeks, “It was nerve-racking, let’s just say that it’s kind of like Superstar K! but without the television crew and cameras.”

“Crap... I’m so screwed...”

“What are you majoring in anyways?” you asked curiously.

“Oh, I play instruments, especially the piano,” Som smiled as she acted out playing the piano.

You smiled, “I guess I’ll just sit with you until it’s your turn to audition.”

Som nodded her head, “I guess it’s time we got to know each other. So, I’m here for playing instruments and you are...”

“I’m here to compose songs and use my vocals.”

“Whoa! That’s so cool,” Som then knitted her eyebrows together, “You seem to have understood what I was saying over the phone...”

“Oh,” you laughed, “That... I came here from Australia. I moved here since I was 7 and my English is still good, thankfully. How about you?”

“I come from Australia as well but the schools there never catered to my needs and the ones that would take about a lifetime for me to pay off; even if it was on scholarship. One day, while I was playing at this competition thingy, this non-suspicious man talked to me about auditioning here at Anyang high. He paid for my ticket and everything.”

“So did your parents come here with you? What’s going to happen if you make it?”

“Well... that man, I mean, Mr Yang. He paid for a hotel room for my mum and I to stay in and if I were to make it into the school, I’ll be staying with a host family.”

“So then how do you know Korean so well?”

Som blushed, “K-pop...”

“Ahh... I’m not surprised; I’ve seen a lot of people who come over here because of K-pop.”

“So why did you move from Australia?”

“Both my parents were adopted and they wanted to get to know their cultural background more so for the past 18 years, they established a company, based in Korea so when business actually got serious, we had to move here.”

Som let out a small sigh.

“What is it?”

“OH... it’s just that I’m so jealous, you can watch dramas without the subs...”

You laughed, “I guess so but sometimes I still have difficulty making a sentence completely in Korean.”

“Number 40-45! Please proceed to the auditorium for preparations. That is number 40-45. Please proceed to the auditorium for preparations. Once again, that message is for numbers 40 – 45.”

“I better get going.”

“Yeah. Good luck.”

“Thank you.”

You waved to Som and out of nowhere you got a message from Gi Kwang.

From: KiKi oppa
To: Jenny
                Hey you, how was your audition? Did you do well? I hope to see an entrance letter in two weeks...

From: Jenny
To: KiKi oppa
                Excuse me but I think that you should be in class and studying, not being concerned about my audition xP I did fine; not to sound confident but I think you will be holding the entrance letter in two weeks. =)

“Jenny-sshi!” Som came running up to you.

“Oh! Aren’t you meant to be auditioning?”

“Yeah,” Som said in a rushed tone, “but I just wanted to tell you that you should probably go home because the audition for instruments is pretty long.”

“Oh...” you nodded your head.

“It’s not that I don’t want you here, don’t get me wrong but it’s going to be at least an hour until I audition.”

“Nope, it’s okay. It’s understandable, I should get home anyways, my parents might be waiting for me. Now go,” you lightly pushed Som away, “You’ll be late for preparations.”

“Okay, bye!”

“Bye!” you waved as Som ran off.