65. Cat and Mouse

Eunsun: A star for the king

Donggun was sitting at his desk. He was preparing himself for when he would deliver the decree to the king to have it passed. Timing, presentation and his reasons all had to be exact. His plan was he would present it to his royal majesty tonight once he could get the attention of the king alone. He was known to be very persuasive. It was a trait that not only pleased his sons but it also was one which his wife loved. “Honey,” his wife’s voice carried down the corridor to his office through the slightly ajar door. He let out a groan. He’d forgotten about the birthday party. He closed his laptop and turned off the lights so that Hyori wouldn’t think he was in. Like he suspected she walked past his office without a second glance. “Hmm, I thought he would be there,” she muttered to herself. He let out the breath he had been holding in.

Eunsun sat on the edge of Soo-yoon’s bed. She had just put the birthday girl to bed and was now double checking she was well and truly in slumber land.

“You will be a good mother,” Hodong remarked as he sat at the table with his newspaper.


“When the time comes,” Eunsun assured him, “I don’t think it’s soon though.”

“But you would want to be able to… Before you never can,” it took a moment but Eunsun realized what he meant. She went over to him putting a hand on his shoulder.


“Which is why God gave me to you; so you would be like my father.” These words touched Hodong to his very core. He took her hand and squeezed it.


“You’re very sweet,” he said his mouth in a smile. He was thankful in so many ways for her and trying to tell her would take almost a lifetime.

***

Youngmin was sitting in the chair in his and Eunsun’s living area. He was finishing up reading the reports for the day. The party had taken up much of his time so he had to make up for it in some way. The bad news was that Eunsun would probably not wait up for him. A servant entered and bowed to him at his chair.


“Your majesty, the Prime Minister is here. He wishes to speak to alone for a bit.” Youngmin nodded.


“I can give him half an hour at the most; would that suffice him?”

“I will go and find out for you your majesty,” the servant departed for a bit and then swiftly returned. “He says that he would only need fifteen minutes.”


“Send him in,” with that the servant took his final walk down the hall and let Donggun in. The Prime Minister walked with pride and confidence to Youngmin where he bowed before him.


“Take a seat,” Youngmin pointed to a chair opposite the sofa. Donggun obeyed and then adjusted his waist coat and tie. “So,” Youngmin tried to sound friendly but it was obvious that for one he was tired. And two he didn’t want to be bothered. “What can I do for you?”

“I promise sire that I will not take up a lot of your time.” Donggun opened up the portfolio he had made. “But I am here in regards to a very important matter. One which could put the vitality of the kingdom at high risk,” Youngmin shifted in his seat. “You may continue.” Donggun stood and bowed again before handing the portfolio to the king.


“As of recently I’ve been doing some underground research into a particular cult which has rules and beliefs which follow closely along the lines of treason.” Youngmin opened the papers and began to skim read. “What are some of these rules?”

“One is that they don’t worship anyone but their so-called God.” Donggun laughed with sarcastic bitterness, “can you imagine that?!”


“It’s not un-heard of.”


“But that isn’t the only thing.” Donggun said, “They don’t agree with the legalizing of abortions or ion. They think that killing an embryo is destroying human life and that in the act of ion that it defies the meaning of marriage and immorality. If these things were allowed in our society then we would get a recession in the slowly increasing rise of feminism as well as a more stable economy from legal .” Youngmin raised his eyebrows.

“The topic of abortion is still in debate at parliament,” Youngmin disagreed, “surely you would know that.”

“But that isn’t the only thing…. They hate gay people!” This caught the king’s attention.


“You can tell who these people are by facebook statuses. The things printed on their cups at work and even the t-shirts they wear to the beach! They show little to no respect to the values that are important to Korea and wish to destroy all those who they claim are evil to create a twisted little dystopia.” Donggun reached for the coffee table before him to slam a fist down on the wood, “they must be stopped before they get out of hand!” He waited for a response. Youngmin was still reading through the leaflets.


“This, Anti-Religious Society,” Youngmin was the pamphlet. “You’re saying that they would eliminate this threat?”

“More than anything else,” Donggun nodded, “you can arrest them and throw them in prison but it won’t eliminate them completely.” Donggun tapped his head with a finger, “you need to manipulate their thinking. See who out of them are the weakest in their faith and then separate them from the stronger more determined ones. If they can’t be cured they need to be killed.” Youngmin understood as he got to the end which was a legal document. “With your permission your highness; this organization will find and track these people for you. Then they will deal with them with the right tactics and force. All you have to do is sign there.” Youngmin read over the information, making sure he knew what it said.


“According to this, these people will be arrested, interrogated, tortured if they refuse to speak and then there is to be a group execution.”

 

“It’s for the sake of the kingdom,” the smile on Donggun’s face was sinister. Youngmin glanced at the paperwork and then at Donggun. He wished in that moment his beloved wife was next to him.

 

“Very well,” he lifted out a hand to receive a pen. With it he signed his name on the line. The fates of those people had now been sealed.

***

Donggun went back to his office with a grin on his face. He dialed the number to the organization and spoke to the chairman.

“It’s been approved. You may now move about and bring the Christians to the prison. The date of execution is to be February the twenty eighth.”

“Excellent, we will begin then.” With that Donggun hung up and went to find his wife. She was stretched out on their bed in her black night gown reading.


“So, did he say yes?” Donggun nodded taking his shoes off.


“Yes, soon they will be gone forever.” Hyori smiled and sat up.


“Well done my love. I like seeing a man who’s not afraid of being a bad boy. It’s quite appealing.” She didn’t have to say anymore before Donggun knew what she was thinking of.

“I’m glad you see it that way,” he ran a hand from her shoulder down her spine making her shiver, “because seeing you in that stirs me up in so many ways you already know of.” Hyori laughed and there was no more talking.

****************************************************************************************


O_o…. In another note Happy Easter! So now the question is: what happens next? Hmm I’m thinking of a filler chapter or two. Just to pass some of the long duration before the actual date of execution. The question is will I let anyone die?