41. Getting back up

Eunsun: A star for the king

“How is she?” Eric asked when Youngmin appeared closing the door behind him.

“She’s asleep,” Youngmin told them walking to the bench and taking a sip of his drink.

“I see,” HoDong wiped his eyes, “sorry to be so down right now…”

“It’s alright,” Youngmin patted him on the back, “today must have been very hard for you both.” Their other companions nodded.

“What happened?” Donggun asked before Eric glared at him.

“They were murdered…” Hyori let out a gasp while Donggun cursed.

“How horrible,” Eric shuddered, “I’m so sorry HoDong ahjussi.”

“Don’t be, these things happen sometimes,” HoDong sighed, “besides there isn’t anything we can do.”

“Can’t we find the killers?”

“Eric…”

“What? Aren’t I right? Can’t we get the chief of police to investigate or something?”

“It’s not that simple. They’ve been gone for a long time,” Donggun explained, “Any evidence may prove to lead them on a ghost trail.”

“But still…” Eric realized he had a point.

“We know,” Youngmin said, “you care for Eunsun-ah… We all do.” Donggun and Hyori were surprised they were included.

“I’m going to see how she is,” Youngmin went back to the door. “She may have woken up.”

“Thank you,” Youngmin stopped, turning to HoDong, “for caring for her.” Youngmin nodded.

“It’s alright. I love her after all,” HoDong nodded in understanding as he left.

Youngmin knocked on the door lightly but Eunsun didn’t stir, he went into the room and sat on the edge of her bed, she was sleeping soundly. He pushed some hair away from her face and touched her cheek with a finger. He drew his finger back it was wet. He then realized she had started crying shortly after he left.

“I hate seeing you like this my love,” he crooned as he used his thumb to wipe the water away, “please smile for me soon.” He leaned forward and kissed her on the side of her brow.

“Sweet dreams,” he added as he got up and went back with the others.

***

That evening she woke, stomach empty and her head slightly fuzzy from the crying. She couldn’t remember the last time she had felt this tired. It might have been when she over stretched.

“Ah you’re awake,” Donggun greeted her as she joined them next door. Eric came over to her giving her one of his hugs.

“How are you?” He asked before he let her go.

“Better thanks,” Eunsun admitted, “but I’m hungry.” This made them all smile.

“His majesty…Youngmin –ah is getting the dinner,” Donggun assured her.

“Out in the open?” Eunsun had to clench her jersey tighter, “won’t he be recognized?”

“That’s why he’s wearing a beanie,” Eric told her, “so he won’t be.” She nodded as she took a seat near HoDong.

“Have you opened that gift yet?” He said in a low voice when the others weren’t paying attention. Eunsun had forgotten about it. Someone knocked on the door.

“Message for Kang Eunsun-sshi,” the bell boy announced. Eunsun went to him.

“Thank you,” she read it.

“Hara is in the area tomorrow and wants to catch up,” she smiled, “I’d better give her a call.”

“Good idea use the phone here,” Eric told her.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes it goes on the palaces expenses.” Eunsun didn’t like this idea but she picked up the receiver anyway.

“Hello Hara-ah? Good how about you? I’m calling because I got your message. Ok so at ten thirty tomorrow? Sure I think I know where that is. Alright I’ll see you then, bye.” She hung up the phone.

“Got plans for tomorrow?” Hyori asked.

“Uh huh, I’m going to a coffee shop not too far away from here.”

“That should help keep your mind off…” Eric covered his mouth. “Sorry Eunsun-ah.”

“No harm done,” Eunsun assured him but was she right?

***

The next morning at nine thirty Eunsun got dressed in a purple turtleneck jumper, some dark jeans and a pair of black boots with a small heel. She hoped it wasn’t snowing otherwise she would risk breaking an ankle. She got her thick jacket, tied her hair into a ponytail, applied some BB cream and mascara and was on her way.

“I’m off,” she said to them stopping by.

“Say hi to Hara-ah for me,” HoDong smiled.

“Stay safe,” Eric added as Soo-yoon rushed over to her and hugged her.

‘Bye eomma,’ she signed causing Eunsun to smile. Hwang went over to her.

“Have a good time,” he said. She nodded squeezing his hand before leaving.

She was in a pickle. She wasn’t very good with her directions and was now standing in the middle of the street not knowing where to go. She had the place name written down but hadn’t been told where exactly it was. She took a deep breath.

“God what do I do?” She said to herself breathing in and out.

“Noona is that you?” She stopped that voice. It was too familiar.

“Funny place for you to be standing,” she moved around to see Yunho watching her.

“Yunho-sshi,” she bowed to him.

“Aish I should be the one bowing,” he did one for addressing royalty; his arm across his chest.

“Please don’t worry about it,” Eunsun was getting embarrassed, “I’m not queen yet.”

“So what brings you here?” He asked, “you’re fiancée with you?”

“No I’m meeting with a friend,” she glanced around, “somewhere.”

“You’re lost?” She nodded.

“Where do you need to be?” She handed him the piece of paper.

“Oh I know where that is, come with me.”

“Wait,” Eunsun began to follow as he started to walk with long strides, “are you sure?”

“Yeah I’m free for the next couple of hours,” Yunho glanced at his watch. Eunsun smiled.

“Christmas gift?”

“Yeah from Jihye-ah,” Eunsun nodded. They kept walking until they reached the coffee shop. Hara got out of her chair to hug Eunsun.

“Unnie how are you?”

“Good what about you; you look good.”

“Thank you,” Hara was in a denim jacket with a leopard print dress and black stockings. She was in a pair of brown ankle boots.

