1. A Banquet fit for a King

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Eunsun-ah where are you?” The girl whose name was called lifted her head up from what she was doing. A tulip was clutched in her hand while a basket sat by her feet. She got up and went to where the voice was coming from. She came to the front of the house and smiled at the big man who was loading rice cookers into a white van. ‘Kang’s catering’ was written on the front in simple black print with a small pig next to it in a chef’s hat.

Finally catching sight of her he stood up straight and cracking his back, “Ah there you are.We have to get going in half an hour.” She looked at her watch.

“Oh I’m sorry, I forgot,” she went to go inside.

He stopped Eunsun by calling after her. “Don’t forget the tulips for the centerpiece.” She stopped to add this to her to-do list.

“I will Uncle,” she quickly went to get ready. She went with him for all his jobs it was her way of showing she appreciated all that he did for her. He seemed to enjoy it too, for she was the only close family member he had. Eunsun was only twenty eight but her face gave the appearance that she was younger. Before getting to work she tied her hair up into a bun and then put on the white polo shirt with their logo on the back. She kept her jeans and sneakers on and went to grab some ribbon, a vase and other items to make the centerpiece.

“Wow you’re going all out this time.” Her Uncle commented as she climbed into the front passenger seat.

Eunsun smiled, “I have to don’t I?” She asked while preening the ends of the tulips to make them fit in the vase. “This is not just for anyone is it?”

“True my dear;” he chuckled as they drove down the road. “You must be excited. First time you’ve been in the palace.” She nodded.

“Uh huh I am indeed,” she grinned as she tied a piece of ribbon around the vase and then filled the bottom of it with some colored glass stones.

***

They came to the grand place itself. The place where the event would be held, the banquet that was being prepared for the king; her uncle pulled up beside the four other vans that were part of the business. Thanks to business being good her uncle had expanded and now they had a team of twenty five willing faces to help with the preparation of food.

“Ah you must be the Kang HoDong of Kang Catering,” a man came out to the park and shook hands with him. He shook his hand after exchanging grips with him.

“And you are Mun Eric, the king’s personal assistant. I’d heard you were a sharp dresser.”

The man grinned from the compliment. “Thank you, if it makes you feel better then you can call me Junghyuk.” he looked over his grey pin stripe shirt with the silver cufflinks, “I have to look smart for tonight.” He eyed the small stains on HoDong’s shirt but said nothing.

Before it became too awkward Hodong pushed his niece forward.“And this is my niece Eunsun.” She bowed to Eric.

“Nice to meet you.”

He gave a curt nod and then showed them to the doors. “Yes you too, come and I will show you where to set up.” HoDong gestured for Eunsun to go help some of the team unload some pots from a van and then follow them in.

***

“Wow,” Eunsun breathed as they entered the dining room where the banquet was being held. There were white and blue streams of fabric with a shimmer that hung around the room secured by red ribbon and silver rings. The floor was simple wood boards except for the edge of the room where there was a mosaic tiled square of the royal emblem and the motto that they voiced.There  At the seating places sat goblets with gold, silver or red trim around the base and the stem of the glass and they were placed in a particular pattern. The names of generals, ladies-in-waiting and other figures of importance were at the three fifteen foot long tables typed in fancy, cursive font. At the head of one table sat a gold chair for the host of the banquet himself, the king.

Eric noticed the vase in Eunsun's hands. “Oh what is that?” He asked in slight confusion.

“It’s the centerpiece you asked for.” She said holding it up for him to see. It had been hard to grow blue tulips but she’d been fortunate to come across the rare bulbs which had been genetically modified in a nursery.

He paused keeping his expression professional. “Oh I’m sorry didn’t we tell you?” He glanced at HoDong who was unpacking the pots for the rice as well as the frying pans. “We already have the centerpiece.” With a swift movement of a hand he directed her attention to the large centerpiece. It was a pillar of Sharon’s roses weaved around it from the base so the blossoms were facing out. On the top was a glass bulb where a rose shaped crystal sat in it glistening.

 Eunsun looked at her own masterpiece which seemed like a kid’s painting compared to what they had. She said nothing, afraid her disappointment at the waste of her work and time would be evident.

“Maybe next time,” he suggested as she went to put her vase out of sight. “The guests are due to arrive at seven thirty so I urge you to have this ready by then for the sake of your reputation.”

HoDong pumped his fist in determination. “We will work hard."

***

By seven the rice was ready and the main courses and other dishes were close to being ready.

