20. Slowly coming back

Eunsun: A star for the king

Donggun stood from his chair the moment Eric entered his office and came to him. A punch went straight to Donggun’s chin which he blocked by clasping his hand over Eric’s fist. Eric looked up at Donggun.

“I wouldn’t try anything if I were you,” Donggun applied pressure to his grasp, the sound of Eric’s fingers starting to crack.

“Y-you…” Eric groaned in pain as Donggun started to crush his fingers.

“What was your purpose by coming here? Hoping to scare me off? Make me pack my bags and leave?” Donggun pushed forward releasing Eric sending him to the ground.

“You are a mean son of a—“

“Oh haven’t I heard that one before?” Donggun folded his arms to emphasize the sarcasm, “it’s not me who kissed the king’s leading lady.”

“Jerk,” Eric spat on Donggun’s carpet, “I didn’t want him to know and he didn’t need to.”

“So you were happy to lie and go behind his back just for the sake of his reputation?” Donggun raised his eyebrows, “if I didn’t know any better Eric-sshi I would say you are a worse person that I am.”  Eric looked defeated as he sat up, it seemed that he realized the accurate truth in Donggun’s statement.

“You’re right,” he said head hanging, “I am the worst kind of person. I should have stayed away like I should have…” He looked up at Donggun, “but… There’s something about Eunsun-sshi that I can’t describe. It’s this beauty that is really hard to find and purity too.”

“You’re speaking to a married man,” Donggun spun his wedding ring around his finger, “you stepped out of line. I expect you will be leaving the palace soon.” Eric stood, holding his hand which was starting to throb.

“And even when I am gone,” Eric began, “I pray that you will not take my position because even his majesty deserves someone better than both of us.” He left closing the door behind him.

***
“I’m sorry to hear that,” HoDong patted his niece on the shoulder after telling him what happened that night.

“I feel awful to Eric and to his majesty,” Eunsun admitted adjusting her long skirt as they sat on the bench, “they shouldn’t have had me come between them like that.”

“These things happen,” HoDong assured her, “and if I know the king from the little I’ve spoken to him I don’t think he will fire Eric because of that. He’s a king; he knows that Eric is the best person to be his assistant.” Eunsun nodded.

“I hope so uncle,” she said as he squeezed her hand, “Eric doesn’t deserve to go.”

“How are you HoDong-sshi?” They looked over to their left to see Youngmin standing there. HoDong looked at his niece.

“Evening your majesty.”

“How is the catering business going?” He asked while Eunsun avoided his gaze.

“Good thank you,” HoDong looked at Eunsun, “did you want to speak to him?” Eunsun shook her head.

“I’m not angry at you,” Eunsun felt a weight being lifted off her, “Eric let his emotions get the better of him and I’m not going to fire him.” Eunsun watched the king’s face.

“He has been my friend for a long time. I would not throw that away for any mistake that I or he make.”

“How long have you known him for?” HoDong asked, suddenly curious.

“Since we were in college,” HoDong nodded when his mouth slightly ajar, “we both were studying business and international relations. This was back when no one knew who I was. Eric was studying abroad and spoke little to no English. Through that we able to become friends and when I came back to Korea I was introduced to him and he decided to apply for the position as my assistant.” Youngmin smiled as he added, “people began to believe that because of my friendship with him that was why I hired him but it’s more because he has an intricate attention to detail and organizational skills that make him outstanding in his area of work.” Eunsun and HoDong nodded.

“HoDong-sshi is it alright if I spoke with Eunsun-sshi alone?” HoDong had to check with his niece before he could agree.

“Is that alright with you?” Eunsun faltered, she didn’t feel too comfortable but with the way the king was watching her made it feel like he was desperate for her attention. She nodded, “please don’t be far away uncle.”

“She’s all yours,” HoDong patted Eunsun on the back winked at the king as he went for a walk around the perimeter of the garden. Youngmin walked over to Eunsun and gingerly sat on the bench.

“Did Eric mean to do what he did that night?” Eunsun nodded, remorseful that she had to confirm it to him.

“I see,” Hwang leaned back against the spine of the chair breathing out slow and forced.”Do you… Have feelings towards Eric-ee?” Eunsun got up from the chair.

“I don’t think this is appropriate to talk about your highness…” She took a step forward, a hand latched onto her wrist. Eunsun turned to the king who was holding onto her like a young child would hold his mother’s wrist. He let go letting his hand sit on his knee with the other.

“If you do… Then I understand and will send you home. Better things are done the right way than cause a scandal that would ruin yours and Eric’s reputation.” Eunsun’s eyes began to fill with tears, she didn’t know why. Was it because the king was being so kind despite his personal affections towards her or was it from knowing how much stress the situation may have caused him and Eric?

“I… I would rather just do the right thing and wait until after the dinner date to be sent packing,” Eunsun wiped her eyes with the back of her sleeve, “I’ve caused my Uncle enough grief already, I would be a fool to leave now.” Youngmin nodded.

“That’s what I like about you, Eunsun-sshi. You care for your uncle and for others more than a lot of the women here would ever do for their own blood relatives.” Eunsun took his words in nodding gently.

“I’m going to get my uncle now,” she said bowing to him and leaving. Youngmin stood up and pulled his shirt down to go off. Donggun shifted from his hiding place.

“Poor Eric,” he said with mocking sarcasm, “it seems that woman is nobler than people make her out to be. At least she’s making things interesting here,” he stretched his legs and signaled to one of the guards, “keep your eye on her. The moment she slips up let me know.”

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry this isn’t long. I’ve run out of steam LOL it’s hard updating four stories almost at once so I had to have a break yesterday and just read. I’m reading ‘My emotional Rollercoaster I call Life with Super Junior.’ Yes there are things I don’t agree with when it comes to the lead but it’s interesting and shows a caring side of Siwon that his fans all love. It’s long though I wonder how long this one will end up being LOL. Thank you for reading.