72. Last Chance

Eunsun: A star for the king

“How long can this go on for?” Hodong wasn’t exactly thrilled when Eunsun explained to him what happened.

“I got choked up, I’m sorry.” She bowed her head in apology. Her maids all patted her comfortingly. Hodong sighed and then apologized to his niece for being abrupt.

“It’s ok,” Eric assured them both. “There’s still the dinner for tonight, will you be able to bear with it?” They weren’t sure how well Eunsun would go with having to cook again.

“I have to don’t I?” Eunsun knew it was the last time she could put it off again.

***

Eunsun mentally prepared herself as she cleaned the quarters; got the ingredients she needed for the dishes for tonight and made sure she wasn’t going to throw up if she cooked. The storm in her heart was rising again as well as the fear. Fear that even if she told Youngmin the truth that he would reject it. Reject her and their un-born child.

“Are you alright?” She’d finished the preparation and got the food to the kitchen. She agreed to Hodong who’d been concerned.

“It will work out,” he rubbed her back. Eunsun would just have to pray and trust that this was the case.

“Hey Eric,” they saw him enter with his eyes dull; “where did you go?” They’d forgotten that he had

“I went to the prison, all my team is there.” He slumped into a chair. “All of Shinhwa but me.”

“They didn’t tell anyone?” Hodong questioned.

“No,” Eric ran a hand down his face. “But the interrogation and torture… It’s taking a lot out of them.”

“I’m sorry,” Eunsun didn’t just feel for Eric but also to Jihye, the members of Beast and everyone else who was missing a loved one.

“You have to help them,” Eric’s voice was soft. “Please your majesty.” He’d never pleaded before. Hodong gave his support to Eric who struggled against tears.

“Take the rest of the day off,” Hodong suggested. Eric shook his head and sniffed at the same time.
“Youngmin needs me still.”

“I’m sure he’ll understand if it’s only for the rest of the day,” Eunsun added. Eric sighed, getting up as he left to his private space.

“Are you going to be ok without him nearby?” Hodong could sense that the challenge would be harder without him nearby to assist the king.

“He isn’t able to concentrate,” Hodong understood as Eunsun went to her wardrobe to change into something for tonight. “He won’t be of much help and I don’t want him under extra strain.”

“But if worse comes to worse,” Hodong began slowly. “Then you can say that I put you up to it.” Eunsun had to decline this idea. She came over to her uncle and kissed him on the cheek.

“No uncle, I will take the blame for everything if that happens.” Suddenly Hodong had to hug his niece. He held her close; afraid she would notice his fear.

***

She seemed to drag her feet as she walked to the kitchen to bring out the side dishes she’d made hours before. She’d managed to get the dress that she’d worn with her one date with Youngmin before they got married. If she was to be rejected or worse then this was the outfit she wished to wear.

The kitchen drew to a silence as she entered. She in their presence in a fancy outfit was a humbling experience to them. Without saying a word she held the tray steady in both hands as she walked out, her face stone. On the tray there was a small vase she’d arranged with flowers similar to her wedding bouquet.

Soo-yoon came to her path. She tugged her step-mum’s skirt to get her attention. Eunsun handed her tray to a servant to hold for a moment. For about five minutes Eunsun hugged Soo-yoon, afraid she would never have the chance to do it again.

“Soo-yoon,” she signed to her as she spoke. “Mother has something she needs to do, I don’t know what will happen but I want you to keep being happy ok?” The young girl didn’t quite understand but she willingly nodded.

“Mother,” she signed back. “Are you sad?”

“I’m fine,” Eunsun kissed Soo-yoon on the nose. “Be good to the nanny ok?” Soo-yoon nodded and Eunsun received the tray back as the nanny came into view. She smiled at her client while bowing to Eunsun.

“She’ll take good care of her if it comes to that.” Her voice trembled as she voiced this confession to herself.

***

“Ah there she is,” the two men rose to stand as Eunsun entered carrying the first course. Youngmin her lower back gently. Eunsun placed the tray down, it rattled slightly from nerves.

