24. The Date of a Lifetime

Eunsun: A star for the king

It seemed to be the longest walk that Eunsun had ever been on in her entire life. She was taken to the courtyard and taken to the gardens. They stopped at the beginning where there was a trail of paper butterflies on the grass.

“You are to follow…The butterflies.” The guard had trouble saying it with a straight face, “reminds me of ‘why do we have to follow the spiders? Why can’t it be follow the butterflies?” He chuckled at his joke until he saw Eunsun was watching him in confusion.

“Umm never mind,” she gave a small bow and began to walk beside the trail relieved that her shoes weren’t sinking into the earth. As she walked past the flower beds she noticed something different about them. She stopped for a moment to take a closer look. There were several strands of rainbow lights laid out amongst the flowers sparkling like rainbow fallen stars. Eunsun smiled at how beautiful it looked and then she remembered where she was going. She found the trail and kept walking next to it.

She came to a set of archways where there was a single strand of fairy lights woven among the beams twinkling down on her. The trail led under so she walked under it to the other side. She stopped as the trail led to a lake that she had no idea existed. There was a small waterfall and lily pads laced the edges. The trail circled around the lake to the other side where she spotted a table and two chairs and someone standing in wait.

She walked around the lake, the light of the stars in the sky illuminating the water which reflected onto her dress. She came closer realizing the person was Youngmin standing in a black tuxedo with a light blue tie. He seemed stiff in his posture with his back straight, hands held behind him. As soon as he recognized her face his face immediately softened.

“Eunsun,” his tender greeting her sent pleasant shivers up her spine. She tried to look him straight in the eye but it was hard. He had this power over her.

She bowed to him, hoping that formality would ease the pressure she was feeling. “Your majesty. Thank you for choosing this place.It’s a lovely place to have a meal.”

He indicated to the table where he pulled the chair out for her to sit down. She thanked him with a shy smile and got comfortable while he took a seat. A small candle stood on the table in a blue jar giving off the same colored light that shone onto the black table cloth.

“Would you like some wine?” He asked indicating to the bottle in the bucket with the ice that a waiter was walking towards them with. Eunsun was going to decline. She didn’t really drink but that was because she wasn't able to hold alcohol well.

“Sure,” she said giving her first fake smile as the waiter popped the cork. He poured some into Youngmin’s goblet before putting some in hers. He held his up and she moved hers towards his.

“Cheers,” he said as the glasses clinked gently. They both took a drink. The king took a large drink while Eunsun had a timid sip. The alcohol seemed to tickle and going to her head. The best way to combat it's influence was for her to quickly drink some water.

“Shall we eat?” Youngmin asked as he took out his serviette and placed it on his lap. Eunsun did the same. She nodded as she tried to ignore the light headedness that made her feel giddy. Youngmin whispered to the waiter and he left.

 Eunsun breathed looking up at the sky sparkling with stars like fabric with sequins sewed on it. “It’s beautiful out here,”

“Yes you are,” Eunsun stopped short; not sure if she heard him actually say that. The waiter appeared pushing a trolley with two plates. He handed a plate to Eunsun which was of a salad with seafood while Youngmin had a lobster with some salad. They both picked up their cutlery and began to eat. For once Eunsun couldn’t say grace.

***

“How’s the food?” Youngmin asked in the middle of their meal. Eunsun picked up a piece of prawn she had cut before and put it in . She chewed easily until she heard a crunch. They had missed some of the shell. Now she had to choose. Face possible humiliation of having to spit out the chewed food or to hide what she’s discovered. She took a deep breath and swallowed, wincing for a second as the shell scraped the side of .

“Are you alright?” Youngmin asked as she drank water with  to soothe the pain her face slightly scrunched up from wincing.

“This is delicious,” she quickly told him smiling again. Youngmin nodded as he continued to eat. They finished their meals and had a break before dessert.

Youngmin seemed to be somewhat remorseful as he spoke about the location.“If I’d known that you were number seventy four I may have gone to more effort and picked a restaurant I like.” 

Eunsun shook her head. “Its fine,” she reassured him, “you couldn’t have chosen a lovelier place.”

This made him smile with relief. “Would you like some more wine?” Eunsun was going to decline but then felt it wouldn’t be so bad now that she’d eaten. She held her glass to him and he poured her some more. She was able to take this sip better than the first one so she silently thanked God for that.

