4. Palace life for a non royal

Eunsun: A star for the king

Eunsun woke on a bed that she’d never seen before. It was a simple wooden one with a dark blue bed cover. The walls were deep gold wallpaper with the Sharon Rose pattern on it. She sat up and saw her suitcase at the foot of her bed. Glancing around she realized that she wasn’t sharing this room alone. There were three other beds in the room all of which were empty. Girls’ clothes were strewn on one bed while a wardrobe door was opened with some garments on coat hangers. She saw something white poking out from the suitcase zip. She pulled free a piece of paper which had her name written in HoDong’s handwriting.

“To my dear Eunsun-ah, I know by the time you are reading this that you will be at the palace learning about why you are there and how long you will be there for. You were chosen to participate as one of the one hundred women to be the future queen of Korea. You were nominated by someone and I don’t know who but I hope that you will return home safely.” Her eyes misted as she continued to read, “Stay safe and don’t let anyone know of your faith. It could bring you danger and jeopardize your chance of coming back to me safely. I’ll be praying every night for your safe return until you come home again. Bless you my precious star, lots of love your Uncle HoDong.” Eunsun lifted her head feeling a tear trickle down her cheek. She wiped it the moment there was a knock on the door.

“You are required to come to the East courtyard,” a servant said to her, “I am to accompany you.” She nodded and put the paper in her jean pocket. She left the room and the door was closed behind her as she followed the servant.

***

He took her to a courtyard where ninety nine other women were standing, all disheveled like she was feeling. A few bit back tears while brave souls wept openly.

“Ladies ladies what is this I hear?” Their attention was directed to the handsome man standing on the steps. He was in a beige dress pants and a light yellow shirt with a beige waist coat. Eunsun recognized him immediately, it was Eric.

“That’s better,” he grinned coyly as he faced them, “I just want to say welcome to the first day of possible new beginnings. I am Eric, the personal assistant of his majesty King Timothy and your host for the next three hundred and so days. He was given a clip board which he scanned.

“Ok now here’s what is going to be happening for the time you are here. For the next three hundred and sixty five days you will be living in the palace charge free. You will have access to beauty consultants, hairdressers, pedicure and manicurists; nutritionists, personal trainers, speaking coaches, dentists, dermatologists and not to mention doctors. We wouldn’t want you giving you the king some nasties would you?” He laughed at his remark while the ladies stood dumbfounded. He quickly recovered after his moment of humiliation.

“Also included are masseurs and plastic surgeons, now onto the next part. You get access to them for the whole year free.” There were exclamations of delight and surprise.

“Also you get to choose one outfit, and I mean one for your date with the king around this time next year as well as the makeup and jewelry etc so I would choose widely.” There were more happy squeals.

“There is however one condition,” the cheering died down, “if you are unsuccessful with your date with the king you will be escorted home with your belongings and any appointments, outstanding credits etc will be cancelled and you may even have to pay back what was overspent.” He gestured for the clipboard again.

“Covered that and that, ah now the rules,” he cleared his throat, “all of the facilities I mentioned before are free however you are not to book appointments for those outside of the competition. Anyone caught giving away massages and hair cuts will immediately be eliminated and have to leave the palace. You will come to visit my office once a month for me to check on your progress and show your current ranking. Also you are not to fraternize with any of the palace staff, especially if its women.” Everyone’s eyes widened.

“You will see his majesty from time to time as he is to observe you in case he chooses his queen firsthand before the dates but you are to avoid going to him unless invited. Violation of this punishment may prove to be humiliating for you all.” They nodded in unison.

“Alright good, now when you return to your rooms you will find a basket on your bed with some gifts as tokens of our appreciation for coming here. That is all thank you ladies,” Eric clapped his hands and dispersed them. He started to leave when he remembered something.

“Oh yes your meals will be held in the hallway that way,” he pointed to the right and they all went there.

“Isn’t this exciting?” One woman exclaimed with red streaks in her hair. Eunsun was reluctant to voice her disagreement.

“I want to go home,” another said with a baby voice.

“Me too,” another added.

***

They came to the large table prepared where they all found a seat. They were able to help themselves to the rice, stews, fruit and the other breakfast foods. Eunsun closed her eyes to pray but then remembered what her Uncle told her and just said grace with her eyes open and shut.

She then managed to find her way back to her room where the three other girls were going through their baskets.

“Wow Chanel number five,” one of them piped as she squirted the fragrance on her neck.

“These are expensive,” another had the found skin care products in her basket.

“And look at these gorgeous things,” the third was wearing a pair of bug eyed sunglasses causing the other two to laugh. Eunsun stared at the material things in her basket. It seemed all too much for a simple girl like her.

“Hey what’s the matter?” She looked up at the girl with the perfume, “not enough for you?”

“Yeah look at how plain she is.” The skin care one pointed out.

“She probably doesn’t even know what Chanel is.” Their words hurt Eunsun though she didn’t express it. She got off her bed and carried her basket to them.

“Here, I don’t want any of it.” They were shocked.

“Are you crazy?” One of them yanked it out of her hands, “do you want to be the first to leave?”

“Better than being here,” Eunsun said in a quiet voice as they continued to talk behind her back.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Aww poor Eunsun, still those women are lucky as!