Fallin' Out

You Are Not My Boyfriend

 

~~~~~Hyunseung’s POV~~~~~

“Oh wow! Don’t we just love this song?!”

“Yeah! See? We promised great performances and we brought it, did we not?!”

The audience shouted and cheered. During this time, I took the opportunity to get up and run towards the stage.

“Yah! Where are you going?” Junhyung asked me

“I’m going to prepare for my act.”

I pushed through the door only to be stopped by Landy, “Umm… you’re not up next. You’re the one after this.”

“Yeah, I know but I have to look for someone backstage,” I said in a hurry. I have to find Jenny.

“Um… okay… I guess, just don’t go wondering around because if anything bad happens, Mi Yeon will probably blame you.”

I nodded my head and turned away.

“Oh Landy!” I turned around, “Was Jenny singi-”

Landy ran up to me and covered my mouth, “Shh! Jenny doesn’t want anyone to know that she’s performing today, she’s going to make it a surprise so, shh! But yes, that was her singing live backstage. Why?”

“Oh… nothing in particular. Just wanted to wish her luck.”

“I didn’t know you heard Jenny sing. She’s not the type to sing to those she isn’t close to…” Landy shrugged, “Oh well, I guess she’s changed that now.”

“Yeah, I guess she has.”

I quickly ran off to find Jenny. I have to see her before she sees me and runs away. I searched around and but I couldn’t find her. I saw L.Joe taking off the equipment but I was hesitant to talk to him, I mean, the last time we met, I almost punched him. Oh what the heck, I should, if I want to find Jenny.

“Umm… L.Joe-sshi,” I slowly approached L.Joe.

L.Joe had a confused look on your face, “Umm… hi?”

“I just want to apologise for what happened a few days ago. I wasn’t in the right mind frame.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Look, I just want to make up with Jenny now but she keeps avoiding me… the performance she did with you, where was she standing?”

“She was standing… behind the curtain…” L.Joe pointed at the direction.

“Thanks man, you’re saving a relationship here,” I said as I ran off towards the curtains.

I saw Jenny closing her eyes and playing her air piano as she mumbled words to herself. I carefully walked up to her and she opened her eyes.

“What are you doing here?”

“I-I-I um… entered the competition,” I smiled nervously.

Jenny rolled her eyes, “Oh, so for once you decide to listen.”

I moved closer to Jenny, my heart was beating so quickly, “I made a mistake… I am genuinely sorry for the pain that I caused you, I’ve-I’ve always liked you.”

“Cut the crap. Don’t just say that to me because you feel like it would make everything better.”

Jenny’s eyes were piercing through me, I couldn’t even think straight, her eyes are so mesmerising… For a moment there, none of us said anything; we just looked at each other, her with her angry look and me, me with my longing look. I just want her to be my girlfriend, this time; I don’t mean it for blackmailing reasons.

“Okay, our next contestant was a late entry because she only entered two days ago…”

“Ahh… is that so?” I heard Landy’s voice.

“Yeah, and what’s more is that she has a boyfriend but there’s something she would like to tell him.”

A song… for me? Jenny is dedicating her next song to me?

“Oh! Is it a love confession?”

“Unfortunately Som, it’s not…”

“Aww…”

“But don’t worry, it’s all for show. On a lighter note, our next singer will definitely be the reason for male students at this school screaming.”

I saw Jenny fix her earpiece as she turned around and stood behind the curtain, preparing for her performance.

“Ahh… is that so? So without further ado, we into introduce our best friend, JENNY!”

Suddenly the whole auditorium was filled with screams and fanboy cheers.

“And she wants to tell her boyfriend that she’s ‘Fallin’ Out’-”

“Landy, it’s just for show, it’s not real…” said Som as she laughed and waited for the curtains to open.

“Hyunseung, talk to her later, you’re on stage right now,” Som ushered me off the stage and placed me into the seats.

Jenny looked sad as she looked out to the crowd; I know she’s purposely avoiding me.

*Author’s note: Fallin’ Out by Keyshia Cole*

The song started playing.

Been sitting thinking, about you and I 
& wondering why we’re not getting along.
so frustrated ‘cause what we had was a happy home.
I don’t know what the situation is, 
But I can tell in the way we kiss.
We don’t talk no more; 
It feels better when I’m alone.

