54. Gift opening

Eunsun: A star for the king

She realized it was a box with a strange opening device for the lid. She stared at it intensely, hoping that she would figure it out. The door opened and the box fell onto the floor.

“Sorry about that, the palace called…Why aren’t you dressed yet?”

“Oh err,” Eunsun hurried back to the bed and picked up the dress, “I will go get ready now.”

“Don’t be long we have a table booked at seven thirty.” To Eunsun it sounded like Youngmin was a bit annoyed. She got dressed, clipped her hair back so it was off her face and applied some BB cream and a bit of lipstick and mascara.

“I’m ready,” she said emerging as she went to grab some heels.

“Good, good let’s go.” Youngmin was in a rush. Eunsun didn’t even have time to ask before he whirled her out of the door fifteen minutes later.

At dinner he wasn’t able to focus on Eunsun, he was fidgeting and distracted by something.

“What happened at the palace?” She asked.

“I don’t know,” Youngmin looked at the table, “Eric is having trouble trying to find out what is going on and Donggun is on a second honeymoon with Hyori in Japan.”

“I’m sure it will be fine—“

“--I don’t know that,” he cut her off with a sharp edge; Eunsun just sat quietly, looking at the menu.

***

When they got back to their room Youngmin sat on the couch, his head resting in his hand. Eunsun went over to him sitting at his feet cross legged.

“What are you doing?”

“I want to help,” she said wrapping her arms around his calf, hugging his leg, “but I don’t know how to.” Youngmin softened at her sweet gesture. He used the hand he had been leaning with to her hair.

“You have been, just by being here,” she lifted her head up to him. He bent forward and kissed her.

“How about we start to open those wedding gifts?” Eunsun smiled.

“Alright,” Youngmin stood up and helped his wife up too. They went to the crate and began to pick out a gift.

“What about this one?”

“It’s from that boy band you invited, what’s their name?”

“Beast,” Eunsun sat down beside Youngmin on the floor as he opened the card.

“Congratulations on your marriage, how a wonderful life together, love beast.”

“Aww they all signed it at the bottom.”

“Looks like their president signed it too,” Youngmin put his finger below the signature.

“I wonder what it is,” Youngmin picked up the basket and took off the plastic covering.

“Food,” Eunsun picked up boxes of pepporo, honey rice cakes and other delicacies.

“The dentist will be in business,” Youngmin joked as they put that aside and opened up some more. These gifts were from business owners, acquaintances of the royal family as well as childhood friends.

“Looks like your maids prepared something for you.”

“Oh did they? I didn’t want them to go to the trouble,” Eunsun opened the paper. Inside were two little bibs with ducks on them, one with a pink trim, the other blue.

“Aww these are so cute,” Eunsun held up, her smile wide. 

“They really want to be nannies,” Youngmin teased as he dropped them in the mole hill of baby clothes they’d already received.

“Now this is from your parents,” Eunsun showed the small wooden box. All Youngmin had to do was take the lid off. They both leaned in.

“They gave us oils?” Youngmin lifted out one which had tea tree in it while Eunsun found a booklet.

“Giving sensual massages…” She didn’t have to read the subtitle.

“Wow Kyung must have said something to them.” They looked at each other knowingly.

“Ok now we have a gift from your friends the Jung siblings.”

“Yunho and Jihye?” Eunsun opened the card, “blessings for you both oh, ha-ha.”

“What’s funny?”

“Yunho’s signature is huge,” Eunsun showed him the inside of the card.

“Wow that is big, and his sister’s is in the bottom,” Youngmin laughed alongside her. They then proceeded to open the package.

“Oh my gosh, that’s a lot of vitamins and minerals.”

“I didn’t think a worldwide hallyu star would buy nutrients.”

“Well it’s with his sister and it’s the thought that counts,” Eunsun added, “Besides you will need them for when you travel or stay up late and may end up getting sick.”

“Why else would I stay up late except for…?” They both felt themselves heat up in their cheeks.

“We shouldn’t be like this,” Eunsun said embarrassed, “we’re grown adults not children.”

“Right and I’ve been around Kyung enough to get use to the word ,” they stared at each other.

“Are you use to it yet?”

“Nope, are you?”

“No, I’m not,” there was an awkward silence.

“Shall we open the rest of the gifts?”

“I agree with you,” they put the box down and began to open the rest of the gifts.

***

“Wow people definitely want an heir to the throne soon,” Youngmin was referring to the large amount of baby clothing and equipment.

“I would say,” Eunsun agreed as they got up and stretched their legs.

“I think we need some dessert,” Youngmin decided with a gleam in his eyes, “I saw a dessert cart parked in the lobby, would you like some?”

“Sure,” Eunsun nodded, “thank you.” He left and Eunsun got back to opening the box. Suddenly the box fell to the floor and opened. She knelt down to examine the discovery. It was a piece of paper folded and sealed with something and a disc with a date on it. She lifted the disc up. It was a DVD. She looked at the television spotting the player. She turned it on, put the disc in and then sat back.

Eunsun had the urge to get up and turn it off. She saw it was the graves, there was a vicar standing with a Bible, Woori was in black looking serious.

“Is it on?” The vicar asked. Eunsun’s fist lay clenched in her lap.

“We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of a man and a woman. Not much is known about them except for their names and that in the short time they were here they befriended the couple that own this property.” Eunsun’s hand moved to hold her fist.

“Kang Kimni and Leehyun were believed to be kind people or so Jabez-sshi and Woori-sshi here told me. They lived in Seoul their whole lives except for when they came to the Lord.” Eunsun’s eyes were starting to become heavy.

“Grief is a difficult thing to live with,” the vicar continued, “the only other thing that was known about the couple is that they had only one child. A daughter whom they named Eunsun; I was told that they prayed for her safety in their remaining days.” Tears fell onto her dress, making the green darker.

“It is unfortunate how they passed away but now they are at peace and with the Lord. Like in Second Corinthians chapter five verse seventeen.” Eunsun couldn’t take it anymore. She rose to her feet going to turn it off.

“I’m back,” Youngmin called as he opened the door, coming in as Eunsun was about to turn the screen power off. Youngmin looked at the screen, being able to figure out what it was and then adding the last piece of the puzzle from Eunsun’s crying. He put the dessert on the table and cleared the floor in record time to her where she collapsed in his arms.

“Oh honey,” he soothed as she cried.

“It’s the funeral,” she said through sobs, “they managed to give them a proper farewell.” Youngmin made shushing noise as he picked up the remote and pressed off. He was going to say more but then he felt that it wouldn’t be right. She stopped crying not long after.

“I guess it doesn’t hurt as much as it use to,” she said wiping her eyes.


“Some people take a long time to get over it,” Youngmin pushed hair off her face, “but you have done well at now letting it run you down.” She nodded.

“It’s because I have you,” she said resting her head against his chest. He placed a kiss on her temple.

“Come on let’s have something to eat,” he suggested and they both got up and went to the plates and handed Eunsun one with hers. They both sat side by side as they ate their dessert, the sweetness softening and removing the sad atmosphere that was there before.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Aww and we’re reminded again about Eunsun’s parents. Imagine having to watch a funeral on your honeymoon and my subscribers are probably going to be thinking, ‘I can’t believe you!’ And ‘you are so cruel ;_;’ but it was about time we saw what was in the package though we have yet to see what the paper contains. Shall I leave you in suspense or reveal it in the next chapter?