“Oh yeah,” Eunsun turned to Yunho, “would you know Yunho-sshi? He’s from Gwangju too. Yunho-sshi this is Hara-ah she is one of my maids and close friends.” Yunho gave his trademark grin.

“Nice to meet you,” Hara lowered her head shyly.

“Nice to meet you too, I like Dong Bang Shin Ki,” she told him.

“Keep listening to our music,” Yunho told her.

“Did you want to join us?” Hara offered, Eunsun was pleased Hara had thought ahead. Yunho glanced around.

“Any fan girls?”

“Not from what I can see.”

“Good then I’ll stay,” the two girls smiled as they all sat down at the table, Hara and Eunsun faced each other while Yunho was sitting on Eunsun’s left, Hara’s right with his back to the window.

“Have a good Christmas?” Hara asked while they glanced at the beverage list.

“Umm yeah it was good, what about yours?”

“Yeah it was nice seeing my family and friends again,” Hara turned to Yunho, “what about yours Yunho-sshi?”

“Yeah a nice break from all the flying, performing and fans,” he smirked, “shame though I have to fly back tonight.”

“That is a pity,” the other two agreed.

“Yeah but I’m grateful for the break. Normally we don’t get so much time off but our CEO was feeling generous this time.” They all ordered something and then relaxed a bit more

“So Eunsun,” Hara closed her lips before continuing, “any break through on your…?” She fell silent. Yunho looked at Eunsun with question.

“It’s ok Hara-ah,” she told her, “Ask it.”

“Any break through with your family?” Eunsun’s body glued itself rigid in the chair. Yunho raised his eyebrows as they both waited for her to react.

“There is…” Her voice sounded strange and foreign to her ears, “we found them. They are here in Gwangju…” The other two looked at her confused.

“But then why are you so…?”

“But…” She gave a sigh, “—they are no longer alive.” Hara let out a small gasp covering . Yunho said something in a quiet voice but no one could make out what it was.

“I’m sorry unnie,” Hara apologized, Eunsun shook her head.

“It’s alright,” Eunsun swallowed, “it just happened…” She felt a hand on her shoulder giving it a squeeze. She turned to her side to see it was Yunho.

“When did you find out?” He asked gently.

“Yesterday,” it was his turn to let out a breath.

“How long have they been….?”

“A few days after they disappeared which was eighteen years ago.”

“Wow, that is a long time,” Hara admitted sadly, “do you know how it happened…?” Eunsun’s eyes pricked with tears. Without much tact she held them back.

“—The people who found them said someone had shot them…” She wiped her eyes.

“Here,” Yunho offered her a tissue. She gratefully took and dabbed her eyes.

“I’m sorry,” she said trembling, “I thought I was done crying over it.”

“Some things take time,” Hara said to her, “you had been without them for so long. It was natural to want them alive and well.”

“Exactly and the news is still fresh so crying about it is fine,” Yunho added, “it doesn’t mean you’re a coward or weak. It means you’ve being brave about showing how you feel.”

“But still,” Eunsun sniffed, her eyes still glistening, “crying here isn’t exactly the best place.”

“Do you want me to start crying?” Yunho offered pretending to comically bawl. Eunsun and Hara laughed.

“Haven’t you been wanting to… Cry?” Hara’s question bought back the serious mood.

“To be honest,” Yunho was looking at the floor, “I have, but…I have to keep it together; for Changmin-ah’s sake.”

“It still must hurt,” Eunsun said, “the whole thing.”

“Sometimes it does,” Yunho said lifting his head, “but I’ve moved on and been able to forgive them for what happened,” he breathed out as he added, “if only I could forgive myself.”

“You will be able to,” Eunsun told him, “ask God for help if you get stuck.” Yunho managed to smile.

“Funny how our roles reversed just a moment ago,” he joked.

“I’m still a noona to you so behave,” Eunsun warned but ended up smiling too along with Hara. Yunho’s phone beeped off.

“Hmm,” he checked it, “I seem to be taking an earlier flight; I have to go and pack,” he got out of his chair.

“Sorry to do this,” he apologized, “stay healthy until I see you both again.”

“Same for you,” Eunsun nodded.

“Have a good flight,” Hara told him. He went around to them and gave quick hugs. This startled the girls but they didn’t tell him.

“Bye,” he waved as he left. When he was out of ear shot Hara bounced her eyebrows.

“Oh, not you too!” Eunsun scolded.

“It’s cute, he seems to enjoy your company.”

“Well it’s nothing like that,” Eunsun stated, “I would never betray Hwang-ah. I’d rather call off the engagement than cheat on him.”

“Would you?” Eunsun didn’t expect Hara to actually ask.

“It’s the same as if you were in the same position with Junhyung.”

“Ok I think I get it, sorry unnie.”

“I don’t mind you asking me but the public may look down upon me if anything similar was to happen,” she stirred her coffee, “besides I love Hwang-ah.”

“Aww that is cute,” Hara clapped, “we were wondering when you were going to say it.”

“Haven’t I already?” Eunsun was surprised.

“Umm… I can’t remember.”

“Me neither,” they looked sheepishly at each other.

“Well let’s enjoy the coffee and talk about something else.”

“Good idea.”

*************************************************************************************************************
Yeah I couldn’t resist putting Yunho in again… My admiration for him kind of dimmed down recently thanks to Eunhyuk but now I’m falling for him all over again. Hehe don’t worry I don’t expect to marry him but anyway… Hope we liked this despite the possible EunHo pairing suspicions. (Jealous he hugged her…. But this is fiction, does this make me strange?)