63. Suspicions and deception

Eunsun: A star for the king

For the next week an unfamiliar face roamed around the palace sneaking into corners taking photographs and making notes in his tape recorder. No one in the palace seemed to notice or pay much attention to him. There were other more important matters that had the most attention.

At the end of the week he was ushered into Donggun’s office with his report. Donggun sat at his desk with his legs crossed. “Well, what did you find?”

“Well there’s a lot of evidence to suspect that Hodong is indeed what you said he was,” ChoiSung handed him the manila folder; “he is indeed a Christian or a believer in God.” Donggun saw the photographs paper clipped to the paper documents, one was of a book, it had ‘Bible’ printed on the front in gold on the black leather. There were also photographs of a stack of CD’s that had labels of Christian musicians or the titles of the albums had religious themes.

“It’s not just that,” ChoiSung added, “from what I’ve gathered, HoDong-sshi’s behavior is that to what people would say is a stereotype of the common believer.” Donggun let out air through a thin gap in his mouth. His eyebrows came down at the bridge of his nose. He then took out his cheque book and wrote out the fee, “Has the society mentioned anything about fabricating a possible decree?”

“They have the template planned,” ChoiSung began, “they just need the final details which I’ve already faxed to them. It will be ready for you by the end of the month.”

“Aish it will take that long?” Donggun sighed, “very well.” He stood up along with ChoiSung to shake his hand, “thank you for your time.”

“Pleasure,” ChoiSung glanced at the written cheque before putting it in a pocket, “have a good life. The CEO will reward you for your efforts with removing this country from that plague of spiritual profanity.” Donggun nodded. ChoiSung left his office without making a single noise, leaving no trance that he was once there. Donggun smiled to himself as he opened up one of his drawers. He took out the bottom of the draw to reveal a hidden compartment within the drawer. He placed it there, lying it flat before placing the fake bottom back into position.

***

“Ah Eunsun-ah,” Youngmin spotted his wife talking to the chef, “what’s the news with the cake?” He had returned a week later like he had promised and was now getting ready for Soo-yoon’s party.

“He’s happy to make it for us,” Eunsun said as the chef bowed to the king and nodded with a smile. Youngmin returned the smile, “excellent. Soo-yoon ah will have a grand birthday indeed.” The chef excused himself to let the husband and wife talk.

“What’s been on your mind?” Youngmin asked as they sat on the bench in their favorite spot in the garden.  “Honey,” Eunsun fumbled the words around in her mind, “isn’t this a bit much? I know she hasn’t had a birthday party since last year but—“

“—Then what’s the problem?” Youngmin shrugged, “it can all be afforded, the cake, the piñata, the ponies…”

“—We’re getting ponies just for the party?”

Only for the day,” Youngmin didn’t get the point. “We’ll be getting two, isn’t it a great idea to have them?”

“Well…” Eunsun wasn’t sure if she should bother any further.

“So there isn’t a problem?” Youngmin was already standing up, ready to move on. With some reluctance Eunsun shook her head.

“Good,” he kissed her on the side of her head, “I’d better get back to it then. Only two weeks left until my little princess is seven.” He was on his way happily whistling while his wife sat in her anxiety. She had felt something had been wrong for a while.

***

“EUNSUN,” Hodong bellowed startling his niece. She hurried into his living room where he was standing, “have you been going through my things?”

“No uncle why would I…?” He picked up a CD wiping along the glass casing with a finger.

“The dust has been disturbed on it,” he handed it to her to show, “haven’t listened to it in years yet there’s no sign of this left.” Eunsun peered at the cover. He wasn’t being dishonest that was certain. “Uncle, it could have been a maid. You know one comes in every Friday afternoon…”

“—I gave her clear instructions for them to not touch my CD collection and she gave me her word!” He sighed, the outburst not doing any good for him or for any logic to flow. “Hmm, I guess I may be overreacting.”

“I would say so,” Eunsun agreed choosing not to mention to him the horrible feeling she’d been having the past week. “I need to finish the invitations with the girls. I’ll come by later.” With that she closed the door behind her walking back to the royal quarters.

