61. Back to normal?

Eunsun: A star for the king

Eunsun packed her bag and left the quarters. She was going to see Hodong while he was in hospital.

“Are you ready?” Eric asked as she came to the dining room.

“Uh huh,” Soo-yoon went over to Eunsun and hugged her.

“Don’t worry,” Eunsun the top of her head, “I’ll be back in an hour or so.”

“I’m sure your maids will do well watching over her,” Eric added as he took her to the car.

“Did you say bye to your hubby?” Eric asked as they sat down.

“He wasn’t there, a maid told me that he had gone out on a jog.”

“Ah well I guess you two can spend some time together later on.”

“Yeah,” Eunsun agreed. They came to the hospital and got out.

“Excuse me,” Eric shielded Eunsun from the paparazzi while the guards did their best to keep them at bay. Eric spoke to the nurse keeping Eunsun close to him while security at the hospital had to intervene.

***

“Uncle,” Eunsun said going into the room over to Hodong who had his arms out.

“My precious Eunsun,” he said hugging her.

“How are you?”

“Good,” Hodong gave her thumbs up. Eunsun smiled as she reached into her bag.

“Here’s something to help you get better.”

“Ah vitamins,” Hodong smiled at the package, “you really know how to take care of your uncle.”

“Of course, I’ve known you more than anyone else.”

“Actually you’ve known God more.”

“But God isn’t a person,” they smiled at each other.

“How are you?” Eric said as he entered the room, “seems we had a close call there.”

“Yeah,” Hodong nodded, “I’m feeling great thank you.”

“Well I spoke to the doctor and he says after a few more tests you will be discharged in two days.”

“That’s great,” Hodong squeezed her hand. “How have you all been since?”

“We’ve been worried about you so we’ve barely slept.” Eric grinned, “But we found the criminals thanks to you.”

“Really?” Hodong leaned back in his bed, “that’s a relief.”

“So what’s the verdict?”

“Umm well….” Eric looked at the floor.

“Eric,” Eunsun began.

“They are to be executed within a few days.” A gasp left Hodong.

“That’s horrible,” Eunsun covered .

“Unfortunately there was nothing I could do,” Eric still kept his head down.

“I’m sure you did your best,” Hodong added, sharing his and Eunsun’s thoughts, “what matters is that the king is safe and I’m alive.”

“Oh yeah this is for you,” Eric gave Hodong a box of chocolates.

“Eric-ah,” Eunsun scolded, “He shouldn’t!”

“I’ve been told they are ninety seven percent fat free,” Eric added.

“Then they are real chocolates,” Hodong said putting one in his mouth making them laugh.

***

“Eunsun-ah?” Eunsun heard her husband calling her name, “someone’s on the phone for you.” She followed him to his office.

“Who called me?” She asked before picking up the receiver.

“A friend,” Youngmin kissed her on the side of the head before leaving her. She sat in his chair.

“Hello? Eunsun speaking,” she held her breath.

“Eunsun-ah! Your voice is how I remember when I first said hello.”

“Y-Yunho-sshi?”

“Yes noona. I thought I would give you a call to see how things were. How’s your uncle?”

“He’s fine,” Eunsun could feel herself tearing up. “He’s going to be released in a few days.”

“That’s a relief,” he laughed merrily over the phone, “what about the bad guys?”

“They were convicted and are waiting for their sentence.”

“Ah is it a life sentence for them?”

“Well… You could say that.”

“I’m sorry?”

“They…. They’re being executed.”

“What?!” Yunho was horrified, “wow I didn’t think we still…. Killed people.”

“I had no idea either,” Eunsun admitted, “but apparently that’s what is going to happen.”

“Oh gee, I’d better start praying for them then.”

“Mm good idea,” she was glad he’d thought of it.

“Well I have to go. I’m off to Japan soon. The promoting doesn’t cease,” he laughed and then gave a yawn.

“Please rest,” Eunsun told him sounding concerned, “you shouldn’t have less than eight hours a night.”

“Thanks for your concern noona. Changmin and I shall do our best.”

“Ok good for you.”

“Bye,” he hung up and Eunsun put the receiver down. Youngmin came in on cue.

“Let’s go out for dinner,” he said wrapping his arms around her holding her close. She smiled as she smelt his cologne.

“Ok,” she said as they went to get Soo-yoon.

***

Two days later Hodong came out of the hospital and everyone was praising him from every corner of the country. The only exception was the two criminals who only had four days before their execution.
“Youngmin,” Eunsun said as they stood in the garden, “do they really have to die?”

“It’s the law,” Youngmin didn’t elaborate, “They tried to take my life.”

“But still…” Eunsun watched the bees that buzzed around the flowers of spring, “it doesn’t feel right.”

“It may not feel right,” Youngmin said, “but by law that’s what is to happen.” Eunsun shook her head, starting to walk away.

“It is the law,” Youngmin said again not as certain as he did before.

***

“I know you’re upset Eunsun but you need to stop this moping.” Hyori said as if she didn’t really care, “it’s getting everyone else down in the dumps.”

“It’s not the first time I disagreed with royal protocol,” Eunsun began, “but still… Even if he is my husband I think they should get another chance.”

“Tough break for them,” Hyori stood in her heels, “they got what’s coming.” Eunsun buried her face in her hands while Hyori went and took care of other things.

“The day of the execution of the two men is scheduled for eleven am in two days from today,” the reporter told the studio as Eunsun and her maids watched the news.

“We’ve been told that the king won’t be there for the moment and that there is to be no video recording taken place.”

“This is really bad,” Nicole said as Hara shuddered.

“It gives me the creeps,” Jiyoung grabbed the remote and turned the television off. Eunsun looked at her friends, for once she couldn’t think of something to help them feel better.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Well this chapter isn’t long. Stay with me if you’re getting bored. Because from this chapter onwards is where things will become interesting.