3. Abduction

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Eunsun-ah we seem to be out of cabbage,” HoDong called from the kitchen disturbing his niece while she was reading.

“Oh ok I’ll go to the shops then.” She got out of her chair.

“This late? Umm we can go without it tonight…” HoDong watched uneasily as Eunsun grabbed her bag and a jersey which she pulled over her blouse and jeans.

“It’s alright Uncle, I will be back in half an hour.”

“Stay safe,” he added as he went back to chopping vegetables.

***

The walk to the local grocery store was only ten minutes away from their home but knowing Eunsun she would spend time browsing in case she saw something that she thought they needed.

“How are you Eunsun-sshi?” The middle aged woman said to her at the counter.

“Good thank you,” she bowed to her elder and picked up a basket. She scanned the shelves, got the cabbage, some brown rice which would help her Uncle’s diet as well as some fruit which she enjoyed.

“Thank you,” the woman told Eunsun after she had paid.

“Have a good night,” Eunsun said to her as she stepped through the door.
***

The walk home was quiet, it was dark and there was very few street lights that were actually working. She heard something so stopped to look behind. Shivers were starting to run down her spine. The low hum of a car motor came into view. There was no license plate; it was a black Mercedes the latest version to come out. The car pulled up onto the curb close to her, stopping her. Something was wrong. She her heels to go back the way she came when a car door opened. There was two other doors opening and she heard footsteps. She picked up the pace and started to run when the footsteps got closer. She was grabbed from behind and knocked to the ground. The groceries spread on the sidewalk. Someone grabbed her arms and twisted them behind her back.

“Are you a resident in this area?” A voice snarled in her ear.

“No I live a few blocks down…” She whimpered as they got her to stand with her arms behind her back.

“You are to come with us,” a man told her in a black suit with aviator shades covering his eyes, “if you don’t it will be a court offense.”

“W-what?” She was dragged to the car and had her hands tied behind her back before they pushed her in. Her head hit the inside of the opposite car door and she sat dazed. The men got in and the driver radioed someone, “We have the seventy eighth candidate. We will take her to the palace.”

“P-palace--?” But before she could elaborate a cloth was placed to her face and she was out cold.

***

HoDong was watching out for his niece who was late from her trip.

“I’d better call the police…” He got up to the phone and began to dial the number when a car pulled up to his house. He went to the front where a black Mercedes was parked and two men were getting out.

“Are you the guardian or family of this woman?” A window was wound down revealing an unconscious.

“Eunsun-ah,” he tried to go to her but the men blocked her. HoDong growled.

“What do you want with her?” He barked angrily, “is it money? If you give me a second then I will go inside and write you a cheque.”

“It isn’t money we are here for,” the speaker turned back to the car, “she is one of the hundred girls chosen to be a candidate for the next queen of Korea.”

“What? But how don’t they have to be nominated?!” HoDong demanded, “I didn’t suggest my own niece! She’s like a daughter to me. What would I do with myself if I let go into such a competition? It would be too tough on her.”

“Well we were informed about an attractive young woman who lived here and it’s our job to bring them to the palace.” HoDong sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.

“If we don’t take her then you are at risk of being sentenced to prison for ten years and a fifty thousand won fine for disrupting the business of the king.”

“Aish would his majesty agree to do things in such a manner…” HoDong sighed, “I don’t have a choice do I?”

“We can do this the hard or the easy way,” the man continued, “we need a bag of her belongings. They need to be able to be washed.” HoDong went inside and packed some of his niece’s clothes. He the suitcase at one of the men.

“Is that enough?”

“That will be fine, if she’s unsuccessful then she will be returned along with her things.”

“What do you mean if…?”

“It’s a one in hundred chance that your niece will be crowned queen and if she is then you will be rewarded for your efforts of raising her.” HoDong blinked in astonishment, he looked at his niece with teary eyes.

“Please don’t hurt her,” he said stuttering a bit through the emotions.

“Have a good night,” they bowed to him and got back to their car. HoDong looked up at the night sky and wiped his eyes.

“Please God protect my Eunsun-ee, may she read the note I left in her suitcase.”

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hmm not the way you’d want to go to a palace would you? Well get ready for the next chapter as Eunsun learns about the competition she involuntarily entered.