“How nice of the king to send his cooks on a holiday,” HoDong said as he lifted the ladle from a pot to taste the beef stew, “mm good. Eunsun how is the kimchi?”

“its ready Uncle,” she called coming over with a small bowl of the dish. He finished it in one go, slurping as he did and swished it in his mouth.

He gave a one syllable sigh of approval. “Alright we are good to go. Now we just need the cake.” HoDong went to see to that. Eunsun wiped her hands on her apron. She saw her flower arrangement on the table.

“It’s  great  Eunsun.” one of their assistants said to her, “don’t feel too bad.”

“Thank you,” she answered giving him a smile. However when he was out of sight she threw the flowers away and packed the vase in a box.

***

The next half an hour proved to be important for HoDong as the guests arrived and the drinks had to be ready to be bought out by the twenty waiters and waitresses. Eunsun stayed in the kitchen to help with the finishing touches before the dishes were carried out. Any complaints were directed at HoDong who took in everything the diners said as well as gushing from the compliments.

One of the waiters entered the kitchen appearing skittish and somewhat nervous. Eunsun paused what she was doing to speak with him.

“Is everything alright?”

“There’s a General who wants to speak to him.” The man replied. Eunsun straightened up and glanced at Hodong who was busy mixing the batter for a dessert.

Seeing he was busy she wiped her hands on the apron around her waist before discarding it. “I’ll come,” she answered following the skeptical waiter to the dining room. The room was audibly alive thanks to the sound of the guests and the musicians playing on the mosaic floor. She was taken to a table and she bowed to the General.

“How can I help you sir?”

He cleared his voice and pointed to his dish. “Yes, well I found this hair in my food." Eunsun felt several pairs of eyes drawn to them as he showed her the short black strand. If she wasn’t careful it could prove disastrous for her uncle.

Taking a deep breath she took the plate.“I apologise for this. We will bring you a new meal.”

“Thank you I appreciate it,” he said gruffly as she went briskly avoiding other glances.

***

Eunsun noticed Hodong pouring the batter into the pans for baking. She didn't think the king wanted such a dessert. “Uncle, did the king want a cake?”

“No this is for the queen.”

She faced him confused, “the queen? But isn’t she dining with his majesty?”

He shook his head.“No we are currently catering for two events. The first is the kings’ third year anniversary and the other is the queen’s sister’s nineteenth birthday.”

Looking on the bench she spotted the pearl, white candles in their container.

“Is everything alright?” He asked seeing her expression.

She remembered the General's meal. “Oh we just had a complaint,” she told him, “but we’re getting the person a new meal.”

“Good, good. I might send you out there with the other wait staff.”

Eunsun suddenly felt worried. She hadn't worked in such a forward position before. “But…Don’t you want my help here?”

“We’ve got everything covered,” HoDong told her while he cut up butter. “Keep an eye on the drinks and take care of the complaints. Don’t forget your manners.” She nodded and then took her leave.

***

Eunsun didn’t have to worry about much. If a waiter wasn’t sure about something she was able to show them what to do or how it was done without making their uncertainty obvious. The guests paid no attention to her. Well all those except for the men who had the wine go to their head.

“What?!” There was silence all of a sudden as the king made a loud exclamation. The servant was shaking in his spot.

“T-t-that was what I heard your highness…”

“Really?” His voice was raised and the guests were becoming uncomfortable. He glanced at the guests. His face was turned in the direction of Eunsun's and she saw his face properly for the first time in public. For some reason she was drawn to him like the pull of a riptide in an ocean current although she didn't know why. The king sighed and had a sip of wine.

“Send for the ministers tomorrow at seven thirty sharp. I will have to get their advice on this matter.”

The servant bowed down low, said "yes sir" and was dismissed.

Soon after the king's temper had cooled he spoke to his guests. “Please forget about what just occured. Let that not disturb the rest of our time together.” Everyone soon forgot about the matter and went back to their food. Even though it had been a tense moment Eunsun felt she wanted to stay, listen more to him. And then she saw the guests were starting to finish their dessert so she hurried back to the kitchen to help clean up.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone. Well this is a new fan fic one which I hope people like. This one will be easier to write than the others but it doesn’t mean I will be finished with this one immediately. I have a feeling I’m going to have a lot of fun with this idea *rubs hands togethers* oh and please leave a comment even if you plan to read in silence for the whole thing. It would make me feel appreciated LOL.