“It looks good,” Donggun beamed as he and Youngmin ate. Eunsun couldn’t force anything down so she drank water in scant sips. After this had been finished the servants bought in the main course, Eunsun left the room for a moment to make sure she had everything Eric had prepared. She didn’t have him to interpret it to the king so the task went to her as well.

“You’ve really out done yourself your majesty.” Donggun praised her while they ate. She smiled shyly to him; her husband nodded his eyes going smaller in delight. “It makes us wonder what the occasion is for you to keep delighting us with such delicious meals.” Eunsun knew the reason; she felt this was her cue to confess.

“There is a reason…” She stood up to go to bring the folder. Her bow to them bow was as far as she could go.

“Prime Minister, your majesty, honey,” Youngmin’s grin went wider from hearing the term of endearment. “I prepared this for you both tonight because I have an urgent matter I wish to address.” Youngmin sat back in his chair while Donggun kept his position the same though he was confused.

“Your majesty, you’re aware that for the past several months we’ve had people from all over the nation being abducted. The reason was not clear, no one knew but I know who did it and why.”

“Continue.”

“What the government doesn’t know is that the abductions aren’t going after random people. Eunsun took out a case file. “One of the missing men is Reverend Kim HyunSoo; he is the head of a Baptist church.” She then continued with the other case file.

“Han Hea-Woo, mother of three, a regular church attendee.” Youngmin examined it closely, Donggun stayed rigid in his chair, eyes darting back and forth from what he was seeing.

“Finally, Jung Yunho—“

“—Who!?” Donggun was asked to sit down. He did as he was told with reluctance.

“Kpop star, musician, also a Christian,” Eunsun closed the file. “While these three people are at different walks of life, positions and age the one thing that’s clear is that all of them share the Christian belief.”

“So what is the matter with that?” Donggun questioned, his face exposing the fear from within.

“These people were abducted and taken to the prison in Seoul,” Eunsun took out the paper clipped photographs. Youngmin’s eyes widened as he looked at the first one.

“Yunho, those people are from Beast… What are they all doing there? What crime have they committed?”

“None except for the fact that they are Christian,” Eunsun told him.

“But then why do you care about it so?!” Donggun’s voice was rising. “Why does it matter to you whether or not they are arrested?”

“Because they are my friends…. And… My people,” she drew to a close. Youngmin stared at his wife, unable to read her face. She swallowed, the perspiration starting to build.

“Eunsun, honey what do you mean?” Eunsun left the room. Shakily she placed her gold cross on and walked back in. His eyes immediately went to her neck.

“Eunsun…. Are you really?”

“That is why my family was killed.” She said this like she’d consumed a lemon. “An organization called the Anti Religious Society has been bent on killing people for the past twenty years; all because of their faith.”

“But then why did you need to bring me here if you could have shared this fact alone with your husband?!”

“You’re sponsoring their cause.” The moment the words were spoken Donggun froze; face transfixed in the shock and horror of being exposed. Youngmin turned in his seat to the paralyzed man. “Is this true?”

“Y-y-your majesty,” he breathed in and out. “I don’t know what she’s talking about.” Eunsun bit her lip. She hadn’t expected him to be able to lie so easily.

“Are you trying to kill them?”

“Not her per-say,” Donggun’s lip pulled down at a bottom corner in that typical expression when one is trying to beat around a bush; “more like her uncle who refused to bow to me.”

“WHAT KIND OF A REASON IS THAT?!” Youngmin lifted a hand, silencing Eunsun. The two watched as he rose, hurt, shocked and confused.

“I’m disappointed,” he said barely above a whisper. “Eunsun,” he looked at her, his voice betraying him. “I trusted you… I thought we promised not to hide anything from each other.”

“I’m so sorry,” Eunsun’s eyes raised to the ceiling along with the tears she was trying not to release.

“I need to think about what I’ve heard.” Quickly Eunsun gathered the things and gave them to him.