Jenny looked at me, sitting from the front row; I could see the tears forming in her eyes.

(Pre-chorus)
Sometimes I feel like there’s no getting through to you,
Like you don’t appreciate all the that I do.
But you gotta show me that you want me to stay
Don’t turn and walk away.

(Chorus)
Baby, I'm slowly fallin' out of love with you,
I don’t know what to do.
How did we end up here this way? 
What are we gonna do?
I'm slowly fallin’ out. 
Baby we’re tripping on silly things.
Boy, I need you to meet me halfway. 
If you want me to be with you.

As she was singing, I couldn’t help but just stare at her, the way she sang with passion… the way her lips moved as she sang, a part of me just wished that I didn’t make her upset and so none of this would have happened. I then noticed that Jenny was looking directly at me. Her eyes were welling up with tears… oh Jenny… please don’t cry because of me…

Don't let your pride get in the way 
On something we worked so hard
Don't throw it away
I've been tryna’ make you  
Everything you need, 
Is right here with me.

When the song ended, Jenny’s face was wet from the tears, she was thinking about me the whole time… Don’t worry Jenny; I’ll make things better…

“WHOO! JENNY DAEBAK!”

“Daebak!”

Jenny bowed as she walked off stage, my cue to run off and find her again. The male audiences were going crazy as they all cheered for Jenny. I ran past the stage crew and the performing students to find Jenny. I found Jenny and couldn’t help myself but smile.

“Jenny,” I grabbed her hand.

“How’d-how’d you find me?”

I let out a small laugh, “I met you halfway.”

Jenny let out a small smile before looking up at me with a serious look, “It was just a song. No need to take it so seriously.”

“I know it meant something.”

She shook her head, “No it didn’t. I just decided to do a cover of the song. Don’t think that everything I say or do has anything to with you.”

I looked down at my right hand which was holding onto Jenny’s hand, her fingers were straight and they didn’t respond to my hand.  

“I can’t do this. I’ve obviously have feelings for you but you went off to date someone but as soon that event happened, you decide to like me. How am I meant to believe that your love is genuine?!”

I thought up every possible scene that could happen before the talent quest. I thought of a scene where we would be shouting at each other and then I’d kiss her, a scene when we would just stare at each other for a long time and we’ll kiss from all the tension and a scene where she turns and walks away after saying something meaningful and I pull her back into a kiss. Basically, all of them ending in a kiss… man, I’ve been watching too many dramas…

I snapped out of my thoughts to see Jenny rolling her eyes with her arms crossed, “-still not listening to me. Maybe the lyrics were right, sometimes I feel like there’s no getting through.” Jenny scoffed, “I guess some of the lyrics related you.”

She walked off and but I was still holding onto her hands and she kind of catapulted towards me. I found myself pushed against the wall and my lips pressed against her forehead. A kiss on the forehead, not on the lips but who am I to complain? She’s not hitting or kicking me.

“You know, me being with Hyuna was just a way to make you jealous.”

Jenny looked up at me, “What?”

“I didn’t know you had feelings for me… I-I just wanted to make you jealous…”

Jenny’s eyes were so… deep as she looked at me. I really wanted to kiss her… maybe I should… I should, just so she can confirm my feelings for her. I bent my knees a little and moved my face closer to hers.

“YAH! You put me through all that pain and stress just to make me jealous?! Are you crazy?!”

I turned into Jenny’s punching bag but I was glad that I was, she’s slowly coming back to me…

“Yah! How could you do that to me?! Jang Hyunseung! I hate you! I hate you!”

I cupped her face and guided her lips towards mine; I leant in for the kiss. For a short while, Jenny was still hitting, which did make a bit difficult to kiss her but afterwards, she toned down on the hitting and moved onto the kiss. Not to reveal anything too intimate but it was the best kiss I’ve ever had. Kekeke.

Oh! Right, my performance. The whole, me and Jenny getting together was so good I forgot to tell you about my performance… I just sang an English song and I don’t even know the lyrics meant… it just sounded really peaceful and nice. Kekeke! Jenny is my girlfriend!

~~~~~End of Hyunseung’s POV~~~~~