64. An uninvited party guest: doubt

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Unnie a boy stuck bubble gum in my hair!” Gyuri wailed to Eunsun who was sitting on a chair painting children’s faces.

“Uh no again?” Eunsun sighed as she put the paint brush down, “the party hasn’t even been running for an hour.” She gestured for Gyuri to come over to her and show her where it was. “Ah,” she was sympathetic, “the ends of your hair will have to be trimmed but fortunately it won’t be a lot.”


“Phew,” Gyuri breathed out in relief as she excused herself. The children started to complain. “Can you get Nicole-ah to come too?” Eunsun called to Gyuri, “she was meant to take over five minutes ago!”

“No problem,” Gyuri saluted and skipped away. Eunsun couldn’t help but smile. All six of them were in gingham dresses. Gyuris was red with one shoulder and a red bow around the waist. Nicole and Jiyoung had black with the difference being Jiyoung’s pattern was larger and Nicole’s had a shirt collar. Seungyeon was in a light green one and Hara had a purple one with a halter neck.  Eunsun’s dress was pink and had a square neck. It was to match the pink gingham shirt the king was wearing. It would be the only time he was ever caught in such a color.


“I hate horses! They’re messy, clumsy things!” Eric muttered as he stomped over to where Eunsun was sitting; stopping to lift up a foot for an examination.

“Step in poo oppa?”


“Yes I did step in s***,” Eunsun hit him with much gusto. He nearly lost his balance.


“Eric! This is a children’s party! Hold your tongue!”

“My bad,” Eric said as some boys stared at him with wide mouths, “who are they again?”

“They are the second cousins on his mother’s side.” She reminded him. “Either their mothers’, sisters’, sons’ or…”

“Right I get it,” Eric put his nose to the sole of his shoe to sniff, “whew I did indeed.”


“There you two are!” They turned to see Hyori strut over to them in her blue vintage dress with pink heels, “I was starting to think I would have to run the pass the parcel game by myself.”

“Isn’t Seungyeon and Hara with you?” Eunsun frowned.


“They are but Hara’s on the phone to her boyfriend again.” Hyori paused to roll the eyes, “God knows how long she’s going to be. Seungyeon is trying to help, but she hasn’t much experience with kids.”

“Right,” Eunsun glanced at Eric, “do you still have that checklist to do?”

“I only have to see how the birthday girls’ dad is doing in regards to his performance plus the cake. Your uncle should be with the baker now.”

“Then can you help out Hyori for a moment?” Eunsun put her arm on Hyori’s shoulders, “just until Hara gets off the phone?”

“I’ll break it for you if you want.” Eunsun shook her head, making tut noises at the same time. “No, you’re being a bad influence to the kids.”


“Alright fine,” Eric reluctantly did as Eunsun asked with Hyori chatting away about the rules of the game. Eunsun checked the time on the large clock that was posted in the middle of the party area. It was a rainbow clock. The face was green, the biggest hand purple. The smallest hand red, the numbers were blue. The tower it was standing in was a combination of pink and white stripes with the smiley faces’ nose, eyes and mouth on the clock a bright orange.


“Sorry unnie,” Nicole bowed in apology as she came over, “Gyuri asked me to help her with her hair.” That explained the delay then.

“Oh dear, did you manage to get the gum out?”

“Yes, but now her hair is an inch shorter than normal,” Nicole giggled, “we have yet to find the culprit who—“

“Yah give me that gum!” They were interrupted for a moment to watch an infuriated Gyuri chase a boy through the party. The child was running and laughing at the same time. Gyuri was struggling to catch him in her heeled pumps. “That answers that then,” Eunsun stated with the two starting to laugh.


“Hey unnie,” Nicole had a sudden thought before Eunsun left to see to the transporting of the presents, “Donggun ahjussi was meant to help wasn’t he?” Eunsun paused. She hadn’t been in his office since that day. Those three letters were still haunting her.


“I’m… I’m not sure.” Nicole frowned.


“Hmm, wouldn’t you know unnie?” She suspected something, “you have been weird these few weeks. Is there something you need to tell us?” Eunsun hadn’t said anything to anyone.


“I should be alright,” she told Nicole, “maybe he’s in his office again.”

“Fair enough,” Nicole then sat and talked to a girl who wanted a butterfly on her right cheek. Eunsun left the party for a while to gather her thoughts. If Nicole knew something was wrong, then who else knew too? Did her husband see it too?

***

Youngmin was sitting on a bar stool tuning his guitar. He was humming away as he twisted the ends which would either loosen or tighten the steel strings. He was in the pink gingham shirt which matched the shade of his wife’s dress.

“Youngmin-ah,” Eric called walking over to him, “shall I bring the kids now?” Youngmin nodded.

“Of course I’m ready,” Eric gave him thumbs up and he hurried off to find the guests and the other staff. They all soon joined around the bar stool on picnic rugs. The kids were handed sandwiches by the servants while Eunsun’s maids, Eunsun and her Uncle sat with them to keep them settled.

“Good afternoon,” Youngmin greeted the kids.