“Tell me Eunsun… Do you have something you would like to do one day? Somewhere you would like to go? What is your ultimate dream?” Eunsun looked back at the king, she honestly didn’t know. Yes there was being close to her Uncle, helping him in any way she could and even a floristry but then there was also her parents and wanting to find out where they were and love… She wanted to fall in love.

“Well… To be honest your majesty, I am not quite sure at the moment.”

“Then say the first one that appeals to you the most or the one you know and feel that is right for you.”

Eunsun looked down at her lap as she thought it over more deeply. “My ultimate dream; the one thing I want more in the world…Is to become a mother.” She lifted her gaze, cheeks starting to burn from embarrassment. Surely she wasn’t the only one who said that to him before.

“You know,” Youngmin began leaning forward to her, “I’ve asked all the ladies that question on my dates with them and you’re the only one who’s said that. After business ventures or becoming the most beautiful woman in the whole world.”

“You probably were expecting a more selfless answer,” Eunsun replied wetting her lips. “Such as, helping out those struck by poverty in other countries or even feeding the homeless…”

“Those who said things along those lines were just reading scripts from press conferences that Chayune attended.” Youngmin seemed disappointed as he reflected on their answers. “They couldn’t think what they really wanted to do. No matter how selfish it could have sounded.”

“But they only wished to please you!” Eunsun argued.

It was a dangerous statement. His expression darkened slightly. “And you…Is that why you wore that dress? Used that perfume?” Eunsun froze. She couldn’t say anything to disagree. It was true, she wanted to please him. But now it seemed more of a disadvantage than advantage.

“Kang Eunsun you are like a double sided coin. One moment you’re selfless and happy as you are the next you conform and become a people pleaser. Why can’t you choose one side and stay with it?!” Youngmin’s eyes widened and he realised the implications of his short tempered words birthed from annoyance.

Eunsun felt a lump in , her sight began to get blurry but if she cried it would have made a mess. Her voice was soft, pained as she spoke. “Is that how you really feel your highness...? If that is so then I've not only failed to gain your affections but also let myself down for saying that the best person I can be is myself. I’m sorry for disappointing you that wasn’t my intention. I'll leave now.” She got out and pushed her chair back. The waiter arrived with desert but the king had quickly moved from his seat, hurrying after his date.

 

Youngmin caught up with her as was just entering the archway. “Eunsun please wait for me!” She didn't wait and so he ran the rest of the way. He caught her by the arm, his strong hand moving down her forearm to touch hers.

"Please don't walk away," his voice was gentle and pleading. He laced his fingers through hers. “I'm sorry. I spoke harshly and judged you unfairly." Eunsun used a hand to dab her wet eyes carefully.

“It doesn’t matter if you apologise to me.” She bit her lip to prevent a sob. “You were right about me. I wanted to change and I thought I was doing the right thing but I was mistaken…” Youngmin put a hand on her cheek making her look up at him.

“I should have been looking closer. You are the same from when I first met you. And the same as when I  fell in love with you.”

The words caused Eunsun's heart to skip a beat. She found herself unable to stare elsewhere as their eyes were interlocked tightly. Youngmin seemed to study her face for a moment before he started to lower his face down to hers . Eunsun took a deep breath as his hand moved to the back of her head. It was a long kiss but it had an amazing power and emotion behind it. All of Eunsun's fear and hurt started to be washed away from his touch. The king's heart resounded joyfully and triumphantly.

When they pulled away Youngmin’s face shifted from the tender expression he just had. Eunsun’s eyes shimmered with emotion as the king stepped away. He lowered his hand away from her.

“You should go.” Youngmin said breathing out as he ran a hand over his forehead.

She waited for him to explain. He made no sign he was going to. She nodded and bowed to him.

“Thank you for tonight,”  she began to walk back, her heart pounding. Youngmin returned to the table where the waiter was standing with the dessert in his hands.

“Send that back to the kitchen,” he said waving a hand to send th man away. As he stood alone by the lake he watched the water ripple and the fish rise to the surface for a few seconds.

“What have I done?” He sighed before hanging his head down in distress at his puzzling reaction.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ok reactions please? Were we happy? Excited? Pissed? LOL I bet someone is thinking she should have stayed for dessert! Let’s see what happens next time.