“Please,” she begged with a catch in her voice. “Please think about what you’ve heard.” He didn’t even reply as he left them, his mind troubled enough as it was. Eunsun sank down to the floor, covering her eyes with her hand as she cried.

“Well…” Donggun got up to his feet, adjusting his jacket and tie. “This has been a rather unpleasant evening. I will show myself out.” Eunsun stayed where she was, wiping her face in a hurry. A moment later she had the strength to stand up again, a hand clasped over . Panic rushed through her as the next sound she heard was the clicking and the glint of a dark metal barrel against her scalp.

“Now,” Donggun hissed in her ear. “We can do this the easy way or the hard way. You either let me finish you now or later in front of the whole palace.” Eunsun didn’t know what to do; adrenalin starting rushing through her, every part of her body frozen by the power of the pistol dangerously close to her.

“Cat got your tongue? Well I’m going to count to a hundred and by the time I stop you give me one word. One word and that will be it.” With that he started to count.

***

Soo-yoon was going back to her room to grab a teddy bear. She wanted to show the nanny the new bow tie that Eunsun had made for it. As she got to the main area she stopped, peeking behind the door. In shock she saw her mother being held against her will as a man slowly counted in the twenties ascending order.

She left and started to run. Scared out of her wits the young girl opened , forgetting that she could not talk.

“Ah!” yelled. “Ah-d… D-D…D-a…D-ad-dy…DADDY, DADDY, DADDY!”

“What was that?” Youngmin and his relief assistant were startled from hearing the calls. The assistant shook his head.

“Maybe a child came with their parents to work and has lost their father?”

“Good grief,” a guard entered the room, bowing clumsily to them both. His face was as if he’d seen a ghost. “The princess is talking!”

“What?!” Youngmin and the assistant stood as Soo-yoon ran in, red faced.

“Daddy,” The king opened his arms embracing his daughter.

“Soo-yoon you can talk?!” He spoke, voice raw with emotion. Soo-yoon was crying and shaking.

“Daddy, daddy, daddy…. M-m-mum-uh-mummy!”

“Did she say mummy?” Youngmin asked. The baffled assistant nodded.

“What about mummy...?” It was then he remembered the situation. He’d left the two of them alone. “Come, quickly,” he scooped up Soo-yoon and ran with her in his arms, the assistant followed, and calling for three guards to follow.

***

“Ninety six, ninety seven, ninety eight, ninety nine…” Donggun smirked in triumph. He wanted to wait for a bit, to make the suspense more intense.

“One hun…” There was a bang of doors as the king entered with the guards and the assistant. The assistant held Soo-yoon as the king un-armed Donggun and trapped him in a headlock.

“You…” He snarled as Donggun struggled in the hold; “are finished! Trying to kill her royal majesty later and now is treachery at the highest.” He lowered Donggun to the floor, digging his knee into his back. “Take him,” the guards intervened as they both grabbed his arms behind him. Once Donggun was taken care of Youngmin helped Eunsun to her feet. He wrapped her firmly in his embrace; the emotions they’d been holding in were finally able to be released.

“I love you,” Youngmin choked on the words. “I’m sorry that I didn’t believe you.”

“I’m sorry I lied,” Eunsun cried into his shirt. “I didn’t want to hurt you.” Youngmin squeezed his eyes tight as salt water started to shed. Someone tugged at his trouser leg. Letting tears fall as he opened them again he bent down to see Soo-yoon wanting to be a part of it.

“Daddy,” Eunsun gasped. She looked down at Soo-yoon and then at Youngmin.

“S-she can talk?” Youngmin smiled wider as he picked up his daughter. They had a hug between the three of them.

“It’s a miracle,” he breathed laughing while crying.

“It’s God’s faithful and gracious hand,” Eunsun kissed Soo-yoon on the head nestling her face into her daughter’s shoulder. They had three things to be thankful for. One was Soo-yoon able to speak, the second that the plan had worked though there had been the hiccup near the end and the last thing was that they were together and always would be as well as the fourth member yet to arrive.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

This isn’t the end yet. The next chapter will close everything off, smoothly I hope.