“Good afternoon your majesty,” the fifty something children all bowed in unison to him except for Soo-yoon who didn’t have to.
“Are you ready for a song?” He asked and all the kids said “yes.” He then started to play some chords and began to sing a familiar tune. Eunsun’s mouth drew into a smile as she recognized the song:
during my past childhood, i dreamt a beautiful dream about riding a balloon and flying
if a red balloon flies in the sky, my heart remembers beautiful memories

my dream as a child was to ride a red balloon and fly high into the sky
 i forgot about that small dream and lived till now because i grew up too much

 but when i’m miserable i want to run around and play like a child
 filling a balloon full of my small dreams

during my past childhood, i dreamt a beautiful dream about riding a balloon and flying
if a red balloon flies in the sky, my heart remembers beautiful memories

 why do my tears fall? When i look at the sky i can't find the answer
 i wonder why you forgot the tiny childhood when you become an adult

 at times i too want to just fly high into the sky
 with my forgotten dreams and memories

 during my past childhood, i dreamt a beautiful dream about riding a balloon and flying
 if a red balloon flies in the sky, my heart remembers beautiful memories

 lal-la-la-la-la.. Lal-lal-lal-la la-la-la
 though time passes
 though i forgot
will it be possible to contain it in the yellow balloon

during my past childhood, i dreamt a beautiful dream about riding a balloon and flying
if a red balloon flies in the sky, my heart remembers beautiful memories.

The children clapped along with the song; some tried to sing along to parts that they knew while the five maids sang with their amazing voices. Eunsun wasn’t much of a singer so she just waved along with the four kids that did.

“Yay,” they all clapped for him when he finished. “Encore!”

“Not yet,” Youngmin stopped them, “but first. I would like to dedicate a song to my beautiful wife and daughter who are both the most important people in my life.” He gestured for them to come forward. Eunsun found Soo-yoon and they went to the front and were asked to stand beside him but not too close.

“This song is one I wrote to show the love I have for them both.” The children started to make puking noises which alarmed the helpers but Youngmin just laughed it off as he began to play:

So bad..a person a like you..
Why did you take my heart without my permission?
Im living with so much difficulty
But you dont even know.


I know.. that its not me
That im not worthy enough for even a blink of your eye
But sometimes cant you share your smile with me too?
Even if its not love


*Please turn back just once sometime
If I wait endlessly like this today
Again its the one word in my heart that I cant keep inside
I love you.


Yesterday, I layed my head on my desk
And I think I fell asleep grieving for you
When I opened my eyes, the tears had smudged
Your name and hopeless doodles


repeat *


As I look at your back image
which I got so used to
I say those silent tear-like words,
I love you.

There was not a dry eye except for the children who sat there in awe as their king moved them with the song.
“Wow,” Eric had to wipe his eyes. “Is that going on your first album?” This got everyone’s attention. When was he going to release a CD?
“Yes, this will come out in June.” People started to clap in response to the news. Eunsun blinked, like she didn’t understand it.

“Happy birthday my princess,” Youngmin reached out for Soo-yoon to come to him and she sat on his lap giving him a hug while HoDong held the guitar. He sang another song, this time the pororo theme and the three bears before singing Balloons for the last time. It was then time for the birthday cake which was a seven story’s chocolate mud on the top and bottom. Sponge on the next two from the bottom up, white chocolate on the one below the top and the other two were banana flavor. The large masterpiece was decorated with rose pink icing with orange detailing around the circumference of the cakes and flowers revolved around on the sides. These were made out of marzipan. They all sang happy birthday to Soo-yoon and she blew the cake while being held by her mum and dad.

“Sorry honey,” Eunsun told her step daughter as they sat with the kids on the rugs to eat their cake, “they had schedules to go to which is why they couldn’t make it.”

“Was she asking about TVXQ?” Eric asked as he spilt crumbs down his waist coat. He gave a sigh as he started plucking them off.

“Yes they were meant to sing balloons with some members from Super Junior,” Youngmin explained as he took a seat beside his family, “but they had to cancel at the last minute.” Eric nodded as he understood.

“Eunsun-ah are you there?”

“Oh excuse me uncle’s calling me.” Eunsun put her plate down and excused herself; while she was leaving a sudden thought crossed Youngmin’s mind. He didn’t have to say it straight away for his friend to know he was troubled.

“Just go and say it, the kids wouldn’t care.”

“Has she been acting strange around you?” Youngmin asked as he placed his plate down beside him, “she’s been quiet. More than usually, I’m starting to worry.”

“What could have changed in the past; how long has it been like that for you?”

“Not for very long; about two weeks or so if I can remember correctly.”

“Whoa,” Eric had to whistle, “so long enough?”

“I would say.” Youngmin’s face showed his disappointment at being confused. “She won’t say anything. Normally she speaks up, if not in a quiet voice but not now…” He let out a breath, “has she said anything to you?”

“Nope, not that I know of,” Eric was of little help. “Maybe talk to Donggun-sshi. He would probably give you better help on the topic.”

“I would if he hasn’t been so busy lately,” Youngmin said, “he’s been cooped up in his office. Hyori isn’t saying much about it. She just brushes me off by saying it’s a project given to him by the government.” This statement managed to change Eric’s expression into a frown.

“That’s weird… Usually I intercept some relational documentation when it comes to the government. I wonder why I haven’t come across any.” Youngmin was surprised too but it wasn’t enough to make either of them ponder on the subject further.

 ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

­­­­When will this end?! LOL it will be soon-ish. Probably will be no more than 70 something chapters (I will probably be sick of it by then). Should I include Shinhwa as well in the next chapter just to make you guys smile? For my longest fanfic it isn’t that popular -___-. The songs used are Tim’s I love you and DBSK’s Balloons. Last time I saw Balloons being performed was on Dream High 2. Made me very teary eyed.

In the next chapter Donggun’s plan finally is put into action and we start to see some of the consequences to it.