“I’m so bored.” Gyuri sighed as she placed another invitation in the cream envelope to give to the er; Jiyoung.

“Well we only have…” Seungyeon paused to count the pile of un-finished cards, “two hundred left.” The other four let out groans, Eunsun chuckled in her position. She was at the table writing the guest names on the dashed line.  “Hey what’s this?” Hara suddenly stood up, crawling to the window. She peered through the bars on the balcony. 

“Hara you shouldn’t be spying…” Eunsun began to scold.

“Shhh,” Hara put a finger to her lips, “it’s just Donggun oppa.”

“He’s an ahjussi not oppa,” Gyuri got up too, “what is so important anyway?”

“Shh he’s on the phone,” Hara tugged at Gyuris’ skirt to be quiet. They sat by the bars, listening in to Donggun’s conversation.

“Yes three weeks away is still too long.” Donggun was pacing in a circle. “W-what do you mean ‘do you want it done properly?! I pay for that leather upholstery in your car which your sits on!” He paused as the person on the line talked for a bit. “Yes I get that but…” He sighed heavily, letting out the air gradually. “Fine, a week and a half will do. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t complete; I just need it soon so that it can be signed.” He hung up the phone with a snap before placing it in his pocket.

“What was that?” Hara asked a little too loudly.

“Shush,” Gyuri hit her in the side, “now you’re being noisy!”

“Girls, come back inside!” Eunsun called to them in which they complied.

“What could he mean by three weeks?” The girls looked at Hara who was busy pondering.

“Who knows,” Gyuri answered, “maybe it’s a project of some sort.” She turned to Eunsun, “unnie what do you think? Has he got any?” Eunsun frowned as she thought and then shook her head; “none that I can think of.”

“Hmm, maybe it’s a secret project,” Hara decided raising a finger up, “maybe we should investigate.”

“Now you’re being silly,” Nicole told her with them all giggling. Eunsun was smiling too but at the back of her mind she did have the feeling she may have been onto something.

***

Her plans changed. She ended up going the opposite direction of her uncle’s living area and towards the offices in the palace. She stopped at the door, hesitating before knocking.

“It’s open,” the servant stepped in to let Eunsun go through. Donggun had papers everywhere on his desk, he was there with glasses reading a large booklet.

“Your majesty,” he got up and bowed to her, “what brings you to my office at this hour?”

“Just a spontaneous thought,” Eunsun friendly said to him. “I won’t take up too much of your time.”

“It is fine with me, take however long you want.”

“Are you being kept busy at the moment?” Eunsun asked with caution. “I mean, are you leading in any projects with the government?” Donggun adjusted his posture.

“Mm, not recently no. Right now I’m just getting through the legal structures of the rest of the ministers and heads of states. It’s a tiring and laborious task but one which I should be able to complete by the end of the month.” Eunsun nodded, it didn’t sound like anything to do with what Hara had been hinting before.

“Alright,” Eunsun moved, “I should go.”

“Have a good night your majesty,” Donggun got up to see her to the door. His chair swiveled on its wheels, the armrest knocked papers onto the floor.

“Oh drat,” Donggun said as Eunsun crouched down to help him. One of the papers caught her eye; she only glanced at the first letters before Donggun took it from her. “A queen should not be lowering herself to do such menial jobs,” Donggun commented. Eunsun just smiled as she stood, thanking him as he opened the door for her. Donggun let out a curse word, his eyes focusing on the papers that had just fallen.

Eunsun’s mind was a whirl. She walked back to her quarters as calmly as she could but it didn’t ease the dread that was filling up inside her.  The letters on the top of a letterhead were A.R.S

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

And I finally updated. Man oh man I’m sorry about that guys, (not that there’s many of you hehe). So we’re getting closer to the end but I don’t know when it will be. If this wasn’t so long I would consider having this reviewed but well… The reviewer may die from reading so much XD. Keep reading, suggesting, commenting, anything to let me know you still are here :D.