29. Meet the Hwangs

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Eunsun-sshi?” Eunsun gave a nod to the servant who was at the door.

“I’ve been informed I am to you to his highnesses quarters to meet the royal family.”

“Today?” Eunsun looked at the calendar, it had only been two days since she’d gotten engaged. She looked down at what she was wearing, “is it alright if go get ready?”

“You have half an hour,” Eunsun nodded and clapped to get her maid’s attentions.

“Jiyoung and Hara-ee could you two please find me something suitable to wear?” They nodded as they went to her wardrobe and drawers.

“Gyuri-ee I would like you to do my make-up, Seungyeon can do my hair and Nicole will be the time checker.”

“Cool,” Nicole giggled at her newly appointed task as she stood by the clock. The maids got to work to help Eunsun be ready. Soon Eunsun emerged dressed in a yellow blouse with a pencil denim skirt and brown sandals. Her hair was pinned off her face and she had pale red lipstick and light brown eyeliner and mascara to enhance her eyes.

***

“Looking conservative,” Eric said as they went past each other in the courtyard, “guess you’re meeting eomma and appa today.”

“Uh huh, this is what Jiyoung-ee and Hara-ee chose. They obviously have done this before.”

“I see,” have a good day, “they really out do themselves at breakfast.” Eunsun’s stomach growled as she spotted a clock. It was seven thirty in the morning no wonder she wasn’t fully awake.

The servant led her to the kings’ quarters and knocked on the door.


“Your majesty, Eunsun-sshi is here.” The door opened by Soo-yoon who smiled at her.

“Hello Soo-yoon,” she greeted her signing it to her as well.

‘Hello eomma.’

“Aww,” came a voice from behind the door as the king stepped behind Soo-yoon, “that was really sweet.” He smiled at Eunsun.

“Did my bride-to-be sleep well last night?”

“I did thank you,” Eunsun said as she entered the quarters before Hwang told Soo-yoon something.

“She’ll be coming with us. It will be a good opportunity for her to spend time with her uncles and aunts.”

“Of course they must be happy for you.” She was suddenly in his embrace.

“So tell me; how does it feel to be getting married to the most handsome man in the whole of Korea?”

“Am I really marrying him?” She joked and they both laughed.

“Oh yeah there’s something I was meant to tell you that night,” Youngmin added still holding her, “we are not suppose to show physical displays of affection in public until the actual wedding itself; except for holding hands.”

“Ok,” Eunsun nodded, “I guess it’s part of your custom.”

“But if you want to…You know…” He said in a low voice so Soo-yoon didn’t hear, “we can…If you want.” Eunsun’s cheeks went red.

“Oh um I’m happy to wait until after the wedding.” She said still blushing.

“Ah ok that’s fine with me. I guess I just maybe…”

“--Expected me to be like the other women in that sense?” She finished for him, “well I’m not. My uncle gave me some good advice on that matter.”

“Really, what did he tell you?”

“Well… When a person is looking for someone to be with it’s like they are buying a car. They may find a second hand one because it’s cheaper. So they take a look at it, on the outside it looks alright but when they lift the bonnet and sit inside they find all these problems such as broken air conditioning, etc. And also they go through the cars history and find out how many miles its gone and what happened. So then the person rethinks it and then they decide to buy a brand new car from a dealership. It costs more and hasn’t been driven far but it runs smoother and is in better condition than the second hand car.” Eunsun smiled to herself as Youngmin released her so they could go to their lift, “so I guess what my Uncle was trying to say is, I deserve to give someone their very best, not a lot of history or things broken with me.”

“He gives good advice,” Youngmin agreed as they walked down to the Mercedes, “and he’s right. People take short term pleasure before really thinking about the effects it may have in the long term. That’s what my parents taught me.”

“They are wise,” Eunsun smiled as he opened the door for her, “thank you.” He smiled as they sat down and put their seat belts on while Soo-yoon’s nanny put her in her special chair.

They pulled out and drove down the road for a while. Soo-yoon fell asleep in her seat, both Eunsun and Youngmin smiled at her.

“She’s so sweet,” Eunsun said as she lifted Soo-yoon’s head up so she wouldn’t hurt her neck.

“She’s really happy you are going to be her mum.” Youngmin added a tender smile on his face at his two favorite ladies.

“I hope I can do well despite…” She went quiet from remembering.

“I’m sure you will do fine,” Youngmin took her hand and squeezed it, “if you have trouble my mother will be happy to give you advice.” Eunsun smiled at the king.

“I’m glad, I hope she likes me.”

“They both will,” Hwang lifted her hand up and kissed it, “as well as my hyungs and dongsaengs.”

***

They came to a rather fancy house where a servant was waiting for them.

“Lord and lady Hwang are waiting in the garden for you.” He said after they greeted each other.

“Thank you,” Youngmin said looking at Soo-yoon who was stamping her feet with excitement, “behave my dear.” Soo-yoon stopped, lowered her head sheepishly while Eunsun and Youngmin both laughed gently as they followed the servant into the mansion.

“Youngmin,” a middle aged lady said dressed in a light blue shirt and a pair of black trousers stood up from their chair with a man around six feet in a long short sleeved white shirt with trousers. They both hugged Youngmin.

“Eomma, appa,” he smiled as he kissed his mother on her cheek and then shook hands with his father, “how are you both doing?”

“We are well thank you,” his father said warmly. They both drew their attention to Eunsun, “and is this the lucky lady?”

“Eomma and appa I would like to introduce you to Kang Eunsun. My fiancée,” Eunsun gushed after he said ‘fiancée.’

“How lovely to meet you,” his eomma smiled at Eunsun, “I’m Hwang Inyoung, Youngmins' eomma.”

“It’s lovely to meet you,” Eunsun said with a smile on her face; Inyoung came closer to examine her son’s future wife.

“You have a pretty face and figure,” Inyoung complimented her, “he’s chosen well.”

“Hello I’m Hwang Jung-won,” The past king said bowing to her, “it seems that Eric-ee’s plan worked after all.”

“Do you have any family Eunsun-ee?” Inyoung asked her.

“I have an uncle...”

“Ah so no parents,” Eunsun opened to explain but Youngmin intercepted at the right time putting an arm protectively around her shoulders.

“Well she doesn’t quite know where they are at the moment,” Youngmin told them, “but I’m sure that wherever they are they are proud of her.” Eunsun smiled at his kind words.

“Ah anyway then Eunsun-ee can I talk to you about what your plans are for the wedding?” Eunsun nodded looking up at Hwang’s face. He nodded and he moved his arm.

“Come son we should have a talk too.”

“Did Kyung and Lee-woo come today?” Youngmin asked as his father took him to the garden.

“Yes they are here,” he told them as the women went to the kitchen.

***

“So Eunsun-ee do you have any ideas of the food you would like to have for the reception?” Inyoung queried as she placed a plate of scones on a plate along with a jar of jam and a slab of butter with some bread plates. On another tray there was hot food like bacon, sausages, eggs and a stew.

“Um my Uncle runs a catering business so I was going to ask him if they would like to have the food,” Inyoung nodded.

“What about the cake?”

“I don’t know,” Eunsun admitted, “I guess that would be something I will trust you with.”

“I will come up with the most beautiful cake for you and my sons’ special day.”

“Thank you I appreciate it.”

“Also, do you have in mind who you will have for the bridal party?” Eunsun wasn’t sure, she thought about it as she helped Inyoung carry a tray to a large black table placed on the edge of the large several hectare lawn.

“Do you mean like bridesmaids?”

“Yes exactly.”

“Well…” A smile came onto her face. She knew exactly who to pick.

“I have five friends that I was thinking of asking.”

“That’s good, that means he can have his brothers to be his groomsmen,” she counted in her head and frowned , “hold on.. He still needs one more to have an equal party.”

“I’m sure he will find someone,” Eunsun said with a thoughtful smile on her face.

“Ah there you two are,” Inyoung grinned at her husband while he and his son joined them, “where’s Kyung and Lee-woo?”

“Coming,” two men who looked to be from their thirties to late twenties strolled in; one of them had a small line of hair around the edge of his square jaw and the other had longer hair which was still kept above the collar and was in a black t-shirt.

“Hyung,” Youngmin said going to the one with the square jaw. They embraced patting each other on the back.

“How are you?” Youngmin asked him, “I haven’t seen you since you got married.”

“Yeah I’ve been busy helping in Thailand,” his hyung added.

“Hello there,” the other brother said winking at Eunsun. She laughed nervously.

“Shame on you Kyung,” their father said with a scowl, “flirting with your brother’s fiancée openly.”

“Come on appa I was just having fun.” He whined, “Show me the bling.”

“Kyung!”

“As you can see our beloved little brother hasn’t changed,” the one that was named Lee-woo pointed out to Youngmin as the two joined the bigger conversation.

“Yeah,” Youngmin said trying to not show his disapproval, “how is that model you’ve been dating?”

“Oh she’s alright,” Kyung said in a so-so voice, “but I think I might like her sister.” Youngmin casually walked over to stand between Kyung and Eunsun.

“Eunsun-ee I would like you to meet my dongsaeng Kyung and my third oldest hyung Lee woo. These two are the brothers I’m closest with.”

“How do you do?” Lee-woo asked grinning, “I was pretty excited when I heard I would be meeting the new queen of Korea.”

“Yeah both of us, more than we met Chayune,” Kyung groaned after he said her name, “couldn’t stand her--”

“—Anyway let’s sit down to breakfast,” their father interrupted as he pulled out a chair for his wife.

“Is Yuna here?” Youngmin asked Lee-woo.

“She is with Soo-yoon who is… Coming right now,” walking along the garden with Soo-yoon was a woman with a pixie cut in a flowery dress.

“Hello Yuna,” Youngmin said standing up to kiss his sister-in-law on the cheek.

“How have things been Youngmin-ee?” She asked as she took a seat beside her husband.

“Good, this is my fiancée Eunsun-ee.”

“Hello,” Eunsun said to her.

“Hello how nice to meet you,” Yuna said, “You must be the winner of that competition Eric-ee held.”

“Um I wouldn’t say winner--”

“--Yes,” Youngmin cut her off resting his arm along the back of her chair, “I have Eric to thank for finding her.” Their eyes interlocked and they both drew smiles.

“Ahem,” Youngmin frowned at Kyung clearing his throat, “you’re forgetting we’re in the presence of a child.” He indicated to Soo-yoon eating her porridge beside her grandmother.

“Don’t forget the protocol,” their father added and Youngmin sighed.

“Yes appa,” he said as he picked some bacon off the plate and placed it onto his own, “would you like some Eunsun-ee?”

“I’m happy to have some eggs and fruit thank you,” she said and he scraped some of the egg onto her plate and then put some into the bowl before her.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he said smiling.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And there’s more fun yet to come. I had to split this up because of how long it is.